Disaster

Author Topic: Disaster  (Read 4385 times) 13 replies

Offline Yorkshireadam

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Disaster
« on: October 26, 2014, 09:41:40 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
 :yikes: Came home from seeing my poorly mother to a spotlessly clean house, other half on a mission. Anyway I discover her 'cleaning' the inside of the tank lid in situ with Mr muscle, cue shouting, and 2 90% water changes. Is there anything I can do to make sure I've saved my fish? They all seem fine, this was about 2 hours ago.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Re: Disaster
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:14:16 AM »
Hi Adam,

i'm sure your other half meant well. How are your fish this morning???

I think you probably covered it with the water changes and cleaning any traces of MR M off the lid. If every one is fine then i don't think you need to worry.

I imagine if there were going to be problems you'd have seen them by now.

FC76

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 01:10:53 PM »
If your fish are still alive, good, the water changes did it.

For future reference, you can also put some carbon in the filter if you don't already use it. I don't have room in the filters in any of  my tanks but I do have a cheap internal filter which I use just for carbon. I put it in a mesh bag, being careful to fold any loos edges away from the impeller.

Another useful thing to have on standby is this rather expensive product. Just a layer in the filter will remove all sorts of nasties. It does come in different sizes.

Offline Yorkshireadam

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 08:40:09 PM »
Thanks guys, everything is fine, the fish actually look more active, possibly tripping off the chemicals?

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 08:16:26 AM »
Ah - that's my excuse for not doing the dusting!  :))

p.s. Have you also warned her about not using fly-spray?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 12:46:08 PM »
Or air fresheners, either spray or plug in.

Offline Resa

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 04:15:11 PM »
Oops....didn't know about plug-ins :-[
What about 'Feliway' plug-ins, for zenning out pudtats? I was considering one for my nutty cat, Archie....he's as mad as a box of frogs ;D

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 06:36:09 PM »
We've got a Feliway plug-in about 2m away from the tank and there seems to be no probs at all. We got it to help Violet settle in, and now it's the dredded firework season so it's back in use. We also have a joss stick on the go most evenings (being old hippies) and the fish are cool with that. ;D

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 06:51:37 PM »
Thanks for that, Col :) Do you think the feliway plug worked?
By the way, as I type, I have an old school joss stick on the go...quite often do when the old man is out..he's not good with stuff like that, you know, pot-pourri, air fresheners.....'specially those battery powered ones that puff out stuff when you're least expecting it.....and have just bent over and put your eyes right in the line of fire ;D They can set off his asthma, so if I'm cross with him, I threaten to plug 'em all in :rotfl:
Anyway, chill and enjoy your joss stick, man :afro

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 06:57:42 PM »
We used feliway for our cats when our son was born and i felt it definitely helped. I also know a lovely tale from my days working in the animal shelter of a puppy who went to his new home and spent the first night howling his head off. The owners got a DAP ( dog equivalent to feliway) plug in and the next night he was good as gold. The next morning they found he had dragged his bed underneath the plug in and was cuddled up snug as a bug in a rug!!! Cute!!!!

FC76

Offline ColinB

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 08:35:35 AM »
Hi Resa - I'm not sure if the Feliway works as it's impossible to do a placebo controlled, double-blind test on the kittykats. However; as Violet now will curl up on my lap fast asleep then I'll have to give them a thumbs-up!

Hi FC76 - that's a good story, and perhaps does show that it works.

A 'similar' story from a while back was that Fogarty tried to use some of our furniture for a scratching post and so I sprayed that bit of furniture with the Felliway spray - he never used it again.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 11:48:11 AM »
I think its well worth trying feliway. We used it all the time at the shelter, even sprayed ourselves with it sometimes!!!!!!  Theres another one called felifriend that is used for handling cats as it makes the experience less stressful, especially for those frightened little souls who often end up in rehoming centres.

Anyway, we seem to have gone a bit of topic now so I will shut up and go away!!!!  ;D

Fc76

Offline Resa

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 12:17:06 PM »

Anyway, we seem to have gone a bit of topic now so I will shut up and go away!!!!  ;D

Fc76

Yep.....we'll be getting thrown off and sent to 'Thinkcat' :rotfl:
Thanks though everyone,  that's been helpful.

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • a clean looking tank is not always a safe tank
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 04:34:21 PM »
fly spray flea spray air freshener  there is many more out there that are fatal to fish  :(

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Disaster"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post March 07, 2014, 12:40:29 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post August 11, 2014, 09:31:19 PM
by Sue
16 Replies
Last post November 12, 2014, 08:28:18 PM
by fishcake76
9 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 10:45:21 PM
by Fiona
14 Replies
Last post February 10, 2016, 10:57:24 AM
by Extreme_One
12 Replies
Last post February 26, 2016, 07:57:46 AM
by Fiona
9 Replies
Last post September 13, 2018, 08:44:04 PM
by Bazza2000

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: