Feel Like Giving Up

Author Topic: Feel Like Giving Up  (Read 3611 times) 4 replies

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
Feel Like Giving Up
« on: November 29, 2013, 09:22:57 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I'm so disillusioned, I wanted to keep fish as I had no real hobby and thought it would be enjoyable and relaxing but is proving to be really upsetting and stressful  :(

I have tried to do everything right, I cycled my tank, didn't overstock, sought advice, did lots of water changes and repeated this when I got a bigger tank but everything seems to be going wrong.

First I got a major white spot outbreak and lost 9 Cardinals, 2 Electric Blue Rams and 1 Dwarf Rainbow. After treatment I moved the remaining 5 Neons and 2 Ottos to a new 180L well planted tank along with some new Glowlight Tetras. Everything was fine and so I replaced the 9 Cardinals and all seemed good until two days ago I noticed a Cardinal was missing and I couldn't find it anywhere. Last night I came home and found a Rainbow gasping at the surface even though all the other fish were seemingly ok. It died as I watched and I immediately removed it. I tested the water and Ammo, Nitrites, Nitrates and PH were all spot on.

This morning I got up for work and found all of the fish except the Ottos sitting on the bottom hardly moving. The tetras had lost a lot of colour and none of them stirred even when I put the light on. I was struggling for time but managed to do a 50% water change which seemed to perk them up and left for work fearing the worse. I was happily suprised to return and find all fish seemingly doing well and water tests still fine.

But then from nowhere the 'missing' cardinal returned, dead as a Dodo and completely covered in a fluffy fungus. When I say covered, it was completely cocooned , hardly visible in the mass. I am so scared they have all caught something and will be heading the same way before I can see my LFS tomorrow. I'm really starting to wonder if I have made a big mistake.  :(

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Feel Like Giving Up
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 12:30:03 PM »
Given your water stats and the fact you have looked after your tank properly, the only thing that occurs to me is that one or more of the fish you have bought brought a disease into the tank. That is the usual cause of whitespot, and a fish that is weak from another disease is more likely to come down with whitespot.

Which fish were the last ones in the tank before all this happened?

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 12:53:54 AM »
Thanks for reply yet again Sue.. I swear this site would die without you  :(

The 9 Cardinals and two Otto's were added to the remaining 5 Rainbows and resident Glowlight tetras. They and all the others seem to be doing really well although one Otto has gone 'missing'

LFS said that the fungus was a result of the Cardinal death and not a cause. They tested my water in case I had got it wrong but they said it was 'perfect'

I so want to be good at this, it is so hard to take all the setbacks for the poor fish  :'(

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline brecon

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 10:56:14 AM »
Hi, don't give up, I had similar issues when I started 19 years ago. lots of disasters and disease and all I did was read up on the problems and learn. It is difficult but have now got two tanks and two what I call quarantine/hospital tanks which I take in and out of service when I need them. They are quite small tanks but allow me to look at anything new for a week or two and check nothing nasty is happening, and I can limit and treat the fish that need it with smaller amounts of medicine. Yes I get the odd problem now and again and have to use the hospital tank but spotted quickly and I have managed to limit the spread on most occasions. Take the offending fish out and treat them and only put them back when you are sure they are healthy. This works for me as I have the space to do it without getting told off for taking up too much room. Keep going it does work out in the end!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 12:43:09 PM »
Like brecon, I too learned the hard way about the need for a quarantine tank. But even with that, I have on occassions moved the fish into the main tank too quickly and introduced disease into the main tank. I have a plain basic 25 litre tank as my quarantine tank, though at the moment it has my baby cherry shrimp in.
Twice over the last 17 years I have got up in a morning to find every fish lying dead on the bottom. That's every single fish, nothing left alive. The second time was 2003 (it was the day the men came to fit the double glazing, that's how I remember) which was before I used the internet. I hadn't a clue on either occassion what had happened, though I have my suspicions now - and it was my fault. Each time, I removed the dead fish, did a water change and got more fish.
I was pretty lazy back then about water changes, sometimes I'd go a month between them, and I was also overstocked.  Lots of fish make lots of ammonia which the filter bacteria turn into lots of nitrate. Nitrate is acidic and if the water has very little carbonate it soon gets used up leaving nothing to buffer the water against pH changes. I now know that I have very little carbonate in my tapwater. I strongly suspect that that my fish died from a sudden dramatic pH crash. My fault through overstocking and not doing enough water changes.

Fish do go white and fuzzy quite quickly after death if you don't find them. But finding them isn't always easy. I can only count 10 ember tetras and there should be 11. I didn't find it during the last water change but with shrimps, snails and loaches, the body of a fish as small as an ember tetra probably wouldn't last long enough to get fungused. And the reason I think it has died is my fault again. I sucked an ember tetra up at the previous water change. It looked OK when I removed it from the bucket, but it could have had internal damage. There are some fish that find the siphon tube irrestistible and it's always a problem trying to avoid them.

It is easy for things to go wrong quickly in an environment like a fish tank. We've all had problems with our tanks especially at the beginning, and fish do die. Don't beat yourself up over this, learn from it.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Feel Like Giving Up"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post October 20, 2013, 09:07:24 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post November 27, 2014, 09:06:40 PM
by naughtymoose
8 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 05:24:14 PM
by deano79

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: