Betta Laying On Side At Bottom Of Tank

Author Topic: Betta laying on side at bottom of tank  (Read 10932 times) 62 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Betta laying on side at bottom of tank
« on: August 21, 2018, 11:03:56 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Seb, the plakat betta, is currently laying on his side at the bottom of the tank.
Water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 40 nitrate (same as tap water). Temperature is 26-27C, and by water is 17dH. The tank last had a clean & water change on 18th.
Seb has been laying on his side since last night. His colour is still good, his gills are moving, but he hasn't been to the surface for air. He will move a little if he has to, but that's about it.
I've had a rummage around the internet, and I'm not coming up with anything obvious. A couple of articles said that if they are still eating then there is still hope, so I used the aquascaping forceps to offer a bloodworm, which was eaten.
Any suggestions welcome.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
Re: Betta laying on side at bottom of tank
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 11:22:03 AM »
If he has swim bladder problems, should I move the panda cories & assassin snails to another tank while I treat Seb?
He has had one bloodworm today, should I starve him in case of constipation, or try to get him to eat peas?
Should I increase the tank temperature? Or will fiddling with the tank stress him?
Should I try medications? Which one? A quick rummage through my cupboard provides me with a range of ESHA products, along with melafix, and myxazin.

Yes, I'm starting to panic.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 11:25:08 AM »
Should I drop the water level so he can breath from the surface without moving too much?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 12:22:42 PM »
I didn't think he could be overfed/constipated as I was away for a few days last week, so he wasn't fed. He had food on Friday, then again on Sunday, and yesterday.
I'm in the process of getting the 19L tank I use for growing algae on rocks on the windowsill ready to be used as a hospital tank for Seb.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 12:36:03 PM »
Bettas are such odd creatures. They can go from fit and healthy to really sick in such a short time. My last two were like this. But that is no consolation to you  :(

You need to either lower the water level or put him in some sort of container floating at the surface. As you are aware, he needs to be able to gulp air so if he can't reach the surface himself, you need to get him nearer the surface by some means or other. If you can filter the 19 litre while having the water level low that would be perfect. One proviso - if you intend using it again to grow algae, will the algae covered rocks be used in tanks with inverts? Any medication residue could contaminate the rocks/algae.

Do not use melafix, bettafix or pimafix with any anabatid. The organic oils they contain affect the labyrinth organ. But if you have eSHa 2000, that would be my first choice, followed by Myxazin as a second.

How long have you had Seb?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 12:48:41 PM »
I can filter the 19L with a low water level, so I'll go for that.
I've taken out the stones that I was growing algae on, and given the tank a quick rinse.
Should I use water from the main tank that Seb is currently in for the hospital tank?
I can take a bit of the filter sponge out of the main tank and put it in the small filter for the hospital tank.
I'll also move the larger shrimp tubes into the hospital tank, as Seb can fit in them if he wants to.

I'll mark the Melafix as not to be used for bettas, as I'll probably forget this in the future. I do have Esha2000, so I'll give that a go.

I'll have to check how long I've had him.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 12:52:36 PM »
I think I've had him since around mid-2016.
Yes, I'm aware that he is knocking on a bit.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 01:23:53 PM »
Seb has been transferred to the small tank, with a small filter, heater, air stone, some decor and some elodea.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 01:31:13 PM »
If you've had him 2 years he is anything from 2 1/2 to 3 years old - they are between 6 and 12 months when they go for sale. 2 years +/- a few months is the longest I've had a betta.

Now he's in the small tank, see how he goes. Make sure ammonia doesn't build up, then all you can do is keep your fingers crossed.

It is always sad to see fish go downhill like this, particularly fish with personality  :(

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 02:54:14 PM »
I wouldn't like to think that I could have done something to help his situation, but I'm also aware of his age.
At least now he is in the small tank he is getting some peace and quiet. As much as I like the panda cories, they are quite active at the bottom of the main tank.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 06:40:31 PM »
Did you use fresh chlorinated water for him? Water changes are always a good thing in my book... sorry but that's all I have to add apart for wishing you and Seb all the best!  :-\

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 07:38:50 PM »
I think you're doing all that is possible, thanks to others' advice, and he'll appreciate the lower water level, peace from being in his own quarters, etc. As Matt says, frequent water changes can be very helpful (I think he meant to write dechlorinated, though) and I'd probably do a 10% water change daily. Best of luck; I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for Seb.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 07:49:07 PM »
He's currently in 5L of dechlorinated water in the 19L tank in the spare room. The tank is in the bottom of an open-fronted cabinet, and I've been laying on the floor watching him. He has moved a little, but is still on his side. Although I've put some filter sponge in front of the filter so the flow isn't too strong, Seb has positioned himself between the cave and the shrimp tubes, and under the elodea. I guess it's the quietest spot in the tank.
I'll see how things are tomorrow, and do a small water change if he's still with us.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 08:10:42 PM »
As Matt says, frequent water changes can be very helpful (I think he meant to write dechlorinated, though) and I'd probably do a 10% water change daily. Best of luck; I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for Seb.

Yes sorry... this is the problem with posting from a phone. Between large fingers and small buttons, and the joys of the system autocorrecting everything even if it doesn't need correcting I'm actually surprised I don't make more mistakes like this!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 07:55:36 AM »
I'll be doing a water change for Seb today.

He's still laying on his side, but still alive.

Any advice?

I've been up since 6am, but it's taken several cups of coffee before I felt able to go and have a look at him. I've also been thinking, and I know this seems quite pessimistic, but how long do I keep him like this before I consider more drastic action if he's not getting better? I don't want him to be suffering. Also, how do you euthanise a betta?

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 09:05:28 AM »
While he is still breathing, there is hope. And I really do understand how you feel, having had several bettas over the years.

I usually wait until the betta shows no interest whatsoever in food, particularly bloodworms. They are so fond of those that if a betta doesn't want one, he's in a bad way.

Should it be necessary, the most recent way of putting down a fish is with an overdose of the fish anaesthetic Aqua Sed. Or you can still use clove oil, or a blunt instrument.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 09:35:37 AM »
I have a small bottle of clove oil in my emergency cupboard.
I was asking about this because there was a debate in PFK within the past few months on the topic, and I remembered some discussion about clove oil and anabantoid fish, the clove oil forming a layer at the surface, and how painful it could be for fish with labyrinth organs.
I've just gone back and checked on the article, and thorough mixing, and use of an airstone to keep the clove oil mixed with the water, are suggested. They end with noting that clove oil is still the best way to euthanise a fish, for those who don't want to go down the route of blunt force and pithing (and let's face it, who wants to do that unless it is absolutely necessary  :sick: ).

Just a couple of quick questions - after the water change, should I start some esha2000 today? And should I try to feed him? He had a bloodworm yesterday.

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 09:42:55 AM »
I would start the eSHa 2000, and feed him 1 bloodworm. If he eats that readily give him a second. Up to a max of 3 bloodworm a day. Though if he recovers you may have difficulty weaning him off bloodworms, which are not an ideal diet for a healthy betta (but are ideal for tempting an off colour betta)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2018, 09:58:13 AM »
Thanks @Sue  - you rock!

Just off to start preparing for the water change, etc.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 10:44:10 AM »
Seb has had a water change - I tested the water I removed from the tank and compared it to the tap water - 0, 0, 40 for both.
I offered him a bloodworm, and he took it with much more enthusiasm than yesterday (hoping that's not just my imagination).
I've also added the first dose of medication - my maths/dilution factor skills leave something to be desired, but I sorted out the pre-dilution of the medication for the 5L QT eventually.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Betta laying on side at bottom of tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
18 Replies
Last post February 19, 2013, 09:26:43 AM
by ColinB
7 Replies
Last post March 07, 2014, 06:28:26 PM
by Sue
27 Replies
Last post August 22, 2016, 10:11:02 PM
by Littlefish
7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2017, 12:46:26 PM
by Littlefish
16 Replies
Last post April 08, 2019, 08:09:30 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post June 20, 2020, 11:50:18 AM
by CardinalTetraphilia
6 Replies
Last post December 25, 2022, 05:41:29 PM
by Nan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: