Disaster! Filter Stopped Working When Just Changed Substrate AAARRRGGHH!

Author Topic: Disaster! filter stopped working when just changed substrate AAARRRGGHH!  (Read 4146 times) 8 replies

Offline suep

• Fishy Member
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
PLease help. I have just changed my substrate and when I swapped over my Eheim external filter last night for some reason I couldn't get a the water pumping through - it was working on the temporary tank. Eventually after about an hour, it was come through about half power but the motor was making a strange noise. When I woke up this morning only a drobble coming through. Tried re priming etc but I think it's had it! I have a sponge filter which I have put in but of course there are no bacteria on it. There is a dribble coming through and I have some sponges from a small Fluval U1 filer that was on a smaller tank with two poorly neon tetras with fin rot which I have attached to the big sponge filter in the hope some bacteria will grow on it. My question is: Should I just take out the Eheim filter media and stick in on the tank, or should I just hope the dribble coming through will be enough?  :'(

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Disaster! filter stopped working when just changed substrate AAARRRGGHH!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 12:15:50 PM »
I only have internals but I know the theory of externals. Have you got any air caught in the impeller well? Tilt the whole thing from side to side to free it. Could anything have become dislodged and caught in the impeller?

I think I'd be inclined to take it apart, and put the media in a bit of tank water while you fiddle with the mechanical parts. Check the impeller well for debris, give everything a good clean. Then set the filter up empty and see if it will work. If it works empty but doesn't with media inside, clean the media and try again. Make sure you get rid of any air by tilting the filter casing.

Offline Chris

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 12:19:08 PM »
From your description of the strange noise and "half power", it suggests to me that you may not have the baskets and the lid aligned correctly.

Offline suep

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 08:01:55 PM »
What a stressful day!  :P
Thanks for the tips guys, I eventually after much messing around got the thing working again. I think there was a blockage in the inlet tube. Anyway, I have a sponge filter with a sponge from the external filter attached to it as well going. The Ammonia levels were 1.0ppm so I have done two 50 % water changes and it's now 0.25ppm. I'll do another one in the minute. I did put some Zeolite in the tank but took it out again because I read it can cause more harm in the long run. Fingers crossed they'll be okay!
Thanks again

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 08:13:50 AM »
Glad to hear things are working again.

Zeolite is OK in an emergency but not full time.
If the ammonia you saw was because the tank did not have a filter running for a time and the ammonia built up, that is an OK time to use zeolite for a very limited time, to get rid of the excess. But water changes are better as there's no chance of starving the bacteria.
The danger comes if zeolite is run for too long and the filter bacteria get starved, or during cycling so that the zeolite removes the ammonia and the bacteria don't grow.

Offline JimmyL

• Fishy Member
I always keep a tiny (200L/hour) powerhead running full time in reserve - just in case. Worst case scenario - if the main hanging filter craps out and needs to be replaced - get the new filter, take the little sponge out of the powerhead, tear it up and put it in the new hanging filter and throw some bio medium in. Then, viola, near-instant cycling.

That being said, the cycle takes about 2 weeks, but means you still have nitrifying bacteria in the system, which helps a lot.

If nothing else, the little powerhead takes a little of the load off until you get your main filter running again.

When it's just running normally, it provides some bonus surface agitation for gas exchange and current for my guppies to play in.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Congo Tetra (8) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (13) - Cherry Barb (6) - Black Phantom Tetra (10) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Glass Bloodfin (10) - Penguin Tetra (10) - Bloodfin Tetra (10) - Ember Tetra (15) - Serpae Tetra (10) - Black Neon Tetra (10) - Bleeding Heart Tetra (10) - Head & Tail Light Tetra (10) - Golden Pencilfish (10) - Black Widow Tetra (10) - Congo Tetra (10) - Glowlight Tetra (10) - Blue Tetra (10) - Colombian Red Fin (10) - Flame Tetra (10) - Lemon Tetra (10) - Rummy Nose Tetra (10) - Emperor Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (10) - Buenos Aires Tetra (10) - Diamond Tetra (10) - Neon Tetra (10) - Rosy Tetra (10) - Red Phantom Tetra (10) - Red Eye Tetra (10) - Silver Tip Tetra (10) - Silver Hatchetfish (10) - Congo Tetra (20) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (20) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Robert

• Administrator
Hey JimmyL -  :wave: Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum!  :cheers:

Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

Hello JimmyL  :wave:

How about zipping over to the New Member board here and saying Hi and introducing yourself a little. We like new members.... and we really like piccies. We're very shallow on here! (Apart from Sue!)

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

I'm just as shallow as everyone else when it comes to pics  ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Disaster! filter stopped working when just changed substrate AAARRRGGHH!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 02:35:18 PM
by Andy M
7 Replies
Last post February 05, 2014, 02:22:47 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post August 11, 2014, 09:31:19 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post December 05, 2014, 02:48:25 PM
by Aquamaid
17 Replies
Last post November 13, 2016, 07:43:38 AM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post October 10, 2018, 02:22:31 PM
by Sue
47 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 05:51:51 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: