Fish Disapeared Without Trace.

Author Topic: Fish disapeared without trace.  (Read 3258 times) 5 replies

Offline Silksheen

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Fish disapeared without trace.
« on: December 23, 2015, 12:55:37 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I don't know if anyone here has had similar have in the past had the occasional fish die and removed the carcase but recently I noticed the numbers some what reduced. 5 have disappeared without any trace with no evidence of remains found during tank cleans. These are 2 green tetra's. 2 transparent looking ones, and a white one. The neon tetra's and golden barbles have been in residence for two years now.

Oh and one barbell did jump out of the tank one day and landed on the carpet, fortunately rescue was on hand and it was returned to the tank a bit be wildered but soon recovered from the ordeal.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Fish disapeared without trace.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 02:14:58 PM »
There are a couple of possibilities.
You have already discovered one - fish jumping out of the tank. Sometimes they end up down the back of the tank where you've got to look for them rather than just come across them, or possibly ending up inside a dog or cat if you have any of those.
Fish are very good at hiding - have you looked everywhere in the tank, including inside decor and the filter?
And living fish are very good at removing bodies. I have had fish disappear without trace including some biggish ones. Smaller fish are eaten faster, often within hours. I have on occasions found spines when I have been cleaning a tank, everything else has gone.
You don't say what other fish are in the tank, but I think this last one is the most likely scenario.

Offline tracymeg

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 03:48:53 PM »
How sad. I've only lost two fish in my time in the hobbie and I always get upset. Bit of a soppy mare.
I had a danio that I couldn't find for the life of me and it suddenly appeared after id removed everything from the tank.

Offline Silksheen

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 05:27:32 PM »
Thank you for your replies. I have no other pets so not that. Its only a small tank with fold down lid it would be easy to see any escapers. Also I noticed this before starting a water change making sure none were sucked up the pipe and into the bucket the ornament's are washed in the used water and checked with no trace of the fish or remains. There are 3 other fish with 3 black strips down and 3 with black pattern towards the tail. Could be an Alien encounter.  :yikes:

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 07:42:01 PM »
Do you know the names of the fish you have, and had? Common or Latin names. If you don't know, then pics would help to ID them. And also could you tell us the pH of the tank and the hardness of your water - you should be able to find the last one somewhere on your water supplier's website. That would help us to see whether or not the fish are compatible with each other, and if the water is suitable for all of them as those could be reasons for the 5 dying. You've mentioned neon tetras and gold barbs which shouldn't have compatibility problems. Neon tetras prefer soft acid water while the barbs can cope with a wide range of both hardness and pH.

In my experience of keeping fish for 19 years, fish will eat a dead fish in quite a short time.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 08:20:29 PM »
Like Sue I've lost quite a few fish and never found the carcasses. Bodies degrade fast in tropical water and you might not even get an ammonia spike if the filter bacteria is hale and healthy and a dead fish becomes food to a lot of different species.

I lost an oto 4 days ago, couldn't see him anywhere...until today. :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish disapeared without trace."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2014, 09:19:40 AM
by jesnon
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
by Robert
14 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 01:07:32 PM
by Extreme_One
0 Replies
Last post January 14, 2016, 09:27:06 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post October 28, 2022, 06:52:31 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: