Help! I've Jinxed Things!!

Author Topic: Help! I've jinxed things!!  (Read 9188 times) 21 replies

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Help! I've jinxed things!!
« on: March 26, 2013, 09:59:19 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
HELP!  I think I've jinxed things saying everybody looks healthy and happy....
I'm so upset, I've just found one of my little otos dead...and I don't know why?  Now, I'm terrified he hasn't 'just died' but that something is wrong within the tank.  I had a moment of panic when I could only find one of the other two otos, but I have now seen both.  They seem to be ok and are munching over the rocks, but then he seemed ok yesterday.  The only thing was I did comment to my hubby that one of them looked like he had a tiny break in his stripe colouration but they are so small and so quick it was hard to have a proper look.  I'm not sure also that when I noticed his stripe it didn't also look a tiny bit furry...almost like the tiniest piece of blanket weed, like you get in ponds.  I could have made that up though and been seeing things!  It was only slightly bigger than a pinhead.  Looking at him now, there is no sign of this 'fluff' but maybe a slight yellow discolouration at the same place. Could it have been an injury?
I've just remembered I have a magnifying glass and had a look at him with that , and yes, there is a bit of a yellowy mark.
Can anyone help, please?  Is this a disease?  Should I treat my tank with anything?  I'm due to do a water change today as well.

Any advice gratefully received...thanks.

Resa

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

Re: Help! I've jinxed things!!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 10:35:42 AM »
I'm really sorry, Resa - I know how hard it is to lose a fish.

Don't medicate with anything unless you're absolutely sure what you're medicating for - and you're not.

Oto's are notoriously difficult to keep alive for the first month or so 'cos they're treated so poorly in transport. The best thing to do is your normal water change and keep a close eye on the other two. Are they plump?

I would also say not to add any more fish until you're sure you don't have an infection of some sort in the tank. So you might want to wait a few more weeks for your pandas, especially if you do have to end up medicating the tank. Cory cats aren't so tolerant of medication as other fish.

A sad day. :(

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 11:08:36 AM »
Thanks Colin...yes, a very sad day  :(  I was so pleased with how everyone had been settling in, as well.
In answer to your question, yes, the otos do seem to be plump.  I had said to the other half just a few days ago how much they had seemed to have grown, and have been endlessly demanding of him....did he think they looked plumper, he felt that they did too.  I should have been more prepared for this...I know that otos have a reputation for not making it, but I had relaxed a little, thinking they would be ok as they seemed to be eating well.
So no, I won't get any more fish......probably ever!  Why aren't the little pandas hard as nails???  That would be so much easier.
I have a million things to do today but probably won't get anything done as I'm watching my fish like a hawk!  I so hope they will all be ok.

Thanks though, Colin, for your help.  I admit I did panic a bit when you weren't online and Sue had posted that she was going out! I have posted back to her that she is not allowed out and that you two must work shifts  :)

Resa

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 11:37:48 AM »

So no, I won't get any more fish......probably ever!  Why aren't the little pandas hard as nails???  That would be so much easier.

Oh yes you will. :)

That's how I felt when my guppies kept popping their clogs, and then the platies got worms and three of those went to the great aquarium in the sky. However; you reach an 'understanding' with your tank and you learn what's best for you and your water and your set-up and that's how fish-keeping develops. You can't 'force' a fish to like what you can give it - it's a bit like gardening and working with the soil etc (terroir?) you have. It takes time, and some losses, but it's worth it and continually rewarding as you learn more and gain experience.

Here endeth the lesson. ;)

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

TigzFish

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 11:49:27 AM »
I've just found one of my little otos dead...

My two Zebra Oto's lasted 18 and 51 days, so I know how you feel.  :'(  First one must have had a disease because it was left alone by the tank mates, the second was half eaten by the time I got to it.

Offline Resa

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 11:53:20 AM »
WORMS!!!  PLATYS!!!!   Eeek...now I've got something else to worry about!  How would I know if mine get worms??  My platys (the girls anyway) are looking very rotund....could that be worms?

Get you....terroir, indeed.  Yes, as a keen gardener, I know exactly what you mean.  There was a song that went something like...." I know what I want...and I want it NOW!"  My hubby has always said that it was written for me....cheeky sod! ;D

Resa
 :(

Offline Resa

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 11:56:48 AM »
Tigzfish.....were your otos very tiny when you got them?  Did they seem to be eating ok?  I don't know when my little fella died, he was there at bedtime.  No other fish were near him but there were three tiny snails on him....does that help with whether he had a disease or not?
Thanks...

Resa

TigzFish

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 12:02:18 PM »
Both Oto's were so reclusive I never saw either of them feed, other than the occasional dance over the glass.  Both were quite plump though.  I put in blanched courgette, catfish pellets and algae wafers, all of which my Shrimp loved.  Dropping the food in just prior to lights out meant that I could not observe their nocturnal activity.  Shame really, they were both fantastic looking fish.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 12:05:42 PM »
WORMS!!!  PLATYS!!!!   Eeek...now I've got something else to worry about!  How would I know if mine get worms??  My platys (the girls anyway) are looking very rotund....could that be worms?

Get you....terroir, indeed.  Yes, as a keen gardener, I know exactly what you mean.  There was a song that went something like...." I know what I want...and I want it NOW!"  My hubby has always said that it was written for me....cheeky sod! ;D

Resa

You can tell if the platies have worms by the thin, white, stringy poo. One of mine came with worms as an added extra and the others picked them up.

From what you say you might be about to increase your stock of platies by, errr, natural means.

Offline Resa

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 12:25:03 PM »
Ok.....now I'm frantically checking their poo!  I swear, the old man is about to have me committed ;D  It appears to be fish food coloured poo...I'm guessing that is all right then?

That would be lovely...but also worrying, if I have a health issue going on.  How long are they pregnant for?  When might I expect baby bubbles? :)

Resa

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 12:35:43 PM »
Platies give birth about once a month. If a platy's abdomen looks almost square when looked at from the side, it's only a matter of days.

Offline Resa

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 01:04:13 PM »
I've just asked my son...without telling him why or what....what shape he would describe the girls tummies as, and he said square!  Oops.....should I start collecting towels and boiling water :D

Watch this space! :)

Resa

Offline ColinB

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 03:51:37 PM »
Looks like you're going to be a mummy again!  ;D

I'm afraid to say that platies aren't the best parents in the world as the bestest parents don't usually eat their offspring.  :o If you want them to survive then the kiddies will need lots of hiding places like java moss etc.

Offline Resa

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 04:10:33 PM »
We-ell, I don't know about that....sometimes I wish I'd eaten mine.... ;D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 11:26:16 PM »
So sorry about your fish Resa :-( Fingers crossed it was just a one off poorly otto

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 11:31:47 PM »
Thanks Jesnon.....I'm really hoping so :(
I have told Sue and Colin they are only allowed out one at a time, and must organise a rota :)

Hope everything is going well in your fishy tank....

Resa
  :)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 11:19:57 AM »
Bonjour Resa.

There's loads and loads of very interesting stuff about Oto's here, and the article also contains links to other articles. Put the kettle on and settle down to a good read! :)

Offline Resa

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 01:15:27 PM »
Thank you for that Colin :)  The bloody broadband has been down again and has only just come up >:( >:(  It is extremely annoying!

I have been dying to post!!!  I went to check on my guppy, (who I am still worried about) and THERE right before my eyes....was a teeny-tiny fry :D :D :D  I'm so proud!  He won't last long however, if he insists on swimming in open water like he was ::)  I have seen 3, but they could have been the same one that I've spotted 3 times :-\
I don't know who mummy is....they both look just as fat!  Mr. Platy is following one around ardently, so I don't know if that's a clue, maybe he knows it's her popping out bite size pieces for his lunch!
I do hope some survive :)

As for my guppy, I can't quite put my finger on it and maybe I'm just jumpy after my poor little oto....but he isn't swimming with the others, but then the bully one is always nipping at him, so I probably wouldn't want to swim with them either!  He does seem to be staying in one place though, kind of swimming on the spot....is that what is known as shimmering?
What should I do about him....I really hope I haven't got any disease in my tank now.

All advice appreciated...

Resa

Offline ColinB

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 02:52:17 PM »
Congrats on the new arrivals. Do they have places to hide or are they destined to be on the menu?

You never can tell with guppies. Sometimes just the stress of 'moving house' seems enough to see them off. One of the first signs of an unwell guppy is fin-rot. Are you sure the chunk of tail was taken by another guppy because guppies, as surface feeders, don't really have the correct mouth shape to bite out tails? Is the missing bit very clean, or is there a bit of white around the wound? Is it getting bigger? My guppies occasionally rest on the gravel and occasionally shimmy.

A bad sign seems to be when they swim at 45o with their mouth at the surface, very noticable gill movement and using the surface plants for support. None of my guppies that showed this behaviour lasted for more than a week. Dragging along the bottom was also a bad sign.

Here's some helpful, yet grim, reading.(link)

At the moment.... close observation is best. Lots of hiding places are good so any extra plants you fancy might be a good idea, and keep an eye on your water parameters. You might want to move some of your decorations/rocks etc around as this can change a fishes idea of territory and can stop challenging behaviour.

Don't medicate for anything until you're sure what you have. If you need to use anti-fin-rot medicine in the future then I've used Interpet's Anti Fungus and Finrot #8 with good effect. But be warned, it dramatically lowers the oxygen content of the water and I had to rush out and buy an air-pump and bubble stone thingy to stop all my fish gasping and panting at the surface. It also caused an ammonia and nitrite spike 'cos the filter bacteria died off due to lack of oxygen.... and this didn't help the survival rate of my guppies either. The only good thing was all the snails headed to the surface too so I could catch them!

Don't panic - this is what I meant when I said the first month or so is the hardest.

Offline Resa

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 09:07:56 PM »
Colin...first of all...sorry for the delay in reply, our broadband has been absent for most of the day and even when it was up it was refusing to let me post....flipping annoying!

I do have quite a lot of planting and there are rocks as well so hopefully the babies will be able to hide.  I have just spotted 2 on the top of the weed, so fingers crossed.

As for my 'sick' guppy, he has been swimming about a bit more and with the others.  I have tried to look and there doesn't appear to be any whiteness around his poor tail.  I noticed his tail the day after I got them and just assumed bully guppy had done it as he is constantly after him and nudging at him.
I will keep a very close eye on him.

Resa

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Help! I've jinxed things!!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 09:11:41 PM
by daniel_james_taylor
2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2015, 05:40:41 PM
by AdyDnt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: