Fish And Shrimp Deaths

Author Topic: Fish and shrimp deaths  (Read 8372 times) 22 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Fish and shrimp deaths
« on: August 13, 2014, 12:21:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Unfortunately things aren't going well in my tank at the minute. ..

I've nearly lost all of my shrimp yet again.  One I found had a black back and was still attached to my plant. The others have simply disappeared.  From 6 I can now only count 2. I think my shrimp keeping days are officially over. 

I'm not massively surprised about the death of my shrimps since I've previously not had any luck with them, but concerning me is the death of two of my oldest endlers. One was symptom free until suddenly he couldn't control his swimming and was spinning around the tank. I assumed this was seek bladder so took him out briefly and put him in a pot so he could eat some peas. After that he swam normally but rested at the bottom frequently and died the next day.  Another endler kept going missing and I found him right at the top of the tank near the opening every time.  Yesterday he was almost stuck on my floating plant.  He again had no control of his swimming and died last night.  My other fish seem fine but I'm concerned there's something going on in my tank... Or again are they just old? These are all my original fish dying. I now only have my fish Scutter from the original batch

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

Re: Fish and shrimp deaths
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 12:40:25 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Jesnon.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 12:46:36 PM »
https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090517214324AAk7rJj

Has a list of shrimp lifespans, maybe it is just old age...

Sorry to hear it though Jesnon,  hope that helps on the shrimp front at least

Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 11:33:57 AM »
Unfortunately it's not old age with my shrimp as they were bought very recently.  Thanks anyway though!

I've now lost another fish.  One of my 'oldest' new fish, one of three I bought after my tank settled after the move.  I still think of them as new fish but I realised I may have had them around a year now. 

Still I'm concerned something is going on. ..

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 08:46:14 AM »
Another of my fish that was fine before now seems to be dying :-(

Offline TamHaHaoJai

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 12:48:33 PM »
I don't understand. Can you description for me?
If I do it same you. How can I do it?

Offline jesnon

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 10:12:35 PM »
Well things are still going badly.  Another of my older new fish has died.  I'm left with only 4 now, one of which isn't even supposed to be in my tank and another of which has a really ragged looking tail.  None of the other fish had this so I'm confused about where that has come from and whether it's disease or injury. 

I have one shrimp left now.  I suspect she's the same shrimp that survived the previous batch of shrimp.  She shall henceforth be known as Survivor

I'm concerned to say the least about my tank as next weekend I go on my 7 day holiday :-/

Offline Resa

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 12:47:22 AM »
Oh, really sorry to hear you're having such awful problems Jesnon. :( I hope someone can get to the bottom of it for you....and soon.

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 10:27:51 AM »
Originally I thought it was just old age but it's too suspicious it's happening at the same time! Really rubbish :-(

Lovely to see you back though was beginning to wonder what had happened to you!

Offline Resa

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 12:14:58 PM »
Thanks Jesnon. I had a spell back in hospital and then have just been mad busy with work, house, garden, kids etc...
Everything is hopefully calming down a bit soon, so i shall be able to chat to my fishy mates again :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 01:11:02 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your fish and shrimps. I don't really know what to suggest.

You don't use air fresheners or hairspray in the same room, or anything like that?

Do you live in a block of flats that shares the same communal water supply? It occurs to me it may be something to do with the water since this has only happened since you moved. Well, the endlers anyway. If you do have this type of water supply, do they add something to the water?

As you can see, I'm grasping at straws  :-\

Offline jesnon

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 06:20:38 PM »
Ahh sorry to hear that Resa hope you're doing better now. 

Thank you Sue, a straw is better than nothing hehe. 

No sprays or anything in the room... I'm not sure about whether our water supply is communal I guess it would be? I'm not sure what it is but it does seem the water here just isn't working!!

Another symptom I spotted, the dead fish seem like their spine is almost curled? Don't know if that sounds like anything. ..

Offline jesnon

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 09:32:18 PM »
Not sure if you can see the 'bend' of the fish at the back?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 11:20:32 AM »
Bent spines are apparently a common genetic deformity in livebearers, caused by inbreeding. Was your endler showing the bent spine before it died of just after? If it was just after it could be something that happens to the body after death, or it may have had a slight bend before which became more pronounced when it died.
I have seen reference to guppies with bent spines responding to Interpet anti-internal bacteria, though I don't know what that would do to your shrimp. Though if it's genetic as most sources suggest, I don't see how a medication could cure it  ???

Offline jesnon

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 11:46:58 AM »
That's the odd thing the spines show up when they suddenly become ill and then it is most noticeable once they've died.  I actually jumped the gun earlier and assumed the fish in the photo had died over night but he turned up again looking like that with a more noticeable bend which reminded me of two of the others that died. Surely it couldn't be genetic if they haven't always had it? Very strange.  Maybe I should get some interpret just in case

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 12:46:16 AM »
Ive had abit of a read around on some other forums for this Jesnon and some people suggest its from a form of stress but that they should straighten out the other 2 suggestions that ive found mentioned often is Scoliosis or fish TB which in the latter case could be bad but im not sure how they would catch it if you've not added anything new?? Could it be stress?

Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2014, 06:49:29 PM »
Thanks for that Rich. Hmm I guess it could be stress, though not sure what would cause that with my fish.  They are probably stressed now as there's only three fish as opposed to the 8 normally!

I added two new fish, shrimp and a snail a while back and one of the new fish died the day after but I would think it was too long a gap to be related.  I hope it's not TB anyway!

One of my fish has completely disappeared overnight and the poorly one died. Things are not looking good :-( my shrimp has disappeared too. 

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 07:32:02 PM »
Where is your tank in your place Jesnon? What's it near?

Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 05:15:20 PM »
Where is your tank in your place Jesnon? What's it near?

It's in my open plan lounge kitchen dining room on my coffee table next to the sofa. It's in a corner but relatively near my balcony door

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 01:54:51 PM »
Was thinking it could be near some sort of air exchange like an extractor fan? Did you say you'd moved in to an apartment? As these can have extractor fans that all lead in to the same ventilation unit.  Also they can have shared water which can lead from a pumping room which can sometimes have issues with not filtering metals out? Or in some cases adding metals in if they malfunction?

Tags: shrimp advice 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish and shrimp deaths"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post May 22, 2014, 04:12:09 PM
by chris213
3 Replies
Last post January 22, 2015, 09:06:07 PM
by Wild Rover
6 Replies
Last post April 27, 2015, 07:05:21 PM
by Sanjo
11 Replies
Last post March 25, 2016, 03:54:42 PM
by Richard W
7 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 07:02:01 AM
by Hampalong
0 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 08:44:19 PM
by Matt
3 Replies
Last post October 16, 2018, 09:49:40 PM
by Lynne W

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: