Sucker Mouth Catfish And Tetra Issues

Author Topic: Sucker Mouth Catfish and Tetra Issues  (Read 6740 times) 17 replies

Offline KB

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Sucker Mouth Catfish and Tetra Issues
« on: November 08, 2015, 06:33:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all! Hubby and I are new to fish - only been going a year. Recently our tank started leaking so we moved our fish (6 neon tetras, 2 cherry barbs and an odessa barb and a sucker mouth catfish) into temporary homes using the original tank water while we fixed the issue.
Since we moved them back into their original home, the neons have developed fin rot (unfortunately likely to do with stress Im guessing). Looks like cotton wool so we have treated them with Water Life White Spot and Fungus for the last three days. It seems to have stopped the issue spreading on their fins but not started to improve it yet. One neon has a small lump under his tummy - noticeable because none of the others do.
Our catfish has now started to be weird. He's lying upside down and on his side which he has never done before. He is also "swimming" by twisting round and round which we've never seen him do, although he's not swimming much at all! He's currently head down towards bottom of tank, on a plant. We are very worried about him. He's quite a favourite. The catfish is about 2inches long. He is very slightly red around the gills but it's not very noticeable.He seems to be breathing slower than normal but it's a bit hard to tell.
We have a 100l tank. We have been using strips to test the water but have seen that these are inaccurate. We are purchasing the liquid water testers. The readings on the strip were all within a good range other than the KH was slightly high - just over 10deg. We have just done a 30% water change.

My questions are:
- which is the best liquid water tester?
- we clearly have a problem in our tank but does anyone have any ideas what it is? Our guess is ammonite is high but without accurate readings it's hard to tell when the strips are saying all is well. Is a slightly high KH very bad? And if so are there any suggestions as to how we could rectify this?
- any idea what could be wrong with our catfish? we are so very fond of him we are both really concerned for his welfare.

Thank you all in advance! We are very new to this and learning every day. Hate to think we could be affecting our fish!

KB

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Flag Cichlid (1) - Platy (7) - Paradise Fish (1) - Neon Tetra (8) - Axelrods Rasbora (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) - Eight-banded False Barb (4) - Angelfish (1) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Sucker Mouth Catfish and Tetra Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 07:02:41 PM »
Hi KB  :wave:

Sorry your first post has to be because of something bad  :(

Firstly, can I ask what the catfish is. It covers a number of types of fish including corydoras and plecs. Knowing which you have will help.

KH next; despite what the strip instructions may say, there is not good or bad level of KH or GH unlike ammonia and nitrite. It depends on what the water is like coming out of your tap. GH is general hardness, and is a measure of the amount of calcium and magnesium in the water. This is what we are talking about when we say 'the kettle is always furring up because the water is so hard'. This is only 'bad' if you are trying to keep soft water fish (eg most tetras, south American cichlids) in hard water or hard water fish (livebearers, Rift Lake cichlids) in soft water.
KH is linked to hardness, and is a measure of the amount of carbonate in the water. This is what is called a buffer, that is it stops the pH of the water changing. If there low KH it can get used up and the pH drops. If the KH is high, the pH will be very stable and almost impossible to alter. The only not-good KH is one that is so low it is below 3 German degrees because of the possible impact on pH. So ignore what the strips say about 10 being 'slightly high'. It just means your pH won't crash. (Mine is 3 and I have had a pH crash!)

Now to the neons.
How long have you had them, and have you got any new fish in the last month?
Are they showing any other symptoms besides the finrot and the lump on one of them, eg bleached looking red area, blue stripe looking yellowish?
The best thing initially until we have a diagnosis is more water changes than usual, say 30% every other day for a couple of weeks. This will dilute any ammonia or nitrite that might be there despite the strip readings.

I use API liquid testers, you can buy them as a master set with ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and both pH and high range pH (though you only need one of them depending on the value of your pH). On-line is cheaper than a real shop but slower getting hold of it. There are other makes as well, maybe go shopping and see what you can find. Whichever make you buy, one of the bottles of nitrate tester will need to be shaken very well, the instructions will say which one. Failing to shake it till your arm falls off is the most common cause of inaccurate nitrate results  ;D

So in summary -
Ignore what the strips say about your KH
Have a close look at your neons for anything else wrong
Do more water changes, and if you need to dose med do it afterwards. Otherwise add enough med to treat the volume of new water.
Tell us what the catfish is, please.

Offline KB

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 07:49:36 PM »
Sue!  O:-)

I really appreciate your taking the time to get back to me! And with such a detailed answer. Thank you!

Fab re the KH. Thats good information to know!

Catfish - we actually didn't know. But in looking online at many pictures we are now certain it is a sucking loach. It is currently stationery and in an arched position slightly on its side, head pointing down towards the bottom of the tank on the grass plant in a corner of the tank. The gills look more reddy than they were when I originally posted but its hard to see him as he's in the grass plant and we don't want to disturb him. He's never behaved like this, poor dude. We hope he's not suffering  :(

Neons - all of them have bright blue stripes and there and the red area doesn't look bleached. We haven't introduced any new fish to the tank for a few months now. They've all been together for around 3.5 months. One neon is swimming fine and then every so often it swims a touch funny - as in not a smooth movement but jolted and then swims fine again (he's the one with the little lump) but looks fine other than this and all are eating well. We feed very small amounts 3 times a day and have them on flakes. Could it be a food issue? We did find one of the slightly smaller neons in between two plastic prongs of our Fluvial 205 filter this morning. We gently pushed him back out and he's been fine ever since but none of our fish has done that before.

Our barbs are looking fantastically healthy, very active and shoaling together.

Im shopping now for the API tester.

Thank you so much once again! Its MUCH-appreciated!

KB  :)

Flag Cichlid (1) - Platy (7) - Paradise Fish (1) - Neon Tetra (8) - Axelrods Rasbora (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) - Eight-banded False Barb (4) - Angelfish (1) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 08:04:27 PM »
Hi. Sorry to hear you're having troubles. Who said fishkeeping was a relaxing hobby?!? ;)

When you emptied the original tank to repair it, did you keep these original filter going in the temporary tank?

I'm wondering if your filter bacteria died, or the bacterial colonies dwindled to the point of no longer coping with the bio-load.

FWIW I use the API Master water testing kit and would gladly recommend it, although it is the only liquid kit I've used.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -

Offline KB

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 08:19:42 PM »
Hi Extreme-One!

We needed to put them into two separate temporary homes as the other tanks we had weren't big enough for all of them. The filter from the tank we were repairing went in with odessa barb and catfish. A different filter we had went in with the neons and cherry barbs.... Good point! I wouldn't have thought of that! I can see that may have affected the neons if the stress alone didn't cause the fin rot. Im not sure why the catfish is having issues. Unless we are feeding him incorrectly.

Yes we have had a few stressful situations with out fish - a tank completely cracking and losing all the water in the space of a couple of minutes (fortunately while we were circulating the tank ready for fish so no fish were in it at the time!) then developing that aforementioned slow leak... and some bad advice from pet stores which we won't return to. Even one dedicated fish shop told us some information which we later researched and found to be bad - that Japanese Fighting fish can live in a 15l tank with our sucker loach, 2 neons and a danio. We had no idea and of course we lost that beautiful fish! We have tried to research every fish we've had since then and checked in the community creator if they will work well together. We are quite cautious now; which we have learnt is the best way with fish. But we love them and while it isn't always relaxing we are getting a bit obsessed. I never thought Id be like this about fish!! But they are wonderful when you aren't panicking over their health! ;)

Thanks for your post. It's such a learning experience and so glad we have some people we can contact with more experience than us!

Ive just purchased the API master water testing kit for quick delivery. Im hoping the more accurate results will help us care for our fish in all the ways they require.

KB

Offline KB

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 08:22:21 PM »
oops sorry iv just seen you like to be called Simon!

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 08:39:32 PM »
oops sorry iv just seen you like to be called Simon!

No problem, it's just my usual username I use everywhere online, just doesn't really fit with the contemplative calm of this place, so my real name is better. But I like Extreme_One too.

From what you've said it doesn't sound like you'd have killed off all your bacteria, so hopefully you'll get on top of the issues quite quickly.

Let us know what your test kit shows for Ammonia and Nitrite, when it arrives.
Good luck!

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 09:32:40 PM »
The filter that went in the with the neons - had it been in the tank as well or was it out of the cupboard? If it was out of the cupboard it would have had no bacteria in it so the ammonia level could have built up and affected the neons. And neons do have a reputation for being delicate fish. This could explain why they have been badly affected. Keep on with the treatment, but if you don't feel it is working, run some carbon in the filter (or maybe in the other filter you mention) for 24 hours to remove the current med then try eSHa 2000. Throw the carbon away as it will be full of the med.

I will be honest with you and say it is not looking good for the catfish. I know you said it is your favourite, but you need to prepare for the worst.
And please don't replace it with another one, not now while there are problems in the tank, and not later when things have been sorted. Sucking loaches are not good community fish. They get too big for a 100 litre tank, and they get nasty as they mature. Can I suggest you read the last post in this thread for an example of why they aren't good community fish.

You have been unfortunate enough to find out for yourself one of the first lessons of fish keeping - don't trust the shop. Forums tend to be the best places because the members are all interested in fish and aren't trying to sell anything. Another good site for information is Seriously Fish. Their database has a lot more species than here, though it does help to know the latin names of fish you want to read up on.

Offline KB

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 09:52:14 PM »
Hi Sue

Many thanks again! Yes we have prepared for the worst but thank you for prompting us to as well. And funnily enough I had just read that sucker loaches get aggressive when older so we won't be replacing with another as we are pretty sure this one is not going to survive :( Unfortunately we were recommended getting him by the fish shop. We researched enough to know that you can't depend on catfish and bottom feeders to clean your tank without maintaining good water checks and changes (contrary to shop comments!) but didn't think to research whether he'd be a good community fish because we got him very early on in our fish-keeping journey. I will look at the post you linked too though. The more reading and understanding the better! With the size of our tank could we get any bottom feeders or will they all get too large?

We definitely won't be bringing any other fish into the tank until we are absolutely sure the conditions in ours are fully resolved and all the fish back to good health for a considerable period of time.

My husband has corrected me and said we had both filters in our original tank, so both came from the leaking tank, one went in one of the rescue tanks and one in the other. They are both back in the (now fixed) leaking tank - the 100l one. We let the rescue tanks run for a few days before moving the fish into them but couldn't leave it much longer as we had to sort the other tank as it was splitting the wood of the cabinet is was on and we were afraid it would break through.

In reading as much as we can about the sucker loach, it seems most likely that he has ammonia poisoning due to the red and slightly inflamed gills. Very sad. We have bought a treatment ready but will wait for the API liquid readings before we do anything because we want to treat the issue once we know what it is - not a best guess. Unless you'd suggest treating immediately?

Thanks so much for the links Il have a good read-up of those.

Once again - thank you. It's so helpful having people to bounce things off of. And lesson learnt with fish shops!  :-[

KB :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 09:56:53 PM »
Very sorry to read of your misfortunes - poor you and hubby.

Glad that others have been able to offer you helpful advice - water changes in particular are key to maintaining good water quality and all the more important at the current time until the situation settles.

My initial thoughts on reading your post were that the move to the quarantine tanks does seem to have been the 'catalyst' for the problems, possibly due to not having an established source of good bacteria in the filter media to cope with the ammonia in one/both of the quarantine tanks, and/or the stress factor.  If splitting up the fish between quarantine tanks or moving some of the fish out of the main tank to medicate them in a quarantine tank, then the best course of action is to generally put some of the existing filter media (eg sponge, filter wool) in each of the filters, so that each tank's filters have some established bacteria in them.  Hopefully that'll be helpful if you do go on to medicate any of them.  On that note, if you have any carbon in your filters, that should be removed before adding medication to the tank, to ensure that the medication gets a chance to work properly rather than getting absorbed by the carbon.

If the filter in one of the quarantine tanks were much stronger flow relative to the size of the tank and filter flow that the fish had come from, this may have an effect - I wonder if this might possibly be contributing to what seems like a buoyancy/swimbladder type of problem in the catfish and maybe even the neon caught in the filter.  If this might be the issue, then it might be useful if moving the filter from the main tank into the quarantine tank again, such as to medicate, to reduce the flow by squeezing some sponge into where the water comes out of the filter and using a small elastic band or such like to keep it in place.

I would be tempted not to feed the catfish flakes for a few days - if there is some sort of swimbladder/buoyancy problem, a change in diet to something more veg-based can often help eg tiny morsels of pea (after the shell has been taken off) or even a slice of courgette. In fact, all the fish might benefit from this anyway - even one pea, with the shell off and cut into tiny morsels, shared out between all the fish as the only food tomorrow. I feed my fish a pea once or twice a week, to provide variety in their diet and prevent constipation from their flake-/pellet-based diet.

It might also be worth taking a look at your water company's website, to find out what your PH and water hardness is. For example, if both were very high, then it's possible that the water may not be optimal for the type of fish you have (eg tetras and catfish are generally soft water fish), and that this unfortunate experience of the tank leak has exacerbated this. Although the immediate necessity is to try to get your fish better, once we know what your water hardness and PH is, others with more expertise may be able to advise further on how to optimise the conditions for your fish.

Hope this and others' advice helps - and best of luck!

Offline KB

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 10:26:21 PM »
Thanks fcmf!

We will feed our fish a pea with the shell off and cut into tiny bits tomorrow as you suggest and again on Wednesday! - thank you!
We will also do a 30% water change again tomorrow and the next day. We usually do 30% weekly. The test strips we have been using which we have now learn are unreliable may have been giving us false readings which is what we think has happened so hopefully we will get a clearer picture soon!
We will also act on your other advice too; in fact my hubby is busy as we speak!
Iv just taken a look on our water company's website and the water is hard in this area. the exact reading is 226mg/l (moderately hard is measured, by their website, as 150-200mg/l) so you may well be right in that the water isn't good for our fish.
If anyone has any ideas on how to help that situation we are all ears!
Crikey there is so much to learn. Glad we will know more and be better able to care for our little friends.

Thanks so much fcmf! Your help is really appreciated.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 10:35:31 PM »
If you have an Ammonia treatment, which will render Ammonia non-toxic, I would use it immediately. Which one do you have?

Don't use this instead of, but as well as frequent water changes.

Offline KB

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 10:41:29 PM »
Thanks Simon!

It's ordered for tomorrow and it is called Interpet Ammonia Remover. We will use it as soon as it arrives.

Many, many thanks!

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 01:40:50 PM »
Your 226ppm hardness is equivalent to 12 German degrees, for those sites that use that unit.
Seriously Fish lists neon's range with an upper limit of 215ppm hardness, so they are right at the edge of their comfort zone. It could be that the move to the temporary tank pushed them over the edge. Given their reputation, that wouldn't be difficult. Even though you moved a filter into both temporary tanks, it could be that the one that went in with the neons didn't have quite enough bacteria to deal with their waste, though any ammonia or nitrite would have been dealt with fairly quickly as the bacteria numbers would have increased in the presence of their food.

Do you find your cherry barbs feeding on the bottom? I have 7 natural coloured and 7 albino cherry barbs and they scour the bottom for food. Of course that might be due to the presence of a swarm of locusts in the tank, errrm sorry a shoal of emperor tetras, which eat all the mid water food in about 10 seconds  :-\
Once you get the problems sorted, it might be an idea to get more cherry barbs as they behave nicely in a shoal. They are fine at your hardness.
But if you do want true bottom dweller, look at corydoras. There are 3 species suitable for a tank your size, but only one of them is commonly available - pygmy cories. You won't find them in the database on here, so search for Corydoras pygmaeus on Seriously Fish (I gave you the link a few posts ago). The other 2 species are Corydoras hastatus and Corydoras habrosus. But it does depend on what is on the bottom of the tank. Cories in general do not like sharp gravel or sand as it can damage their barbels, and the dwarf species are better with smaller particles, by that I mean sand or small smooth gravel. Pygmy cories' hardness range is up to 15 German deg (SF website sometimes uses German deg, sometimes ppm!). But cories do tend to be on the delicate side, so if you do decide on them, wait a while.
Another bottom dweller to think about is the dwarf chain loach, provided your tank is around 80cm long and doesn't have sharp gravel. The downside is that they cost a lot and you'd need a minimum of 4, with 6 being better. This fish has changed its name several times recently. When you research it, it could be called Botia sidthimunki, Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki or Ambastaia sidthimunki.

You can always go window shopping in all your local shops and see what's available. But don't let them persuade into buying anything until the neons' illness is resolved.

Offline KB

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 10:38:24 PM »
Thank you so so much! We are keeping a very close eye on our tetras. Is there any way we can reduce the hardness of our water to help them? They are looking better today but we are not clear so we are continuing to treat them and we have fed them a pea today as suggested by someone yesterday; i think fcmf. I hadn't known before now that they were a sensitive species. We will do all we can to keep them as comfortable as possible, poor things.
I don't find the barbs eating at the bottom, but they shoal with the odessa nicely. In time, once the tank is healthy for a good amount of time we will get more cherries, they are beautiful fish.
We will look at Corydoras although we have fine white sand covering the bottom of the tank, and sections of gravel interspersed on top of this so I will look at the dwarf species.
I think we will be waiting a while to make any changes in the tank. We want to make sure everything is settled again for a while before we make any additions.
We lost the sucker loach today. A little sad but we were expecting it. As per your advice we won't be replacing him.

Thanks for all your help, advice, time... everything! We will be doing much research before we add to the tank.
KB x

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 07:50:36 AM »
I was wondering what you repaired the tank with? Maybe something in that is effecting your fish.

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 12:24:52 PM »
Good thought Fiona!

As regards 'softening' the tank water the only realistic way do this is by adding reverse osmosis (RO) water. This is water that has had everything dissolved in it removed, it is pure water. To use this you would need to add some to the new water at every water change. And it would mean that in an emergency, you couldn't use all tapwater as that would change the parameters too much in one go.
You can buy RO water from some shops, or you can buy an RO machine to make it yourself. The latter is not a good idea if you are on a water meter as it wastes a lot of water.
If you decide to go down this route, I can go into more detail of how to do it.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 02:01:18 PM »
Very sorry to hear that the catfish didn't make it.

If, once all of this settles/is resolved, you do get to the stage about thinking of other catfish, see http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,2161.0.html where and why I highly recommend getting them in decent-sized shoals, following my experience of pygmy cories.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sucker Mouth Catfish and Tetra Issues"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post March 29, 2013, 05:51:28 PM
by brecon
6 Replies
Last post May 15, 2013, 08:38:35 AM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 04:52:11 PM
by jesnon
2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2014, 05:07:39 PM
by louking13
2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2018, 05:18:45 PM
by Emmdee
15 Replies
Last post March 09, 2019, 07:21:34 PM
by Littlefish
8 Replies
Last post May 08, 2020, 08:37:00 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: