Bad To Worse... Please Help!

Author Topic: Bad to worse... Please help!  (Read 2931 times) 4 replies

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Bad to worse... Please help!
« on: August 13, 2014, 03:12:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Help! Now my minnows are dying. I have just fished a female out of the tank that showed no signs of illness at all until I found her floating dead in the tank.

I tested the water again and there has been a sudden spike in nitrite - since yesterday when there was less than 1mg/l, today I measured 6. I did a 50% water change immediately - it's only been a week since I moved my tank and did about a 25% water change then.

My minnows have been through thick and thin - I have a lovely caretaker at school who thought he would help me to look after the tank. Several weeks ago he massively overfed them, washed the filters under the tap and topped it up with warm tap water causing it to go cloudy for two days! And the minnows/cories survived all of it! So why are my fish dying now?!!!

All of this has happened since I bought three new fish. Two are already dead. Could they have brought something into my tank? Can the LFS test for bugs?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Bad to worse... Please help!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 03:30:50 PM »
Unfortunately the only way to test for bugs is at a vet if you could find one willing to do it as most of them know little about fish.

I would suggest the nitrite is to blame, though can I ask which tester you are using? Most of the ones I'm aware of only go up to 5ppm (mg/l are the same thing).

If it is a genuine reading, nitrite is extremely high, high enough to kill fish. It blocks the oxygen receptors on red blood cells in the same way carbon monoxide does to us and the fish suffocates. The nitrite does not come off the blood cell, which is why the effect is long term. The affected blood cells are eventually broken down and replaced in the same way that all blood cells are.

The best thing to save your remaining fish is a huge water change, or several big ones in a row. Test half an hour after each water change (to allow the new water to mix in) and keep on doing changes until nitrite reads below 0.25. Then test every day and do more water changes when necessary to keep it below that level.

But why is your nitrite so high? It could be the colony of nitrite eaters was disturbed during the move.

It is possible that the new fish did introduce something and the combined effect of that and the high nitrite has killed the old fish. But the nitrite alone would have a bad effect on both new and old fish.

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 05:37:01 PM »
Thanks Sue
Unfortunately I am using test strips as my liquid test has run out and order has not yet arrived. It supposedly measures up to 10 mg/l. The bloke in LFS said they are rubbish and he wouldn't stir his tea with them. I took my water samples in to the fish shop and they did a liquid test - on the water both before and after the water change and there was zero nitrate, nitrate and ammonia for both water samples - nothing wrong with the water chemistry. He suggested something nasty in the tap water that the new fish didn't like, but the older ones may have become accustomed to over time (doesn't explain the minnow however) and that I shouldn't use warm from the tap to mix with the cold tap water, but boiled water.
He gave me 10l of RO water to add into the tank in the morning when it has got to the correct temp overnight and suggested adding 10l ideally for every water change. (They don't charge for it). I also bought some Melafix which I have not yet added to the tank. I thought I would start tomorrow after I do the water change (adding the RO)
Am I right in thinking RO brings down the hardness too?
Does this sound like good advice?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 07:50:49 PM »
Oooh, a shop that says strips are rubbish instead of trying to sell them to you.

Zero nitrate is unusual unless you've just done a big water change with water that doesn't contain any - and that's unusual in the UK. Some places have 40ppm in the tap water. With nitrate being the end point in the nitrogen cycle, a tank usually has a reading somewhere above zero for that. But nitrate liquid testers are not terribly accurate. If the shop man didn't shake one bottle hard enough, it would have given a false reading.

How do introduce new fish to the tank? The better way is to float the bag in the tank and add small amounts of tank water every 15-ish minutes for a couple of hours to gradually change the bag water to the same as your tank.

Do you have a combi boiler or a hot water cylinder fed by a header tank in the attic? With a combi boiler, it is OK to use hot tap water. With the hot water cylinder, there could be anything in the header tank in the attic, so you should boil a kettle.

Adding a small volume of RO at each water change will lower your hardness, but if it's only a tiny % of the total water change not by much. Be careful about changing the water conditions with RO too much at any one water change.

Melafix is more akin to dettol for us - fine to stop an infection getting in a wound but not much use once an infection has taken hold. Be warned, it smells of tea tree oil!

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 10:50:41 AM »
I did think it was odd that there was no difference between the before and after water samples, as it was a week since I did a water change your would expect some difference in readings. Perhaps he could see that I am a bit of a dunderhead and kept it simple for me - more nothing to worry about rather than nothing at all.

I think maybe I have been a bit careless introducing my fish to the tank. I tend to let them sit in their bag in the water for half an hour or so, and then open the bag and let them swim out. I haven't been adding the tank water little by little, so I will do that in future. (Although no plans to add anymore fish for a while!!)

I am a bit wary of the RO. Have asked ColinB for some advice as he has the same tank and similar water and I know he uses RO in his tank.

Thanks again for your advice! I will stop pestering you all now!

All fish looking happy and feeding this morning.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Bad to worse... Please help!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
21 Replies
Last post November 18, 2014, 09:14:29 PM
by Aquamaid
24 Replies
Last post July 10, 2018, 09:17:15 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: