Awww My Ottos Are In Crisis

Author Topic: Awww my Ottos are in crisis  (Read 3297 times) 7 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Awww my Ottos are in crisis
« on: September 25, 2014, 11:44:39 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
My son just confessed he forgot to feed the fish a few times while I was at my sisters. Not to much of a biggie as far as the other fish go but my ottos need feeding every day and now they're not eating. I'm absolutey gutted and seriously angry with him!

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Awww my Ottos are in crisis
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 12:37:42 AM »
What do you normally feed them Fiona? As a friend of mine feeds them cucumber every 2/3 days and they love it! U could try a thickish piece and see if they go for that?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 08:44:05 AM »
I usually feed them with catfish pellets and they get blanched cucumber or courgette a couple of times a week but they're turning their noses up at everything. Their behaviour has completely changed since I've been away and I couldn't understand why but now I do.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 09:25:25 AM »
Sorry to hear about your ottos Fiona – hope they turn the corner soon.
You could try the cucumber as Rich says – all of my fish go absolutely mad for it when I offer it as an alternative to peas. I don't think there's that much nutritional value it, but if the idea is to get them eating again then that might be the most important point. I'm sure Sue, Steve, Colin and co. will be along to offer some advice as well though.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 09:27:06 AM »
Sorry, just realised you did mention cucumber as well as courgette.  :-[

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 11:26:12 AM »
Courgette is better than cucumber; more in the way of nutrients. I have read that otos will eat sushi nori but that it can make a bit of a mess in the tank. If you can cope with the mess it might be worth a try. And I've just found an article on Practical Fishkeeping's site that suggests blanched spinach.

Aha! I have just found a very good article on otos on wet web media, written by the fishkeeping guru Neale Monks. Here The first part of the article deals with the various species with how to keep them in the second half. In addition to spinach and sushi nori, he says that wood in the tank is essential for otos. I know that some species of plec need to rasp at wood as part of their diet, and it seems that otos might be the same. Do you have any wood in your tank? If not, it  might be a good idea to find a small piece and put it in straight away even at the risk of turning the water brown. Wash it first to remove any dust etc!

And for those of you who have never heard of zucchini as mentioned in the wet web media article, it is American for courgette  ;)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 10:22:18 PM »
I've got 3 large pieces of wood  in the tank which I prepared before adding to the tank and they have plants tied and growing to them. Before I went on holiday and left my son in charge everything was fine and they would happily chow down every night and loved the cucumber/courgette (zucchini) treats. He's said he forgot to feed the fish a few times which is ok with most fish but not my ottos.

I've tried every food I know they like (I googled and I've tried everything suggested) but they won't eat, they're just sitting there and before I went away they were so active and happy. Sheesh, can you divorce a son?

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 10:41:37 PM »
Ok I just finished reading the article, thanks Sue. I initially didnt pick the fish myself but I researched their care when they got here and up until I went away they were doing really well and thriving tbh. The next 7-14 days will tell I guess, I'm not giving up on them but I just feel really sad for the poor things, they seem to have lost their joy  :(

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Awww my Ottos are in crisis"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post March 16, 2016, 05:00:13 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2017, 06:45:10 AM
by mizuti

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: