Endler Dying... No Obvious Reason. Another Unwell Now Too

Author Topic: Endler dying... no obvious reason. another unwell now too  (Read 20574 times) 58 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Endler dying... no obvious reason. another unwell now too
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 08:16:46 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
It's very strange the lack of a body... but I checked again and even shook my java fern and no sign at all. Even more oddly my boyfriend said when he left for work Lister was still alive which is even more odd as it was only a few hours later I lost him entirely. I wouldnt think he could get in the filter as before I got my fish I bought a pre filter since I was concerned about tgat very thing! I'll do daily water tests and as often as I can small water changes and keep monitoring and report back anything unusual.

Thanks again both for your replies. I had no idea endlers had short life expectancies.. perhaps that is just it. I've had all my fish except Ace since April and no idea how long the fish are in the shop before I got them. I know my old MA always have my green endlers in stock.. not sure if that's because they're popular or that they've been there a long time. Ace on the other hand came from a shop that tends to sell out very fast, but of cpirse you still don't know how old the fish are when they get to the shop. 

And happy birthday to you too for next week ha. It's not on Tuesday at sll is it?!

Apologies again for typos I got a new phone the other day and I'm still getting to grips with it

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 08:50:49 PM »
Hi again Jesnon,
Just a quick one... as I said, I cannot fault you for anything about your tank... So, please, don't be harsh on yourself. Sometimes, unfortunately, fish just die... The smaller the fish the shorter the life span is normally (there are exceptions, though). All stresses (shipping from the original sourse, being in a shop's tank, etc.) do contribute to this...
My birthday is on Monday, so pretty close to yours!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 10:03:42 PM »
Thanks again Natalia for the reassurance, it really does help :) fingers crossed this was just s culmination of the things you and Sue suggested and my tank will be back to normal again. 

ahh that's a funny coincidence. I hope you have a good one and pop in again!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 02:20:22 PM »
Readings all normal still so I guess the body isnt there. ..

also here's the strange white thing I mentioned before

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 09:22:22 PM »
Hi Jesnon,
Thanks for the photograph. I also realised that one of those “balls” was on the photograph of Ace you posted before...
From what I can see, these balls are small (2-3mm?) and slightly fluffy – am I correct?
Now, I have an idea of what it could be – but I may be wrong!
This is definitely a type of fungus. I do not think it is a dangerous Saprolegnia, however.
See this: http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/saprolegnia/interesting/
Saprolegnia is dangerous to fish but none of your Endlers have any growth on them – so, luckily, - I think this is not the one...
Then there is one of the water moulds – Oomycete...
See this: http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/Water_mold_Mizukabi_colony.jpg&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oomycete&h=720&w=689&sz=50&tbnid=wqe9jM2z87dALM:&tbnh=88&tbnw=84&zoom=1&usg=__G4_w3htdSO8u8Y5lugI3Q90UFMU=&docid=TnwQG7QQZ9SMoM&sa=X&ei=lQFXUtHoLeaS7Aa0ioDgAg&sqi=2&ved=0CI8BEP4dMAs
This one is what I think your “balls” are...  or at least something very similar or of the same genus.
The good thing is that it should not be Saprolegnia all things considered.
The thing to address is the fact that you may, indeed, have some problems in your tank. I think these are caused by an imbalance and disturbance after moving the tank. This is not your fault – you did everything correctly. It is just some people are luckier than the others if even all of them did everything in a correct way...
So, as I think this is not a dangerous fungus but still the one which shows some general problems in your tank, I would suggest a few things. First of all – please, do not rush to medicate. Medication when the problem is only a “best guess” can do more harm than good (on a side note, I very rarely use meds and I have even cleared a white spot without using any meds/salts/elevated water temperatures). Everything is in good hygiene and as little stress to the fish as possible – this is what I swear by, anyway...
I would suggest hovering the gravel on a regular basis (a little at a time but often) with little and often water changes (you did also notice an unusual amount of “muck” – perfect feeding grounds for fungus and such!). I would do these small water changes as often as possible – 3 litres at a time daily or when you can, perhaps? If you can, pick up those “balls” as well – by hand or tweezers... Also, buy some Hornwort plant (sold on Ebay), wash it properly, rinse in dechlorinated water and pop it in. It may not be the look you would like for your tank aesthetically but coping with it for some time will help. Hornwort is not expensive but it should help by “sucking up” any “nasties” (organic or inorganic) in your tank. You can remove and dispose of it later on when everything settles...
This is what I would do. I would ONLY move to any more “drastic” measures if the problem persists...
P.S. Your resent losses in the tank may have been aggravated by the imbalance but I do not think that this imbalance actually killed your little fellas...
P.P.S. This is a suggestion only – I cannot claim I am 100% sure but this is what I would do if it was my tank...

Offline jesnon

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 10:01:59 PM »
Thank you so much for your helpful reply Natalia- I suspect you're right with the 'balls'. I wont be able to do daily changes as I'm often away overnight at work but I could manage at least every other day I think. I'll also get some of the plant you suggested to. Hopefully this will help sort out the imbalance in my tank and get it back on track!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2013, 12:40:15 PM »
The plant should be arriving early next week. Did another water change today and got rid of two of the things in the process. Fingers crossed my tank will be happy again soon!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2013, 05:10:51 PM »
So my horn wort arrived today.  I popped it in the tank and actually I really like the look of it. I would be interested in keeping it once I plant it a bit better than I have done, but in my littke tank would that be bad since it's so fast growing would that be a terrible idea? My tank is low light which might help I guess but I don't want it to take over. It's a cute plant though and my tank looks so green now!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2013, 06:53:08 PM »
I had hornwort until recently. I found that it grew quickly but the old portions became leggy so I just pruned them off and kept the nice lush new growth. I always assumed it got leggy because my tank lighting is definitely low light. I also gave up trying to keep it planted and let it float.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2013, 08:53:31 PM »
I thought it was intended as a floating plant but the instructions with it said to plant it. I like how it looks planted but wjo knows how long it'll stay like it!

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2013, 10:16:14 PM »
Hi Jesnon,
It is, indeed, treated like a floater but can be planted - interesting that the instructions insisted on it... In any case, it does not really matter as long as it works as planned!  :)

Offline jesnon

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2013, 11:06:39 PM »
:-) That sounds good to me ha. Hope you have a lovely birthday tomorrow too!

I know I shouldn't really be thinking of this already but how oong should I leave it for any new additions?

Offline Resa

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2013, 06:10:14 PM »
Hi Jesnon,

I have only just come back online and so have been catching up with the posts.
I am so-oo sorry to read of Ace and Lister...do the others all seem to be alright? Hopefully, it was an age thing.
It is so horrible to lose your fishies, but it is the sad reality of keeping pets :(
I hope you soon find some more little endlers to bring your crew up to strength again.

I hope you have had a good birthday and that you are being taken out tonight for a slap-up supper ;)
It is my little grand-daughter's birthday today as well, she is a big grown-up four! It must be those dark winter evenings, my birthday is on Sunday and my youngest son's Saturday week! ;D Lots of cake this week then ;)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2013, 10:08:18 PM »
Unfortunately another of my fish is currently dying :-(

No idea what is suddenly killing off all my fish :-(

they all behave normally until suddenly they're sinking at the bottom of the tank....

thank you! I had to wake up in work and have a shift but then went for a meal and drinks. Unfortunately been greeted by my dying fish once home :-(

Offline Sue

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2013, 09:34:16 AM »
Oh no  :(

I'm so sorry to hear this, Jesnon. I just don't know what the problem could be.

You asked earlier about getting new fish - wait at least two weeks, more would be better, after the last death. The worst thing you can do until you are sure no more will die is add new fish to become infected.

How are the shrimps?

Offline jesnon

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2013, 10:01:39 AM »
Very true looks like I was a little to optimistic about my fish. I wish I knew what was going on...

my shrimp are fine oddly :-/

Offline jesnon

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2013, 08:28:37 AM »
I did a water change the other day (I'm away currently) and just after some of those white things appeared and I witnessed my fish scoffing on them... fingers crossed they really are the harmless ones...

Offline jesnon

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2013, 12:30:52 PM »
Unfortunately things arent improving for my tank, I just found a dead shrimp :-( She had black tail and legs if that means anything. ...

any advice really appreciated....

Offline jesnon

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2013, 02:03:10 PM »
I should also say that all the water levels are fine still...

could it be some problem with my tap water? Is it a disease?I'm really stuck what to do... a fish shop advised me to use melafix but aftera quick Google it seems this is not a product taken very seriously. .

Offline Sue

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2013, 02:16:46 PM »
To be honest, I'm at a loss to know what to suggest. My shrimps have all died from failed moults - they just had a white line accross their backs, no other signs.
How are the remaining endlers doing?

Melafix - I think of this more like using dettol if we have a cut. It helps stop bugs getting into the wound. But if the cut gets infected, dettol wouldn't help; we'd need something much stronger on prescription. Melafix is fine if a fish has damaged itself to stop infections but it is not much use for curing anything. And it shouldn't be used for fish with a labyrinth organ (bettas, gouramis)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Endler dying... no obvious reason. another unwell now too"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 11:58:57 AM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post December 05, 2014, 12:54:30 PM
by Sue
23 Replies
Last post April 18, 2016, 07:01:13 PM
by Littlefish
8 Replies
Last post May 13, 2016, 08:49:35 PM
by Foadfish
1 Replies
Last post June 04, 2016, 09:19:49 PM
by Sue
28 Replies
Last post October 29, 2016, 10:25:16 AM
by Littlefish
11 Replies
Last post May 02, 2021, 05:35:33 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: