Frank The Betta Is Sick.

Author Topic: Frank the betta is sick.  (Read 4617 times) 10 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Frank the betta is sick.
« on: June 28, 2015, 05:54:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Last week I noticed Frank's tail and dorsal fin was looking a bit tatty and his tummy looked a bit swollen as if he had dropsy. I did a water check and the results were all normal but as a water change was almost due I did one anyway and dosed the tank with eSHa 2000 for the next 3 days. I tried feeding him bits of peas but he was having none of that and just kept spitting it out so I soaked some bloodworms in a solution of epsom salts and fed him those. Of course he yummed them up and next morning he was back to his svelte self again. I was expecting the finrot to get better in a day or two eSHa 2000 usually works quite fast but there's been no improvement, the meds have been in there a week now.

He's also not his usual busy self, he seems to be spending a lot of time sitting on plant leaves instead of swimming round his kingdom and although he's eating it's without his usual enthusiasm. When I turn his light on in the morning I always say hello to him and tap on the tank twice, he zooms over and when I show him the food bag he gets very excited and does a little wiggly dance and jumps out the water to take the food off my finger. This isnt the case atm  :(

I'd say he's lost about 1/4 of his dorsal fin and slightly more tail. The edges of his tail are now ragged and black and he's got stringy bits sloughing off.

My son has ordered some medicines for his puffers including one containing metronidazole which I could treat him with but they won't arrive for another 2 weeks. I don't know what else to do.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Frank the betta is sick.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 06:39:26 PM »
How long have you had Frank?

He sounds the same as my last betta for the last couple of months of his life. Mine died 23 months after I bought him, and betta's are anything from 6 months old when you buy them as it takes that time for their finnage to develop.

If you've had Frank for anything over 18 months, he is probably becoming an old man.

Do you have any garlic juice, or some cloves you can crush yourself? A lot of people swear by soaking flakes/pellets in that. It is a mild antiseptic so it could be worth a try while your son waits for the emds to arrive.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 07:57:35 PM »
I got him in the new year so its about 6 months, I know he was in the shop at least 6 months because I kept going to look  at him.. His lethargy is actually worse today, he's lying either on the bottom or on a plant if he can be othered to get up, I'll try soaking some blood worm in garlic and see what happens :( thanks Sue

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 01:49:30 PM »
He doesnt seem at all interested in food today. I've drained half the water out of his tank so he doesnt have too far to swim to breathe. Poor Frank, my son the big softie was almost in tears last night but we've done all we can for him I guess except to maybe help him on his way. I'm not sure what to do atm  :(

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 02:30:00 PM »
Sounds like you've tried a lot.

I'm not at all familiar with bettas.  Is aquarium salt an option for them?  I used to find it helped goldfish, sometimes bringing an overnight turnaround.  However, I know it's not "compatible" with some fish.

Just in case the heat is contributing in any way, are you in a position to keep the water cool/at the required temperature during the day?  (I appreciate that this will dilute the meds that are in there, though.)

The only other suggestion I have is that you contact an aquatic vet who might be able to prescribe something such as metronidazole that you've mentioned is en route.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 06:25:37 PM »
I got back from the shops a short while ago and he'd gone.

RIP Frankie Boy, you're missed already  :(

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 06:45:51 PM »
Ah Fiona I am sorry.

I know how it feels having lost my pretty silver cory yesterday.

I buried mine in the garden.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 07:28:49 PM »
Very sorry to hear this.

Like you and Sanjo, I've also lost a fish in the past week - my favourite cory, the one with the most distinctive character.  :(

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 07:30:58 PM »
Fiona, I'm so sorry to hear you lost Frank.
It does seem as though he was quite mature when you got him, but I know that doesn't make thinks easier! :(

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 07:42:58 PM »
Sorry for your loss. :-[

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 07:44:36 PM »
I'm sorry to hear this too.

If it helps, a lot of bettas don't live what we hope will be a long life because of the way they were treated before we buy them. Frank had a good life with you.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Frank the betta is sick."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2014, 07:10:25 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2014, 10:25:58 AM
by Cazzybaby
6 Replies
Last post January 23, 2015, 02:47:30 PM
by Fiona
5 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 02:13:44 PM
by SteveS
3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2015, 08:03:22 PM
by Fiona
7 Replies
Last post June 04, 2015, 12:45:38 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post January 01, 2023, 06:02:52 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: