Flys In My Tank

Author Topic: Flys in my tank  (Read 6010 times) 13 replies

Offline Outlaw20

• Fishy Contributor
Flys in my tank
« on: April 19, 2013, 07:00:57 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Please help my back filter tank is infested with green flies. I cannot get rid of them. I've tried water change, boiling ornaments and filters, completely new filters and pump and gravel. Cleaning chemicals in to clean tank, cycling the tank every time and still the flys come back. I haven't lost a fish yet but I think they must be getting fed up and stressed at being shifted all the time. I can't get rid of tank as its my little girls and she loves it. Plus I have to Hoover the ceiling everyday as they get out and look terrible. If anyone can help I have photos but they are too large for the forum site to upload.

Offline water watcher

• Fishy Member
  • Do we look after fish, or the water they're in?
Re: Flys in my tank
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 09:13:12 PM »
http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-77279.html 

try this link to another forum (is that allowed? apologies if not).

A number of people have had the same problem in the past - unfortunately the flies are not easy to get rid of. It seems the issue isn't your water but above the water line (eggs maybe laid in the water??)

Good luck

Offline Outlaw20

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 09:22:21 PM »
Cheers. Eggs definitely laid in water. I see them swimming around then sort of crawl out of water when fully grown fly. The incubation period is very quick. The life expectancy of the fly is pretty short so might try contain them and hope they kill themselves off. Thanks for trying.

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 11:44:43 PM »
By far the best idea is to post a picture of one of the flies as close up and in focus as possible.  If the image is too large to post you could use some photoeditting software to reduce it's size (fastone is a free application for windows, gimp is free for all systems). Alternatively, you could load the photo to somewhere like picasa and post a link here.

I suspect that what you have are aquatic insects along the lines of mayflies.  But without a picture it's guesswork I'm afraid.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Outlaw20

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 11:16:53 AM »
Thanks Steve. I have taken a photo as clear as I can get. Hopefully it loads up. Appreciate the help.

Offline SteveS

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 12:54:51 PM »
OK.  It isn't what I expected, now all we need is an insectologist!

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline SteveS

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 09:50:09 PM »
I am no expert, far from it, and the image isn't too hot.  I have spent a while on google, but I haven't seen anything.  I would suggest that you have a look, you have a good idea what you are looking for.  Start off with an image search for "aquatic flies" and see where it leads.

What fish do you have?  Most fish should relish the aquatic stage of such flies.  Do you overfeed them?  Try cutting back on the food and they might turn to your flies!

Offline Outlaw20

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 10:05:40 PM »
I have googled a few images and the closest I have seen is it looks like a green fly. I have cut back on the feeding but the flies are actually in the filter area which is at the back and separated from main tank area so the fish can't actually eat them as they only seem to nest in the filter. I am trying some anti fluke and worm medication. As yet no change yet but only been a day.

Offline SteveS

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 12:48:46 AM »
I don't think a sort of random medication approach is going to help much.  A much better, although more expensive, option would be a UV steriliser on the filter output.

Offline water watcher

• Fishy Member
  • Do we look after fish, or the water they're in?
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 08:27:34 AM »
I've had a good surf on the net and the only people that seem to have had any success getting rid of these flies have done so by by a combination of:

Guppies - they eat the flies and eggs

Very frequent water changes - keep an eye on your water stats

Killing/catching all flies, larva and eggs as often as you can

They reported this slowly reduced the number until they vanished.

Flies often like stagnant or calm back waters - i presume your back tank area is calm. try to agitate the water, use an air stone or a small internal filter just below the surface to get a good ripple on the surface.

Good luck, it sounds awful.

Offline Outlaw20

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 09:02:02 AM »
Cheers for the reply. I have been killing as many as I can. The water at the back is quite calm only movement is from the pump so I might drop in a air stone for a few days as it looks like the larvae seem to stick to the side when they are due to hatch, so if the water is moving they may well not hatch.

In relation to the water changes I'm thinking of doing 25% changes but a little unsure of how often as not to stress my fish, what would you suggest maybe every 3-4 days.

I have also limited the food intake, was also thinking of dropping in a holiday block of food rather than fish feast as this may eliminate a food source for the larvae.

Also to Steve s. cheers for the heads up on the uv steriliser looking into one. The medication was my local fish shop ideai so thought it was good shot. (Probably just trying to make a sale).

Thanks for help will let you know how it is going.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 09:11:49 AM »
I'll leave the flies to others but I can say don't use a holiday bloack. Many of them have a sort of plaster filler which makes an awful mess of the tank. If you want to avoid food floating on the surface, it would be better to try sinking pellets, or pre-soak flake food in a bit of water so it sinks straight away.

Offline Outlaw20

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 10:34:46 AM »
Cheers sue will give that a miss then. Will try the other tips.

Offline SteveS

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 05:00:33 PM »
2 thoughts:  First, you should be OK doing daily changes if you feel up to it.  Second, before you do each change, swish your net around the surface of the tank, It may scoop up any nasties.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Flys in my tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post October 17, 2012, 10:31:14 AM
by maz1
1 Replies
Last post October 18, 2012, 02:35:10 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2014, 01:00:46 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
5 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 10:04:20 AM
by maz1
Our Tank

Started by pmalipha Gallery Showcase

1 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 04:58:24 PM
by ColinB
5 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 08:38:57 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: