Author Topic: Dying GREEN silver mollies  (Read 4174 times) 6 replies

Offline hilly

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Dying GREEN silver mollies
« on: July 06, 2018, 10:45:29 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi guys/ Sue 👍🏻

OK I'm in trouble. As Sue may remember I have silver mollies. The tank is cycled and ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates. 20-.40
Ph 7.4
Now my water is too soft I have found for mollies so was gradually hardening it bit by bit. Mollies started to shimmie. I thought fine, this should stop as they get acclimatised to harder water. They have now started dying. Symptoms include (in a sort of chronological order)
Loss of appetite.
Lethargic
Spine scales turning yellow
Quick ish breathing
Shimmies
Swimming erratically and out of balance
All manor of coloured pooh (red,  brown, white)
Some have inflamed gills.
Death
Green on top.

Please help!
Attached picture is minutes after death.

Ps. She was pregnant and all fry died inside her. Looked almost full term

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Black Molly (2) - Honey Gourami (1) - Neon Tetra (5) - Celestial Pearl Danio (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (3) - Otocinclus (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Dying GREEN silver mollies
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 11:06:33 AM »
A few more questions, if you don't mind

How long have they been in your tank?
How are the dwarf gouramis?
How long have the gouramis been in your tank?

The most likely cause is the soft water. It is easier for soft water fish to survive in hard water than for hard water fish to survive in soft water; and mollies are notorious for having problems in soft water.
The shimmies is where the fish rocks backwards and forwards and looks as though it is shivering; it looks as though it is swimming but not going anywhere. The fins are also clamped. Once this condition appears it is often too late to save the fish and it dies shortly afterwards.

Red gills often result from ammonia and/or nitrite in the water, but yours are zero.

The colour changes are probably the result of changes within the body because of the soft water.

And being near to dropping fry puts further strain on a fish that is already stressed.

You mentioned having 5 mollies in another thread - apart from the one that has died, are any others showing problems?

And just to check - you mention red poo - is actually poo or red things sticking out of the anus when the fish stops swimming momentarily?

Offline hilly

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 11:13:59 AM »
Hi there Sue,

Mollies have been in around three weeks.
Gourami a week.
They look fine. Just generally wandering around looking for something to munch on which at times was a listless molly.
All mollies bar one have now died.
He is newer than the rest as I swapped him for that aggressive female.

I'm gonna just leave the two gourami in there now and keep the water around what they like I think. I changed 40l of the 60l yesterday and syphoned out all of the substrate so I was sure all the pooh and any other decaying matter has been removed as well as any discoloured plant stems or leaves.........

Black Molly (2) - Honey Gourami (1) - Neon Tetra (5) - Celestial Pearl Danio (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (3) - Otocinclus (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline hilly

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 11:16:00 AM »
I suppose I find it hard to believe that something as (please don't be offended by my ignorance) hardness could cause such physical as well as physiological symptoms.

This is a really steep learning curve.....

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 12:50:11 PM »
Sorry to hear about your problems, and the loss of your fish.
I have had several steep learning curves during my relatively short time with my gang, though luckily they haven't all involved losses, but have involved a lot more work than expected.
Correct water conditions are very important, and keeping fish healthy is more complicated than most people think.
Keep at it, and best of luck with your remaining fish.

Offline hilly

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 01:29:07 PM »
Thanks Little fish.
It's really starting to............ Me off!

I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong? I need to become a biologist so I can get access to mass spectrometers and stuff! 😂

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 02:45:18 PM »
The fact that only the newest molly to your tank is still alive is highly indicative that the problem is the hardness. He has been exposed to soft water for less time than the others. If your area has hard water, that's what they'll have been kept in at the shop which is why they are not dying in the shop tank.

Something shops won't tell you is about matching fish to your water. All you need to know is the hardness of your water and match that to the hardness needed by any particular fish species. The best place for finding the hardness a fish needs is http://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/

You said in another thread that you've been using RO to mix with your hard tap water to get a hardness of 6 dH (in ppm that converts to 107).
Of the fish you have/had -
Mollies need 15 to 30 dH, so your 6 was way too soft for them
Dwarf gourami need 2 to 18 dH, so your 6 was perfect for them

If you want to keep the gouramis, I would keep your tap:RO mix at the right ratio to give somewhere around 10 dH, and rehome the last molly. Then look round the shop to see what you like, make a note of them then go home and look them up on Seriously Fish. Any fish with your tank GH in the middle of their hardness range and suitable for your sized tank can go on your shortlist.

On the subject of steep learning curves, I feel I ought to warn you about dwarf gouramis. So many of these fish imported from the far east are already infected with an incurable disease by the time they get to the shop. But no shop will tell you that because then you wouldn't buy them  :-\

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Dying GREEN silver mollies"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post November 08, 2012, 09:26:03 AM
by TigzFish
11 Replies
Last post January 08, 2013, 04:39:17 PM
by Sue
55 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 01:47:32 PM
by Smurrayuk
4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2014, 12:00:21 PM
by Sue
New Mollies

Started by LT « 1 2 » Fish Health

37 Replies
Last post April 23, 2016, 10:43:12 AM
by Fiona
14 Replies
Last post May 04, 2016, 08:21:38 PM
by fcmf
5 Replies
Last post November 25, 2016, 07:32:01 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: