Author Topic: Cardinal Tetra with Popeye ! :(  (Read 5430 times) 8 replies

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
Cardinal Tetra with Popeye ! :(
« on: September 04, 2015, 06:22:54 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So this morning before work I noticed a Cardinal with bulging eyes. Unfortunately I was just off to work so couldn't do anything until I got home this evening.

First thing I did was check water parameters.

Ammonia and Nitrites are 0 and Nitrate is normal at about 30ppm

The Cardinal is swimming strangely and his eyes are still bulging. I think the end is near.

I wonder if it was the same one that was a bit odd during quarantine, hiding away from the rest of the shoal, however he's been in the main tank for a few weeks now and had seemed fine.

I have a couple of questions:

I have no Clove Oil - is there another suitable method of dispatch I can consider? I hate to admit but looking at him I don't think he has long left and probably not worth setting up the hospital tank for.

Is it advisable to dose the main tank with eSHa 2000 as a preventative?

I'm afraid, as I don't know the cause, that without preventative treatment the rest of the shoal might start displaying symptoms. Or should I just wait and see?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Cardinal Tetra with Popeye ! :(
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 07:16:23 PM »
I always think it's worth trying to save a fish - some can make complete turnarounds, and, irrespective of size or cost, they're still a living being which we have a 'duty of care' towards.

I would set up the hospital tank (or a smaller tub if you have one/if that's easier) and dose it with eSHa 2000.  At least that way, you're giving the fish a chance.  [Of my 3 pygmy cories, one of them is the one who was Bent Spine Cory a few months ago, with the weirdest swimming action which was pitiful to watch - many would have used the clove oil, yet here he is swimming around happily as ever. In fact, I can't work out which of the 3 he is/was as he's been completely cured for the past couple of months and looks just like the other two.]

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 07:25:40 PM »
I always think it's worth trying to save a fish - some can make complete turnarounds, and, irrespective of size or cost, they're still a living being which we have a 'duty of care' towards.

I hope you don't think I was being heartless. I'm just being realistic when I say I don't think he'll make it.

He's currently in a breeding trap, in the main tank, so i can keep an eye on him. I've given some crushed cooked pea but I'm not sure if he's eaten any.

I would rather save him, of course, but my hospital/QT tank is needed this weekend for a new shoal of CPDs.
This plan might change though if things change with the poorly Cardinal this evening.

I couldn't settle at work today worrying about him and his tankmates.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 07:40:13 PM »
You could use a plastic tub as a QT but you would need to do lots of water changes as it won't have a filter.

If you are squeamish, stop reading now.

Just in case you do need to know -
You need to kill a fish quickly to prevent further stress to the animal. If you don't have clove oil, the next best method (next best in terms of ending suffering as quickly a possible) is blunt trauma ie use a hammer or some such to destroy the head. You need to be as quick as you can and make sure you kill the fish with the first blow. And make sure the brain is totally destroyed.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 07:43:00 PM »
You could use a plastic tub as a QT but you would need to do lots of water changes as it won't have a filter.

Thanks Sue I hadn't considered that. What at temperature? Would leaving it at room temperature be plausible? It's still mild here (touch wood)

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 07:49:27 PM »
Hmmm, hadn't thought of that  :-[

If the tub is small enough and it can be secured and covered (fish jump) you could put it in the main tank. You'd need to be careful it didn't over turn. If that isn't possible, then keep it in the warmest spot you have.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 09:33:15 PM »

I hope you don't think I was being heartless. I'm just being realistic when I say I don't think he'll make it.
[/quote]

No worries.

Re temperature, before I bought the QT and when I had my HRs quarantining in the spare tank, I put a fish in a tub at room temperature (ie mid-20s in June), with a towel wrapped taut (to prevent it dipping in) over the top (to keep it dark and keep the heat in) and the temperature remained at that level more or less.

I really hope he pulls through. Good luck!

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 08:21:11 AM »
He went into quarantine last night and had a dose of eSHa 2000 but this morning he was belly up. :(

So far the rest of the tank looks healthy...

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 08:28:56 AM »
Sorry to hear that. You did the best you could.

Tags: fish health 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Cardinal Tetra with Popeye ! :("

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post March 06, 2013, 07:53:41 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post May 02, 2015, 02:23:48 PM
by Richard W
6 Replies
Last post October 17, 2019, 07:46:44 PM
by Matt
36 Replies
Last post July 22, 2020, 05:57:51 PM
by fcmf
0 Replies
Last post October 13, 2020, 03:32:22 PM
by fcmf
38 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 01:34:18 PM
by fcmf
10 Replies
Last post January 05, 2023, 08:29:21 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: