ESHa EXIT For Treating White Spot

Author Topic: eSHa EXIT for treating white spot  (Read 22831 times) 41 replies

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
eSHa EXIT for treating white spot
« on: August 04, 2014, 07:59:58 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Well, I guess it was going to happen sometime.
Noticed some white spot on one of my cherry barbs the other day ( after my Nerite snails had gone into the tank Grrr!). There are only a few spots, but I've noticed them on the platies too tonight.

Decided to opt for eSHa EXIT as I'd read that it was Ok for invertebrates. I've given 3 doses (3rd one tonight as per instructions) but don't see that much improvement. I did do a water change and scheduled tank maintenance before adding the meds, but on reading the instructions again, it clearly says not to use water conditioners. Of course, I had added tetra safe as usual with the new water.
Should I start the full dose again for 3 days ( water parameters are all fine so far) or will that poison my fish?
If you use this treatment without using water conditioners wouldn't you hurt the fish anyway?
Very confused and hoping someone can help!?   ???

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: eSHa EXIT for treating white spot
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 08:03:01 PM »
What I meant to say was, the instructions say to do a water change if one is due before adding the product - which I did - but if I'd done that without adding a conditioner wouldn't  I have killed the fish anyway? The snails seem to be fine by the way

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 08:36:12 PM »
I've just googled the instructions and it does seem a bit odd. I do know that Tetra Safe Start (the bottled bacteria product) should not be used with water conditioners that detoxify ammonia - it's the chemical that does the detoxifying that's the problem -  so I wonder if that affects Exit as well.

I would be inclined to do another 3 days, and don't do a water change till afterwards. You won't have seen any change if the parasites are still on the fish - it does take several days for them to eat enough then drop off the fish. The instructions do say it kills the parasite while on the fish but if it does that it's the only whitespot medication that does.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 08:45:06 PM »
Hi Sue

Thanks for the swift response. I meant I'd used tetra aqua safe at the water change. Will this have stopped the meds from working?
When you say to do another 3 days (which is what I was thinking of doing) do you mean start as if from day one with the full dose, or go for the further 3 day option of 10 drops per 100 litres as it says in the instructions. I'd like to start from the full dose again, but don't want to do more harm than good. Also, I've kept the lights off so as not to cause more stress, but I'm not sure that the plants will survive another 3 days with no light. Am I safe to turn them on again?
Thank you so much in advance :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 08:54:15 PM »
Sorry, I meant I knew of another product that you couldn't use after using water conditioners, it just happens to be a Tetra product.

I'd follow their instructions and use the 10 drops per 100 litre dose. It doesn't mention not having the lights on (some meds do tell you not to) so you should be OK with them on. If the fish feels stressed they have the plants to hide in.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 08:57:37 PM »
Great, thanks again Sue, will start their 10 drops per 100 litres tomorro

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 01:01:35 AM »
Diz I'm in a similar situation to you, I've been using eSHa 2000 and it says dont use with any other treatments including water conditioners but I'm  having to do water changes because of raised nitrite and nitrates, its not supposed to affect filter bacteria but it's giving me food for thought.

Anyone else having similar problems?

I have to say it is doing the job though

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 07:30:03 AM »
I know, it's very confusing. I've contacted the company direct about this and will share any information I get when/if I get a reply. I certainly think it worked though and my snails are happily trundling around the tank and eating their heads off, so it seems to be safe for them as well.
Following the outbreak in my tank, I've decided to set up a quarantine tank . That won't solve the problem with EXIT and water conditioners, but at least it should reduce the chances of my whole main tank  :(
Becoming infected again!

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 12:29:33 PM »
Thanks, the share will be very helpful  :)   I've got a quarantine tank cycling atm, better safe than sorry and I can use it to grow on plants when it's untenanted

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 01:27:43 PM »
I have just looked at my bottle of eSHa 2000 and I have seen for the first time the bit about water conditioners. Never noticed it before  :-[  I am now also awaiting the reply from eSHa

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 01:41:57 PM »
They haven't replied to me yet, but I did notice that it said 'excessive' use of water conditioners in the instructions, so I'm hoping that they'll clarify what 'excessive' means..

Surely there can't be any water board anywhere that doesn't chlorinate it's water (except the Third World), so you'd think more people than us have come across this issue?  ???

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 01:45:03 PM »
Just a further thought, if I don't hear sometime next week, do you think it would be worth trying again but this time saying that I'm asking on behalf of a few of us? If they think that more than one customer is confused and needing help with the issue, then they might be more inclined to answer.  ???

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 05:51:15 PM »
Let them know we're discussing how wonderful their product is on a thread in the THINK FISH forum which has over 1k members and it might well do the job

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 10:45:55 PM »
Well said Fiona! If no-one from the forum (moderators, legally savvy individuals  or members in general) object to this approach, then I'm certainly willing to do this. If the issue re: water conditioners can be clarified so that we can use products that are invertebrate safe and filter safe, then surely that's a win-win situation for both the customer and the manufacturer?
I don't know, what do other people think? I certainly wouldn't write again until another week had elapsed, and I think that this has to be an approach that is clear on the fact that we really like the product and are totally convinced of its efficacy but just need a little clarity.  :)

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 10:52:10 PM »
By way of a PS, I do realise that I'm a newbie at all of this, and I don't want to tread on any toes or be seen  as someone who's spouting off about something she knows nothing about. I'm perfectly willing to consider myself shot down in flames if this isn't a good idea!! LOL  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 09:17:38 AM »
I can't see any reason why not but to be on the safe side I would pm Robert. It is his forum after all  ;D

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 09:32:41 AM »
I know, that's one of the reasons I thought I should check. It's one thing asking a manufacturer on your own behalf, but, perhaps, entirely another when you say you're representing a body of people/ forum. In any case, I'm going to wait for a week longer to see how they respond. ;D

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 10:26:12 AM »
Morning everyone,

I've had a response about eSHa EXIT from the manufacturer:

"Thank you for using our product eSHa Exit.

Waterconditioners have huge binding capacities and also bind the active ingredients of eSHa medicines.
Result is that the product does not work or works less as it should be.

There are different ways to make tapwater safe for your aquarium without adding waterconditioners.

You can aerate the water (hot) with a showerhead and let it stand in buckets to cool down before adding it into the aquarium.
You also can tap the water over fresh active carbon to remove the chlorine instantly (recommended).

Please preform a measure waterchange (2 x 50%) and clean the substrate by siphoning it off.

Then start a new cure with eSHa Exit extended dosage. If you see result at day 3 you can dose a few days longer with the normal dosage.
If you do not see any result at all we advice to stop the cure and change water (25%)

Best regards,

Suzanne
eSHa Labs"

Since Suzanne mentions all eSHa medicines, I'm assuming that this applies to 2000 as well.
This is perhaps one for someone knowledgeable like Sue, Collin, Steve etc., but my questions would be around using hot water through a shower head, or running it over carbon. Would these methods actually remove chlorine etc. effectively enough/ What kind of carbon would you use – presumably the filter sponges wouldn't be big enough/good enough to do an effective job?

Anyway, i know this is a bit of an essay, but I'd be keen to know what people's responses are to this advice from eSHa.

Diz

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 12:12:11 PM »
The trouble is they don't say which ingredient in the water conditioners do the binding. I have just asked my husband (PhD in chemistry) to check.

Water conditioners contain sodium thiosulphate to remove the chlorine.
2 S2O32− + Cl2 → S4O62− + 2 Cl

We don't think that would react with anything organic in a medication.

Water conditioners usually contain EDTA to bind metals. This would bind copper in those meds which contain it, but not organic chemicals.

That leaves the ammonia remover found in some water conditioners, but I don't know what it is. API's FAQs for ammo-lock say it can be used with all their meds.

I think I'll email them myself and ask.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 12:20:12 PM »
Sorry I couldn't be more help, my brain is strictly non-scientific!! ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "eSHa EXIT for treating white spot"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2014, 08:49:46 PM
by evan47
25 Replies
Last post July 30, 2014, 10:26:01 AM
by Pawel
7 Replies
Last post October 23, 2014, 10:08:01 PM
by lynda51
9 Replies
Last post October 31, 2014, 06:36:02 PM
by Sue
12 Replies
Last post June 18, 2017, 09:49:11 PM
by glitch74
181 Replies
Last post June 21, 2016, 12:42:29 PM
by Sue
22 Replies
Last post June 22, 2016, 03:40:58 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: