Euthanasia

Author Topic: Euthanasia  (Read 4962 times) 5 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Euthanasia
« on: April 26, 2013, 04:12:06 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have just found this article on the best way to put a fish down, and the methods that shouldn't be used. I think this is something we can all learn from, I will certainly be adding the article to my list.

click here

Offline water watcher

• Fishy Member
  • Do we look after fish, or the water they're in?
Re: Euthanasia
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 04:58:25 PM »
A good article Sue.

The same old ones keep coming around, especially using ice water. I can't believe anyone without sociopathic tendencies would boil a fish...

Personally i have used clove oil in the past with mixed results. When it has to be done i find massive blunt force trauma followed by pithing just to be sure the quickest and the easiest method, but you can't be squemish

Offline jesnon

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 11:19:47 PM »
Great article - thanks for bringing it to our attention Sue. Unfortunately I wish I'd been better prepared when the worst case happened with Madge. I opted for the 'freezing' method, which seemed instant and painless. I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake :-(

It's not something I ever want to have to do again and still looking at my tank without Madge makes me quite sad. Fingers crossed I never have to do it again, but I may invest in some clove oil so I'm better prepared if I ever do have to do it again.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline suep

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 10:15:03 AM »
Personally i have used clove oil in the past with mixed results.

Is clove oil an anaesthetic? Do you just add it to the water? How much do you add?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 12:17:37 PM »
Clove oil has to mixed with water before using it. The usual way is to put the fish in a tub of tankwater. Put 25 to 35 drops clove oil in a screw top bottle and add some cold water. Shake the bottle till the oil has emulsified, then pour into the tub with the fish. The fish will get upset for a few seconds, then drift to the bottom. The danger is that if you remove it too soon, it will just be unconscious rather than dead. Wait at least two hours before disposing of the body.

As for the amount of clove oil, 25 drops are for a small fish in a small tub of water; 35 is for a big fish in a big tub as the larger water volume would dilute 25 drops too much.

Offline polkadotpuffer

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 10:33:47 AM »
I have also had to use clove oil to put a fish to sleep that had a bad case of dropsy :( It was really sad, I do recommend to leave it a while as it is also used to knock fish out for a while. The dropsy was beyond medication and the fish looked as if he was going to explode at any min! RIP Rubin, the algae eater :( I always have some oil just incase my fish gets so ill that I can do the kindest thing for them, drift off to sleep.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Euthanasia"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post December 17, 2017, 09:20:38 PM
by Andy The Minion

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: