Help! Lethargic Betta, Serious Fin Damage,

Author Topic: Help! Lethargic betta, Serious fin damage,  (Read 3723 times) 8 replies

Offline Fiddlefish

• Fishy Member
Help! Lethargic betta, Serious fin damage,
« on: February 18, 2015, 06:31:29 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello,
Could you guys help me figure out what's wrong with Speck, my betta? I'm really scared about her.

Last week, I noticed she was having trouble swimming, she was having trouble keeping her tail up when she swam, and was resting more than usual. On Wednesday, I decided to fast her, and on thursday i left for a trip. I had a friend feed her a little bit on Sunday. I got back Monday, and Speck had a big chunk out of her tail, a piece out of her anal fin, and still couldn't swim normally!

Housing
What size is your tank?5g
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS and freeze dried (soaked)
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2X a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1X a day.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? dechlorinator and I started adding Seachem Stressgaurd yesterday.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: It was 10.0 yesterday (I was on a trip this weekend)
pH: 8.3
Hardness:
alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Big chunk out of her tail, piece missing from anal fin and small piece out of pectoral fin. The tip of one of her ventral fins are red. Also, (not sure if this has anything to do with it) the top of her caudal peduncle has no color, I thought it was just coloration but maybe it's an infection or something. I have a picture.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Difficulty swimming, she has to rest a lot. Maybe heavy breathing I'm not completely sure though. She's still wants food and tries to "dance" but she sinks.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? Before I left, she was having trouble trouble swimming, (sinking) I left for a trip on Thursday and returned yesterday and she had a big chunk out of her tail. She also has a tattered pectoral fin which has a bit of red in it, red tip on her ventral fin, two small chunks out of her anal fin.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Daily W/C (should I increase to 2X a day?), turned off her light and a 1/4 cap of Seachem Stressgaurd daily.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? I bought her as a baby over 2 months ago.

So, I'm not sure if it's tail biting and if it's finrot it's the scariest case I've ever had! Does anyone know and what should I do?? Thanks  :-[

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Help! Lethargic betta, Serious fin damage,
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 07:32:57 PM »
That looks nasty  :(

The red fin tips sounds a bit like septicaemia which would fit with the lethargy and not swimming properly. And it could also account for the disappearing fins.

We can't get meds like antibiotics in the UK without an expensive vet's prescription; the next best medication to try is eSHa 2000.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 08:00:39 PM »
Hi fiddlefish,

Just a thought i've had while reading your thread, if she is having trouble swimming and keeps sinking, is she able to reach the surface to breathe ok?  If not you may need to think about providing a perch or something so she can rest near the surface.(I don't know your tank layout so forgive me if you have this covered!)

I really hope you can treat her and she gets well, losing a betta is soul destroying as they are such beautiful little characters.

Best wishes,

FC76

Offline Fiddlefish

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 01:09:22 AM »
Hi Sue,

I really hope it's not septicemia because I've had it before and never been able to cure it. :(
I'm not in the U.K. actually, I live in the U.S. Is it possible to get antibiotics for septicemia in America? I'm wondering also if the swim bladder problem is caused by bacteria, because I know she isn't constipated or bloated. I've been feeding her very lightly the past week.

Offline Fiddlefish

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 01:11:50 AM »
Hi fiddlefish,

Just a thought i've had while reading your thread, if she is having trouble swimming and keeps sinking, is she able to reach the surface to breathe ok?  If not you may need to think about providing a perch or something so she can rest near the surface.(I don't know your tank layout so forgive me if you have this covered!)

I really hope you can treat her and she gets well, losing a betta is soul destroying as they are such beautiful little characters.

Best wishes,

FC76

Hi!
Don't worry, she is getting to the surface quite easily, thank goodness. She also has a floating log that she loves.
And yes, losing a betta is horrible, I've already lost 3 in the past year and am not ready to lose another.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 03:24:40 AM »
I'm pretty sure that you can get antibiotics in the States. Just don't ask me which ones you need, or how you get them... although a drug-store might be the place to start. If nothing else, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiddlefish

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 04:20:28 AM »
Okay  :(
I'm asking for help with this on some other forums maybe they'll know what type of meds I need. We'll see... Hope she gets better. She still has a will to live (and for food).

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 04:59:58 AM »
You'll probably have better luck on a more american web-site.... We're do have some 'johnny foreigner' types here, but mostly they tend to be of the ex-colonial persuasion.  Now I know that, technically, the US qualifies as a colony; but don't tell anyone I said so.  ;). Mostly we are brits.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 03:33:04 PM »
A shop that sells fish should also sell antibiotics for fish. I know that Americans talk about gram positive and gram negative bacteria and the need to get the right kind of antibiotic; I have heard of Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 in the USA but I have no idea which one is for gram negative or positive I'm afraid.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Help! Lethargic betta, Serious fin damage, "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
13 Replies
Last post July 27, 2013, 10:03:34 AM
by ColB
1 Replies
Last post May 20, 2014, 12:44:48 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post December 04, 2015, 02:48:58 PM
by Alex_N
2 Replies
Last post November 18, 2016, 09:27:10 AM
by Littlefish
16 Replies
Last post April 18, 2018, 01:41:06 PM
by Emmdee
4 Replies
Last post August 21, 2019, 10:16:47 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post October 31, 2020, 11:02:51 AM
by Fishbeard

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: