Cloudy Smelly Tank.

Author Topic: Cloudy smelly tank.  (Read 9042 times) 36 replies

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Cloudy smelly tank.
« on: September 22, 2014, 11:54:48 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So bad news first, all of my fish have died whilst I have been away for a few days, I haven't left a holiday feeder or anything in the tank.
The tank its self is over 2 months old and was started using media from a friends tank which is fine and has been running for around 2 years, my tank is very cloudy, a white cloudy colour that rolls around the tank like fog? It also smells quite bad, with a smell I can't quite put my finger on? The heater is working fine as all my thermometers read a similar amount of around 26.5 degrees.

When I got back and tested the water my ph was the same as it always has been at 7.8, ammonia was at 0, nitrite was also 0 and nitrate was 20 which again is what it pretty much always is. I use api liquid testers, although a fish place near work has said they don't rate them and that JBL test kit is better?

I checked all the fish for any signs I could but they had no marks and the gills had no colour to them.
As far as I know nothing has gotten in the water as its in my room next to a window that is always on the latch for fresh airflow, some sunlight does hit the tank but not too much.

The smell, is hard to describe and the only thing I can liken it to is when I changed my old tank from gravel to sand, when I was taking the gravel out it had a very similar smell almost like a rotting smell maybe?

I did a water change the day before I left and a vacuum at the same time.

I'm going to clear and clean the tank in the next few days and throw the filter media away and use Sues fishless cycle, but just need to see if it's anything I have done?  If anybody has any ideas?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Mogwai

• Fishy Member
Re: Cloudy smelly tank.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 05:47:42 AM »
I suppose a bacteria bloom might have been caused by the dead fish. Hopefully one of the experienced people will offer advice, I just wanted to sympathise.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 06:44:38 AM »
hello rich sorry to hear about your fish loss

was someone alse taking care of the fish while you was away

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 08:46:52 AM »
No as i was only away for 4 days it was easier to just say dont do anything with it, my lights and bubbles run off timers so it didnt need anyone to do anything. As fish are ok for up to a week or so without food. All the equipment is working fine as are the timers?

Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 11:42:59 AM »
could the smell be from the dead fish rotting away and bloating , if they died on day 1 of your hoilday that is still plenty of time to decay and smell.
what fish was in the tank and was there any recent additions to the tank.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 12:35:57 PM »
Does sound like a bacterial bloom and whilst they aren't directly dangerous for the fish (i.e.  the bacterial don't harm the fish) they can severely deplete the oxygen. I suspect this is what could have happened. It normally happens during cycling though so not sure what started it.

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 01:24:33 PM »
Sorry to hear about that, Rich. I've left a tank of fish for 2 weeks with no ill effects so it wasn't a direct result of that.

The smell... was it a sort of compost heap smell?

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 02:32:47 PM »
That was not a nice welcome home  :(

It is difficult to say what happened. Everything I would say has already been mentioned.
Your ammonia and nitrite are perfect; you didn't have a pH crash; your nitrate is low enough even for very picky fishkeepers. Bacterial blooms aren't toxic to fish, just the oxygen problem dbaggie commented on.

Was there anyone in the house while you were away, either living there or going in to check things? Could they have sprayed something in the same room as the fish - air freshener, fly spray, furniture polish, perfume etc?

If you are worried about contamination of the filter media, by all means dispose of it and do a fishless cycle. But if you think it could be OK with just a wash, use dechlorinated water to wash it very thoroughly and use some ammonia to check if you have enough bacteria - that is, add 3ppm and see if there is any ammonia or nitrite present after 24 hours.

Re the API test kit, I don't think any make is better than any other with the liquid kits. Probably the shop only sells JBL and didn't want you going elsewhere for a different one. Salifert do make better quality testers, I think they are powders. They cost about the same to buy but do fewer tests per pack so they do work out more expensive.
Nitrate tests in all makes can be inaccurate if the one bottle that contains the insoluble ingredient isn't shaken properly. Salifert is reckoned to be the most accurate nitrate tester.

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 05:40:42 PM »
Thanks guys, and thanks for the sympathy. To answer your questions-

I thought it could be a bacteria bloom but as the tank has been running for some time didn't think it would be?

The smell is very hard to explain. It almost smells like when drains are blocked? Or when stagnant water is disturbed? That's the closest thing I can think of. Which is weird as I have a spray bar and bubbles so it definitely isn't stagnant.

With regards to filter media I'd rather start again especially with the smell, I have plent of filter stuff as it was cheaper to buy my media in bulk than separate. So have more than enough to start several tanks.

There were people in the house but they never go in my room when I'm not in and don't spray anything in the room.

I'll stick to the API tests then, as I've always found them ok. Just wondered with the extent they were going to discredit API and how JBL was better.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 06:12:49 PM »
The smell suggests something going off. It could be the fish after they died. Do you have any live plants, and how are they? Something happened (obviously); the problem is finding out exactly what  :-\

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 07:03:41 PM »
That's what I thought, It could have been the fish but all the fish were removed when I got home Sunday evening. I know I got them all as i was counting what fish were to see if I had any alive. I do have live plants probably around 150ish most of them seemed ok, only a couple looked to be slightly dying but these were the newer of the bunch and have been in for around 2 weeks where they usually die off slightly then come back in my experience. The smell though has gotten worse as I left the tank running without the lights on to see what would happen to the cloudiness but it hasn't moved and the smell has just gotten worse. So I'm currently removing all the water and plants now as the plants ( most of them) have a white film or slight coating to them??

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 01:54:23 AM »
Does it smell of rotten eggs?

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 10:19:15 PM »
According to my other half rotten eggs was the closest smell she could think of, I've lead a sheltered life and have never smelt rotten eggs lol

Offline SteveS

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 11:05:01 PM »
What has happened is this... (my theory anyway). In certain deep and dark depths below the surface of your sand, in an area or areas with poor surface circulation a deadly menace has appeared! An anaerobic bacterium has found a nice cuddly space in which to raise it's family of blood-curdling killers. Slowly over the months, the family has become a horde, releasing their deadly toxins, consisting mainly of hydrogen sulphide (the rotten eggs smell), into the deep sand beds in your tank. Then... suddenly... something breaks though this large toxin laden area. It may be a root or a fish or you may disturb the killers yourself. The results are the same; The Hydrogen sulphide gas is released into your tank as a deadly poison!  Duh-duh-duuuuh! :yikes:

You need to keep the depth of your sand layers below about 2" You need to to aerate the sand beds regularly by pushing something though them, or get yourself some MTS. (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) (Thscweam... Thcweam... thcweam... thcw.....)  :sick:

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 11:28:23 PM »
Well that was something I considered Steve, but wasn't sure as my tank was only running for around 10/11 weeks that it was long enough for that to happen??

Anyway I've emptied the tank to start cleaning it and the rocks and filter and heater tomorrow to start the fish less cycle over the weekend.

On a side note I've found an online place to get some mor plants and for the amount its very cheap! 200 plants for just under £29 which is an awful lot cheaper than it was for me to buy them in shops. Anyone had any experience buying plants online???

Offline Resa

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 11:38:51 PM »
Hi Rich D  :wave:

So many people having problems with their tanks, it seems at the moment. I'm sorry to see that you are having troubles too.
I had wondered if a little toxic pocket under your sand had occurred and then been disturbed, but not being much of an expert, I didn't suggest it. Still, if Steve thinks that, then I would definitely consider it as a strong possibility....he's quite clever, you know :isay: but don't tell him I said that ;)

Anyway, good luck with all your tank spring cleaning.

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 07:49:14 AM »
yes rich i bought all my plants from ebay, was much cheeper than buying from my local shops , i was very pleased with them and they seemed to arrive to me in very good condition , they was in re usable bags and was nice and moist , i would certainly buy again.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 07:53:08 AM »
Rich, how horrid for you, and the fish, sorry this has happened.
Steve, I have sand under 2" deep, and MTS, and do the stirring thing... occasionally.  Will do so again once the fish are 'up' but every time I do this, there are gas bubbles produced. So I know that H2S is being produced, should I do anything more?
Actually I've just looked at the tape measure and two inches is not very much at all, maybe I need to take out some sand. Also I have undisturbed areas under rocks.

Offline SteveS

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 09:26:03 AM »
You seem to have it mostly covered Puffin. I could add that you try and squidge your rocks own so the gap is less than 2" and to improve the circulation in your tank. Any Hydrogen Sulphide can then get whisked away and degassed to atmosphere before doing any damage.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 09:56:38 AM »
Thanks Steve, I've given the sand a good squidge, I have to be a lot more careful with this now i have pygmy cory in there! As it turns out, the sand doesn't get any deeper than 2". But lots of gas was released.
How does it cause problems? When the gas is released slowly and dissolves into the water?

(Apparently squidge isn't a word, lol)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Cloudy smelly tank."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
13 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 08:47:20 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2014, 07:28:34 PM
by Bazz2206
3 Replies
Last post October 08, 2014, 10:24:34 AM
by Bluejon71
6 Replies
Last post August 31, 2016, 07:29:49 AM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2016, 12:47:00 PM
by Ally2
2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2018, 06:05:30 PM
by Emmdee
2 Replies
Last post October 20, 2020, 02:55:13 PM
by Vanadia

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: