Chlorine Remover Not Working

Author Topic: Chlorine remover not working  (Read 7422 times) 10 replies

Offline Colin H

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Chlorine remover not working
« on: June 04, 2017, 03:54:28 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi, I have been having problems with high chlorine levels in my tank despite putting chlorine and chloramine remover.

About two weeks ago, I found one of my cherry barbs dead. It had been thin and struggling to swim before it died. At the time I assumed that it had died of old age but one of my other barbs is also struggling to swim. It keeps lying on the bottom of my tank and when it swims it is very floppy. Its gills are red. When I tested the water I got a chorine reading of 3.0 mg/l. 

I put more chorine remover into my tank which  hasn't lowered my chorine reading but the fish got better for a few days. The fish then started showing the same symptoms again. None of my other fish and shrimps are having problems.

I decided to do a water change yesterday with tap water treated with chlorine remover and ammonia remover but I am still getting the same chlorine reading of 3.0 mg/l. This is my normal procedure when I change the water and until now it has removed the chlorine from the water.  I have not made any other changes to my tank. The water change did not help the ill fish.

Since I started having problems I have tried 3 types of chlorine remover including 2 type that I often use and they are not working.

What  could be going wrong and what should I do next?

Thanks

Colin

Tank parameters:

Time set up: 5 years.
Volume: 47l
Filtration: Under gravel filter powered by an air pump
N03: 0
N02: 0
Temperature 24.3c
Ammonia: 0
Stock: 4 cherry barbs 3 other barbs 4  shrimps

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Neon Tetra (1) - Cherry Barb (3) - Lampeye Panchax (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Chlorine remover not working
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 04:05:19 PM »
How are you measuring the chlorine - and the other parameters?

Have you tested your tap water to see how high chlorine is in that?

if the tester reads the same for the tank and the tap I would do a more dramatic test. Run a glass of water and add some drops of bleach, mixing well, and see what reading that gives. If that is still the same, the answer is your tester is faulty. Household bleach is a source of chlorine so this should make the reading go up. For thick bleach (eg Domestos) a few drops should be enough for the test, but with thin bleaches (eg supermarket basic range) you'll need more.

Which dechlorinators have you tried? With some brands you are not supposed to overdose, but others are OK.

One thing that does concern me is your nitrate reading. It is almost impossible to have a reading of zero in a tank unless it is planted like a jungle, which is not really a good idea with a UG filter as the roots clog it up. What kind of tester are you using for that?

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 05:08:37 PM »
Strange, normally chlorine would gas out of tap water within 8 hours (I let mine stand for 24 hours to make sure). 

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 05:15:00 PM »
If the chlorine is part of chloramine it won't gas out but will still register on a chlorine tester.

Offline Colin H

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 07:30:28 PM »

Thanks for the replies everyone. My test kit  was not working. I hadn't realised it was two years out of date. :-[ I bought a new test kit (Tetra 6 in 1 test strip) and it gave a chlorine reading of 0

My barb died. When I found it  dead this morning its colourings were very pale and its gills were red. My other fish and shrimps are not having any problems. What might have been wrong with the barb that died?

How are you measuring the chlorine - and the other parameters?

I measured all the parameters with my old Tetra 6 in 1 test strip except the ammonia which was taken using a test tube test kit.

Which dechlorinators have you tried? With some brands you are not supposed to overdose, but others are OK.

My main ones are King British Safe Water and Interpet Bioactive Tapsafe. I only use one at a time. Which one I use depends on which shop I buy my dechlorinator from. I am normally careful about getting the right amount of tap safe but since I thought my tank had chlorine in it, I felt there was more risk to the fish from the chlorine than from using too much dechlorinator.

One thing that does concern me is your nitrate reading. It is almost impossible to have a reading of zero in a tank unless it is planted like a jungle, which is not really a good idea with a UG filter as the roots clog it up. What kind of tester are you using for that?

My old test kit was also giving a wrong nitrate reading. Todays test with the new kit gave me:
Nitrate  25 mg/l
Nitrite  0 mg/l
Chlorine 0 mg/l
My tank has a lot of java moss but no other plants

Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 07:39:39 PM »
The expiry date on the old strips would explain everything. I suspected a problem with the strips given how they gave the same reading after adding more dechlorinator - and the zero nitrate gave an extra clue.

As for the barbs, a few more questions.
How long since you got the fish that have died?
What species are the non-cherry barbs?
Has there ever been any ammonia and/or nitrite in the tank while they were in there?
Have you got any new fish recently?
Any other symptoms besides going thin and having red gills? The pale colour of the second death could have happened post mortem.

Offline Colin H

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 07:20:19 PM »
I hadn't realised that test kits expire but I am relieved that my tank water is not filled with chlorine. My remaining fish and shrimps are still ok.

How long since you got the fish that have died?

The cherry barb that died had been the tank for about a year. The other barb has been in the tank since February or March this year.

What species are the non-cherry barbs?

I think they are pentazona barbs.

Has there ever been any ammonia and/or nitrite in the tank while they were in there?

Not that I am aware of. I normally only test my water when I have problems.

Have you got any new fish recently?

No
Any other symptoms besides going thin and having red gills? The pale colour of the second death could have happened post mortem.
The second fish was swimming abnormally. It seemed very floppy when it was swimming but it seemed a normal weight when it died. The cherry barb was swimming normally before it died but was very thin.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 07:36:01 PM »
Yes, test kits do have an expiry date. And there are also other considerations.
Strips tend to not work properly if they have got damp so keep them in an airtight container.
Liquid reagent testers start to go off once they are opened and air (specifically oxygen in the air) gets into the bottle. They need replacing when they have been opened for 12 months regardless of how much is left.

Your answers indicate that the two fish did not die of old age. They should both live longer than a year.

No new fish means you haven't just brought a disease into the tank causing the fish already there to catch it and die.

You would probably know from the behaviour of the fish if you had an ammonia and/or nitrite spike. They would spend most of their time at the surface and possibly gulping air.

Getting thin does suggest an internal problem of some sort. But this is very hard to diagnose as an internal problem could be bacterial, viral, protozoan or parasitic.
Just to rule it out, have you ever seen any of the fish doing clear stringy poo? Or seen any red threads coming from the anus when the fish stop swimming for the odd second or two?

Are all the other fish still fit and healthy?

Offline Colin H

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 07:40:42 PM »

Just to rule it out, have you ever seen any of the fish doing clear stringy poo? Or seen any red threads coming from the anus when the fish stop swimming for the odd second or two?

No I haven't seen either of these symptoms.

Are all the other fish still fit and healthy?

Other fish are still OK. They are swimming normally and are not gasping for air.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 07:42:46 PM »
In that case, all I can suggest is to keep a close eye on the fish for a short while. Hopefully the two deaths were just "one of those things".

Offline Colin H

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 06:08:38 PM »
In that case, all I can suggest is to keep a close eye on the fish for a short while. Hopefully the two deaths were just "one of those things".
I hope so too. I will monitor them closely.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Chlorine remover not working"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post February 05, 2014, 02:22:47 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post December 05, 2014, 02:48:25 PM
by Aquamaid
3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2015, 09:11:16 PM
by Sanjo
12 Replies
Last post June 18, 2017, 09:49:11 PM
by glitch74
3 Replies
Last post March 28, 2016, 02:58:49 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post February 21, 2018, 08:07:13 PM
by Littlefish
16 Replies
Last post August 11, 2019, 12:39:23 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: