Help! Prob With Biorb Heater And/or Thermometer

Author Topic: Help! Prob with biorb heater and/or thermometer  (Read 13318 times) 14 replies

Offline Treacle eater

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Help! Prob with biorb heater and/or thermometer
« on: November 16, 2015, 03:45:28 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
My 30L biorb tank had settled nicely and had happy fish. I kept an eye on temp etc which usually was between 24-25 C . But today I was really worried as temp showed 27.9 so immediately I turned off the heater and took it out, left the lid open etc..temp still showed it rising.
Googling seemed to suggest that people found these biorb heaters did have a tendency to fail and poach the poor fish.
But I don't know if it's the thermometer or the heater..or both.

Right now the fish seem OK. But I'm concerned to put this heater back in case it is the culprit- is there an alternative better heater suitable for this newbie's biorb? Is there a more reliable thermometer I could look at?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Help! Prob with biorb heater and/or thermometer
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 04:22:12 PM »
What kind of thermometer are you using?
The kind that stick on the outside and change colour are not terribly reliable because, being on the outside, they can be affected by the air temperature of the room. The kind that go inside the tank with a column of liquid are better, and also digital ones. I see that the heater pack includes the 'column of liquid' type.

It does seem odd if the temp still went up after turning the heater off. Silly question, have you turned the central heating up so the room is very warm?

As for a replacement heater, how long is the heater that is designed for the tank? There are a few makes that are short - I looked into them when I needed one for my quarantine tank. What is the maximum length your biorb can fit in it?

Offline Treacle eater

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 06:07:49 PM »
You're right, it seemed incredibly odd to me that the heat continued to rise despite physically removing the heater!

The thermometer actually is a digital readout one as opposed to the stick one, it did come with the set up although I see that they seem to include the stick one now. The one I have sits inside the tank.

I looked at the leaflet that originally came with the heater - it says that any other heater used should not exceed 20cm.

Oh, and the answer to your Not at all silly question, was the central heating turned up... No, my room temp was measuring 19C and the heating wasn't on (I've yet to cross that dreaded issue when I do need the heating on).

I feel nervous now, I don't trust the biorb heater, especially when I read that others have reported it failing and overheating.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 06:58:21 PM »
The cheapest thing to try first is to get a thermometer, one of those that goes inside the tank with the liquid going up a grid. That should tell you if the problem is a thermometer malfunction rather than a heater problem.

Should you need a new heater -
I have a Visitherm 25w heater in my betta's tank which is 18cm long. I used to have a Sera heater in my quarantine tank which was the same length - Sera say on their website that they are short and easy to install in small tanks. This heater was rather old when it finally started to leak - and had probably been abused going in and out of the QT.

Offline Treacle eater

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 07:24:32 PM »
Thanks for that info..ill sort a new thermometer as you suggest..if it gives the same reading as the current (digital) one then I think I might invest in the sera one.
I haven't got a lot of money but I just can't bear the thought they could all cook  :(

It is quite hard, this fish keeping business, the emotional investment is far more than I ever realised.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 11:07:31 PM »
I know, fishkeeping is supposed to be a relaxing hobby. And it is, when things are going well.

But when things aren't, and you're worried about your fish it can be really stressful.

Good luck. Hope you figure it all out soon.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Treacle eater

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 08:57:24 AM »
... Yep, and here was I thinking it might be nice to have another tank (non biorb) as I'd been really  loving seeing my fish. Now I am feeling uncertain. I mean, it's not like having a puppy or a kitten..you can wake up one morning and just find the heater has boiled your fish.
And next week they are turning the electric off for the best part of the day - what on earth do I do then!

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 10:50:07 AM »
And next week they are turning the electric off for the best part of the day - what on earth do I do then!

There's a nice article here which offers good advice for when you have a power outage.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Treacle eater

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 01:28:54 PM »
thanks for that link Simon..when it talks about a battery operated air pump, which I think I'll get in view of the power cut that is due (it's for the best part of daylight hours) ... it says to be sure to place it near the filter media.. is that just the ceramic media in the biorb tank? or does it mean the sponge thing inside the acrylic tube in the centre? Pardon for my ignorance but I want to be placing it correctly .  When I look at where the bubbles are coming from in the tank, they come up that centre tube, so I'm a little confused...

But thanks for that great link.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 02:07:47 PM »
How long will the electricity be off? Last year mine was off all day and my 3 tanks came through with no problems.
Using a battery powered air pump will keep the water circulating and this should keep your bacteria alive. They are nowhere near as delicate as was thought when that article was written. I joined Thinkfish in 2006 (the old version of the site, not the current one which has only been going a couple of years) and the articles were all there then. I would put the tank end of the air line (sea chest ornament, air stone, whatever you choose) on top of the substrate.
Or, maybe push the air line tube underneath the rocks without disturbing them too much. You could do that in advance so any mess has time to settle, then connect it up to the pump just before the power goes off.

If you can move the tank to a room which can still be heated, do that. If not, wrap the tank in something as the article says.

Because this is a planned power cut, you can feed the fish more lightly for two or three days, then don't feed at all the day of the power cut. This means less ammonia will be going into the water on power cut day. Feed lightly again for the next day or two.

Keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels for a few days until you are sure the filter has come through OK. If you do see either or both above zero, you'll be going through a mini-cycle. It won't last long, just do water changes as necessary.

Offline Treacle eater

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 03:30:56 PM »
The power cut is planned for  about 6 hours unless something goes disastrously wrong. I'm glad the bacteria are more robust, that at least is less alarming. I've got some bubble wrap ready, all measured and cut to size as I'm not in a position to be able to move the tank.

Do you mean start feeding lightly a couple of days before the cut and then none on day then lightly also afterwards...or is the feeding lightly only afterwards?

Honestly...I'm more concerned over my fish than concerned about keeping ourselves warm, I've yet to decide whether to stay downstairs with fish for the duration or not, as the stairlift wont be operational..I think I'll be with the fish in case they need me.

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 03:37:36 PM »
Feed lightly for a couple of days before the cut, and a day or two after. And nothing on the day itself.

Offline Treacle eater

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 03:49:31 PM »
Ok, I've finally got it, thanks! Sorry to have been slow in following. Just scared to get it wrong I guess

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 03:51:03 PM »
It is scary. But take heart from the fact that my fish were all fine  :)

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 05:43:00 PM »
Hello Treacle. The only thing I would add is that a heater should never be remove as soon as you turn it off.
It won't do it any good.
Just leave it 15 mins or so before removing, though I do appreciate that you were concerned about the rising heat.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Help! Prob with biorb heater and/or thermometer "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post May 15, 2013, 07:43:10 AM
by ColinB
1 Replies
Last post November 25, 2013, 08:41:08 AM
by Sue
16 Replies
Last post September 25, 2015, 07:02:23 PM
by Alex_N
1 Replies
Last post June 14, 2016, 12:51:22 PM
by Robert
12 Replies
Last post September 16, 2019, 03:19:48 PM
by fcmf
2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2019, 11:40:53 AM
by Fishwife
14 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 05:59:45 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: