Cory Floating Upside Down...help

Author Topic: Cory floating upside down...help  (Read 11715 times) 30 replies

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Cory floating upside down...help
« on: June 11, 2018, 05:48:03 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hiya, after thinking all was well from holiday, the cory isn't doing that great. He's now swimming in a kind of spiral, he heads up to the top of the tank then spins his way back down but usually gets stuck in the plants, usually upside down.

I've still not got a quarantine tank, but was wondering if I should pop him in a little net spawning box? in the tank just so he doesn't get stuck in awkward position?

Advice welcome

meant to also say he's got a white spot on his nose? not sure if relevant, and he's panting like mad?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Cory floating upside down...help
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 07:20:52 PM »
Hmmm - that's not sounding too good/promising, especially with the heavy panting, I'm afraid.

Do you have another container that you could substitute for a QT, filter and heater? If so, then you could move a small portion of filter media into the filter and treat him with something like Waterlife Myxazin or eSHa 2000. If not, then the spawning box might be an option for him to move into, to prevent him getting stuck awkwardly or getting stressed by his own antics.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 09:00:13 PM »
I know, my issue is keep meaning to get a QT but not got round to it yet. Not good I know, I’ll get something tomorrow and set up,  if he lasts that long  :-\
He’s back at the bottom again so I’ll leave him as unless he’s actually floating it’s hard to catch him.
I’ll keep you posted.

Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 09:46:51 PM »
This is a good thread if you are looking for a hospital tank. It has a few suggestions as well. I was able to get one from the stock of my local MA.

https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-tanks-and-equipment/recommendation-for-hospital-tank/

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 10:30:34 PM »
You say he has a white spot on his nose, has he still got his barbels ? They sometimes get worn away by rooting in the gravel.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 08:14:28 AM »
How is your cory today?

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 10:44:50 AM »
Another case of fingers crossed that he's ok today... 

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 01:02:15 PM »
Hi all, not managed to see him today, when I leave for work the lights aren't on. I've just bought a 25 litre tank from @Helen thread, and a heater so i'll set up tonight if he's still around.

As for the white spot, his barbels do look rather short.

The girl in the LFS also gave me bacteria for the hospital tank, but I thought if I just added some of the ceramic rings from my main filter along with water from the tank and some plants and maybe one of the smaller bits of wood for him to hide under, would I also need to add this bacteria? (you'll probably ask me what I've got but I've left it in the car as back in work now!!)

I'll report back when I get home, keeping everything crossed.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 01:30:01 PM »
Fingers crossed.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 03:07:43 PM »
The filter media and plants from the main tank should be enough. Just keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 03:48:22 PM »
cool thanks that what I thought.

Going to leave work sharp tonight so I can get set up and see how he is.

ta

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 08:52:35 PM »
hiya reports from Al today is that wee cory has still been spinning  :( I've got the new tank set up now, after practically destroying the living room and somehow, I think in my slight stressed state, managed to get water everywhere as well!

Hospital tank is a Superfish Home 25, I've replaced the media in the filter that came with the tank (some sponge and carbon) with some of my main filter sponge and 6 ceramic rings, added some plants wood and rocks as well, with a clean sandy bottom.

Everything is working, just trying to regulate temp between the two. Will "points" of degrees matter too much, i.e. if he comes of out water that 76.8 into water that 77 will that be bad or does that small difference not make much difference?

LFS gave me Aqua Care Anti-Internal Bacteria to put in, they didn't have the one mentioned in the thread Helen sent, so assuming that'll be OK? assuming of course it is something bacterial?

Should I also just keep the lights off for him? And should I feed him, was thinking maybe I should try the peas, and at least I'll know if he gets some of them in case it is something to do with what he's been eating, or should I just give him to cory tabs? That is assuming of course he does come out and I can catch him, it might be a long night!

On the plus side tough wee guy is still hanging in there!

Oh finally will he be even more stressed out being on his own? but don't suppose I can help that?

Ta

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 09:16:04 PM »
I wouldn't have thought that tiny temperature difference would matter- especially considering that a lot of tank thermometers are not digital, so that difference wouldn't be noticed.
I've used the Aqua Care product that you've been given, and it did work for the problem I had with my tiger barbs previously.
I would be tempted to keep the lights off and not feed him for now, but the others may have more experience with this situation.
He'll be fine on his own in the quarantine tank, especially as you've given him some plants and stuff to make it feel comfortable for him.

Best of luck to both of you.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 10:23:48 PM »
Thanks Littlefish.

Final update before going to bed, I'm done in, is that normal??

I've actually got two corys in the wee tank ??? I got one in after he done a total freak out spinning madly as if stuck on the side of the tank but this time spinning with his head being he central point of a circle, if you get my drift. So I thought "great I've got him", but then another one in the main tank did the original spinning and floating upside down, so put him in too as now thinking it's something that might be spreading  :(

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 06:09:07 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Make sure to do regular water  tests and water changes. Not only is nice fresh water great for fish health. If you are dosing something which is anti bacterial in some way it could easily affect the filter bacteria you have transferred over.  Good luck!

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 09:30:35 AM »
Leave the lights off. A dim tank is more calming for fish, and some medications work better in 'less strong' light. The plants should be OK for the duration.

Bear in mind that everything in the hospital tank will be 'contaminated' with the medication which could potentially kill shrimps and snails when they are returned to the main tank, if you have any.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 07:38:12 PM »
hiya thanks for all the comments again. I've only got pest snails and probably don't need to put the stuff back in the tank anyway, it actually looks better now as it was a bit busy.

The two wee guys are still in the land of the living, although one just demonstrated the upside down floating for me their still not right.

They've been in darkness since they went in and I've not fed them, should I give them something to eat? Ammonia and Nitrite all OK and temp is 73 which was a bit lower than the main tank does this seem OK or would lower or indeed higher be better, think cory range is 68 - 82?

Finally, the treatment says to dose every other day for 4 treatments, so I'll follow that, but probably need to report back if nothing has changed as to what to do next, if they are still the same.

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 07:42:00 PM »
Cories like water a bit cooler than most other fish so 73 deg F (23 deg C) is fine for them.

Fingers crossed.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 07:43:50 PM »
thanks sue, should I give them something to eat? they didn't have anything yesterday.

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 07:49:30 PM »
I would feed them but not as much as they would normally eat.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Cory floating upside down...help"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post August 22, 2013, 12:05:23 AM
by SteveS
7 Replies
Last post November 04, 2013, 07:42:10 PM
by Wild Rover
6 Replies
Last post October 17, 2014, 08:44:28 AM
by Richard W
5 Replies
Last post August 04, 2016, 10:42:53 PM
by Gabriel
13 Replies
Last post August 22, 2017, 09:44:22 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post January 25, 2017, 12:07:51 AM
by MarquisMirage
11 Replies
Last post March 11, 2021, 11:31:02 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: