Cherry Shrimp

Author Topic: Cherry Shrimp  (Read 5862 times) 12 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Cherry Shrimp
« on: March 25, 2014, 05:21:26 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all again

I've been looking for Sue's thread about cherry red shrimps and my own, but can't seem to find it. I've unfortunately been losing shrimp again  :(

I bought 6 shrimp a little while back, but unfortunately one was dead / dying as soon as I got them home (not sure what happened here, but since it was one shrimp and I can't drive it wasn't worth going back since my partner had to take me). I noticed the other day that the maximum shrimp I could count at once was 3. I was hoping that since I still have hornwurt in my tank, these little guys were just hiding really well, as at night I can't even see any of my fish as they sleep in it!

Today my power went off (and I'd planned for it). However whilst it was off I noticed a dead shrimp in the tank - I guess she must have died recently or my endlers would have eaten the body. Anyway, the body had a cracked back, as Sue has described before. I've been using my Betta G as usual, so I'm confused what's going on with my tank. Perhaps I should go back to more frequent but smaller water changes, say twice a week, and see what happens?

And now since I had the powercut I'm not sure whether to do a water change or leave the tank to settle. Urgh

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

Re: Cherry Shrimp
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 06:03:16 PM »
Can't help you on this specifically, Jesnon. However; when I moved my tank to the other side on the lounge a couple of months ago we found a dead shrimp behind the cabinet - the little idiot had climbed out! Is there a way out of your tank that they might escape through?

I've still got two from my original five a year or so ago, but I rarely see them both out at the same time.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 06:10:07 PM »
I wouldn't have thought so as my tank has a lid, but then I guess the shrimp could climb up the pre-filter or heater and then end up out of water... they do hang around on them a lot!

Another problem I'm having at the minute is that my heater has got some of that black algae I had problems with before. I'm not sure how to get rid of it since I need the heater as I don't have a spare!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 06:52:54 PM »
If the water changes and beta G worked before, I'd give them another try. Maybe do a water change tomorrow - but double the dechlorinator as you mentioned in another thread that your water had also been off today.

I have read of something else recommended for shrimps - bacter ae. In the UK I can only find one stockist (the ebay seller is the same shop that has their own website) but it is VERY expensive. It is supposed to contain things to enhance the biofilm, which is what shrimps feed off. Does it work? No idea, and at the price they charge I'm a bit reluctant to try it and see  :-\

Is this your thread? And is this the one of mine you were thinking of (the first few posts are about plants)

Offline jesnon

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 08:56:12 AM »
Ahh Thanks Sue! I couldn't find those at all!

Will have a go with the water changes again and see how things go.  How often do you dose betta g in your tank? Perhaps I'm not using it enough. .. I'll let the tank settle again before hunting down some more shrimp, the poor little guys must be lonely!

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 09:16:02 AM »
I dose it once a week, straight after a water change.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 09:18:06 AM »
Hmm that's the same as me then.  Though I find it hard to tell how much to dose at a time since my tank is so small!

Offline Richard W

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 09:21:45 AM »
What is betta G and why do people add it to their tanks?

Offline ColinB

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
This might be complete rubbish..... but I read somewhere it's best not to use liquid ferts with the water change 'cos the water conditioner used to remove or bind the chlorine and heavy metals can do that to some of the additives in the fertiliser and it's better to add the fert the next day. Perhaps this may also be happening with the BettaG and you'd be better off adding it a day after the water change???

Like I say - I could be talking rubbish - just passing on something I read somewhere, sometime.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 09:59:42 AM »
Beta G is beta-glucans, specifically the one made by genchem. It is supposed to help boost shrimps' immune systems. All my shop bought shrimps died trying to moult. Natalia, a member on here who has a lot of experience with shrimps, thought the likely cause was a shrimp specific bacterium since the quality of my water seemed to be fine for shrimps. She said that some people used Seachem Paraguard as a cure but that she preferred to use beta-glucans as a preventative; it is used by breeders of the more delicate shrimp. Since it is not very expensive I decided to give it a try. I got some just as the last shop bought shrimp died, and the babies that hatched from her eggs have thrived. This may or may not be due to the beta g, but as i have a whole bag and you use very little in a small tank I'm keeping on using it.

Colin, I can see how dechlorinators might affect fertilisers since most of them also bind heavy metals. They could remove the trace metal component of the ferts. Beta glucans would appear to be polysaccharides of D-glucose monomers, ie they are big organic molecules. These are probably safe from dechlorinators though they'd be removed by carbon in the filter.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 11:28:54 AM »
No wonder I couldn't find it anywhere, was looking for betta not beta ...........
It's useful to know, as I'm planning to use my smallest (30 litre) tank as a shrimp only set up, starting with 10 so it could be expensive if they all die.
I note that a lot of flake foods claim to include beta glucan. Maybe in a fish-included tank not enough flake reaches the shrimp? Lots of literature suggests that shrimp can thrive on a flake diet.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 11:33:48 AM »
Colin, I can see how dechlorinators might affect fertilisers since most of them also bind heavy metals. They could remove the trace metal component of the ferts. Beta glucans would appear to be polysaccharides of D-glucose monomers, ie they are big organic molecules. These are probably safe from dechlorinators though they'd be removed by carbon in the filter.

Seems reasonable. Like I said - just a thought, and I didn't know what BetaG was. My first thought was an Iodine type suppliment.

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 12:29:03 PM »
Colin, that's one advantage of having studied chemistry  ;)

Richard - Natalia seems to know a lot about shrimps which is why I tried beta-g. I've had the odd shrimp die since last summer but not the wholesale wipeout I had before. The bacterium in question affects the moulting process and all my shrimps have died with white bands across their backs, ie they were trying to moult. Beta-g isn't a miracle cure; it is meant to help the shrimp's immune system rather than kill the bacterium.
I haven't come across food containing beta-g. When I had the baby shrimps in the quarantine tank I fed them on Hikari Shrimp Cuisine, ground up to powder. Now that they are in a tank with fish, I feed a cocktail of crushed (not powdered) shrimp cuisine and new life spectrum pellets, and crumbled NLS flake (there are pygmy cories and Sundadanio axelrodi in the same tank and they all need small food particles). Obviously they all eat some of everything but at least the shrimps do have access to shrimp-specific food.
If you are setting up a tank for shrimps you might want to research bacter ae. That is supposed to help the biofilm develop, which is good for shrimps. I came across it on another forum, being recommended by a shrimp expert on there.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Cherry Shrimp"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2013, 11:13:34 AM
by jesnon
33 Replies
Last post May 02, 2016, 08:25:53 PM
by AdyDnt
3 Replies
Last post March 12, 2014, 01:43:55 PM
by tropicalhabitat
2 Replies
Last post January 04, 2015, 05:31:01 PM
by Sanjo
0 Replies
Last post April 09, 2015, 03:58:55 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post May 23, 2015, 09:34:01 PM
by Cod_only_knows
2 Replies
Last post June 17, 2015, 01:28:37 PM
by Fiona

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: