Female Goldeneye With Camallanus Worms

Author Topic: Female Goldeneye with Camallanus Worms  (Read 8728 times) 28 replies

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Female Goldeneye with Camallanus Worms
« on: March 10, 2019, 08:24:20 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I discovered today that my female goldeneye has Camallanus Worms  :'(

I took apart the entire tank to catch her and have set up a hospital tank for her with AquaCare Anti-Fluke & Wormer medication. Active ingredient is Flubendazole. Her gut was quite swollen and there were probably 4 ish visible worms.

I'm fairly happy that I'm doing all I can for her but also open to any thoughts??  I do want to understand people's thoughts on whether the main tank is now infected and what I should be doing (bearing in mind it has shrimp)?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Female Goldeneye with Camallanus Worms
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 08:39:43 PM »
The whole tank will be infected. The worms which we see protruding from the anus are the female worms laying eggs into the water. Fish either eat the eggs and get infected or they eat the larvae that hatch from the eggs, and get infected. If you've seen worms, there will be eggs.
Most treatments say to dose twice, the first time kills the worms inside the fish, and any larvae in the tank but not the eggs. The second dose is after the eggs have hatched but soon enough so that the eggs and larvae that the fish have eaten have not yet matured enough to lay eggs of their own.
Shrimps are the problem. The safest thing would be to catch as many as you can and transfer them to the hospital tank for the duration. Yes, you will miss a lot, but the ones that are in the hospital tank will soon reproduce. Any worm eggs you transfer will hatch but as there will be no fish in there, only shrimps, the larvae will die off without a host.

The best med for camallanus worms is levamisole - eSHa-ndx

My fish had camallaus worms a few years ago, including Nanacara anomala. I used Kusuri Wormer Plus which did not work, then Sera Nematol which did. If eSHa-ndx had been available then I would have used that instead.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 08:46:01 PM »
Sorry to hear about your camallus problem.

If you had to take the main tank apart to catch the fish, you might as well catch the shrimp and swap them with the infected fish in your hospital tank, so you can treat the main tank.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and your gang. I hope that the treatment works quickly and I wish your fish a speedy recovery.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 08:46:42 PM »
It can spread through fish eating poop that contains larvae. Hard to say whether your fish have eaten poop or not...

Fishlopaedia (Bailey and Burgess) states that Flubendazole is used for flukes and tapeworms. I’ve always used Sterazin for Camallanus so cant really comment on that. Never kept shrimp much either.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 08:52:48 PM »
oh dear... so wrong med and the rest of the fish are likely infected...

is it worth me sticking with my current plan for a few days or should I just start again...?

Are corys and gouramis ok with these meds?

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 09:03:03 PM »
eSHa's website does not have the leaflet available so I can't check on whether gouramis and cories would be OK. Gouramis should be - it's aromatic things that interfere with the labyrinth organ you need to avoid. As for cories, if you could find a shop that sells it and peek a look at the leaflet inside the box, that would say if it's OK for scaleless fish or not.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 09:33:27 PM »

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 09:40:33 PM »
I just remembered that I had some ndx in the cupboard, so I had a look at the packaging & the leaflet.
It doesn't say that it is not suitable for any fish, and the pictures on the box indicate that it will not harm shrimp either.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 09:41:35 PM »
I see that it says "we did not observe any negative effects on crustaceans" ie shrimps, but molluscs (snails) seem to be a different matter. And it is "well tolerated" by ornamental fish.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 11:59:52 PM »
I don’t know if Flubendazol is the wrong product, just that Camallanus (nematode worms) weren’t mentioned under it in that book. The book cites Fenbendazole and Piperazine (Sterazin) as being effective treatments for Camallanus. Levamisole is also mentioned but has a limited effect on their eggs.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 05:42:44 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
Hi Matt there is not much i can add to this forum normally as i have only been in the game for about 18 months now. I can tell you tho i have also had these blighters and managed to get rid of them and successfully save all the fish at the time. I used Esha Ndx to get rid of them, I have honey gouramis and corys along with assassin snails and tangerine tiger shrimp at the time, I can tell you they all survived as far as i knew.

The only thing i found was the snails did't like the med and made their way towards the the top of the tank on the glass.

All i did was follow the instructions and i think i dosed again a week or so later to kill off any larvae but that's all in the instructions.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 08:42:39 AM »
Glad to hear that all of your gang were ok with the treatment @Rustle , including gouramis, corys, and shrimp. It's very comforting for us hear first hand experience of success prior to using a new treatment, especially where specific fish or shrimp are concerned. Thanks for the information.  :cheers:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 09:35:31 PM »
Thanks all for your help... I was too late back from work and too early to leave to check on her properly but she is ok in the hospital tank. I've dropped a small bit of sinking food in to see if she is interested in this overnight. I have some esha ndx arriving later in the week and will treat the main tank with it and her too if there have been no improvements. I managed to catch the nerite snail and move it to the shrimp tank earlier. I have pest snails and MTS which im not concerned about to be honest (apart from a potential  ammonia spike IF there are any losses). I'm hoping the assassin snails and shrimp are ok as per Rustles experience.

Will the wood I put in the hospital tank have soaked up the medication (the current one which is harmful to shrimp)? Should I soak it in water after all this is over to remove it again?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 09:53:39 PM »
Just to add quickly that I've added to this post that Rustle had success with esha-ndx  :cheers:

https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-medicines/medicines-for-treating-different-conditions/msg35552/#msg35552

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 06:01:29 AM »
you're welcome littlefish & matt, I forgot to mention after the treatment i ran carbon to remove the meds then treated with esha 2000 to clear up any bacteria infection. I read these worms can damage the intestinal wall and cause infection' but i think you will already know this.

Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 08:59:08 AM »
I ran several batches of carbon, then Polyfilter - that's the media that used to be made by Underworld and is now made by Arcadia and removes all sorts of things from the water. It's expensive which is why I used cheap carbon to remove as much as possible first. https://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/underworld-polyfilter-standard-size

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 09:53:21 PM »
I ran several batches of carbon, then Polyfilter - that's the media that used to be made by Underworld and is now made by Arcadia and removes all sorts of things from the water. It's expensive which is why I used cheap carbon to remove as much as possible first. https://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/underworld-polyfilter-standard-size

Expensive but Priceless. I use it all the time before any water goes near a tank.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2019, 08:10:07 PM »
Quick update... The fish has eaten a couple of times. But didn't really look any better following treatment, so I did a lot of water changes and switched her over the the esha-ndx. I did the 50% water change after 24 hours as per the instructions earlier on today. I've let her settle in for the night and will take a look at her tomorrow properly. I'm hopeful that her 'rear' will be looking a lot healthier!! I put a couple of caves in there which she has been using so getting a clear look is not easy!!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 09:19:59 AM »
Glad to hear that she has eaten, and best of luck with the new meds.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 05:15:29 AM »
Good luck matt i hope it all turns out well.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Female Goldeneye with Camallanus Worms"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2014, 11:51:46 AM
by Sue
22 Replies
Last post February 13, 2015, 02:04:33 PM
by Sue
12 Replies
Last post December 08, 2015, 01:28:48 PM
by Sue
17 Replies
Last post September 17, 2017, 09:17:04 AM
by Matt
7 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 07:02:01 AM
by Hampalong
0 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 08:44:19 PM
by Matt
6 Replies
Last post December 18, 2018, 09:29:51 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: