Ammonia And Nitrite Spike In Shrimpery. SOLVED.

Author Topic: Ammonia and nitrite spike in shrimpery. SOLVED.  (Read 8592 times) 18 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Ammonia and nitrite spike in shrimpery. SOLVED.
« on: March 08, 2016, 09:54:36 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Got home from college tonight to find all the MTS trying to climb out the shrimpery. Of course I did a water test, ammonia had spiked to 1ppm and the nitrite was between 1-2ppm. Funnily enough the shrimps didnt look that bothered. However over a course of a couple of hours I did a 75% water change and the readings are now zero for both.

I was expecting to find dead shrimp in the tank but all the new ones I bought over the weekend are ok and I've counted about 10 smaller shrimp so nothing seems to have died.

I hope I've done the right thing changing the water that quickly. I have no idea why there was such a spike.

Although I've moved the shrimp and filter to a 50 litre tank, the filter should have been able to cope with the addition of 6 more shrimp, even if it ws a new tank or have I got that wrong?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Ammonia and nitrite spike in shrimpery.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 09:39:21 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
You say you moved the shrimps and filter to a new tank. Did you move anything else across, eg substrate, plants or decor?

There are a lot of bacteria on surfaces in a tank, so if all you moved was the filter into a tank that hadn't grown any bacteria on the surfaces yet, that could account for the spikes. The good news is that it doesn't take long for the bacteria to make up the numbers when you have mature media - they can double in numbers in a day or so. Just watch those stats, and do water changes, till they stabilise.

The fact that the shrimps are OK is good. And the early warning system is one of the uses of snails of all types.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 09:05:20 PM »
Planted stones and bog was moved over, as well as the rooted plants and a piece of slate I used as feeding station. The substrate is new, john innes 3 topped with black glass gravel and 2 pieces of black and white quartz as new.

HOWEVER and this is actually a biggie. I knew in the past I'd suffered a lot of shrimp deaths in a new set up so I googled it and researched it. From what I saw it was important to set up the bio-load fast in a new tank. So I bought and added beta-glucans power, Bacter AE powder and Mironekuton powder to the base of the tank before  added the substrate and glass gravel topper.

I haven't lost any shrimp which is a first but I have gas escaping from the substrate, it bubbles up and I've also been agitating the substrate since I noticed.

I might have to shift the shrimp but they seem to be eating and behaving normally, Im panicking because a fish would die in this tank soup.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 09:55:06 PM »
Hmm a lesson learned here. U-tube advice however sound and logical it seems needs serious consideration.

I've had to empty the tank of all the inhabitants. I have so much bacteria (even though its the type shrimp need) multiplying in the substrate, its reached a point where its forming gas pockets that are erupting to the surface. At first I thought I'd just missed a few air pockets when I added water to the tank prior to planting but its definitely down to the over use of Bacter AE

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 10:01:49 PM »
Hmm a lesson learned here. U-tube advice however sound and logical it seems needs serious consideration.

I've had to empty the tank of all the inhabitants. I have so much bacteria (even though its the type shrimp need) multiplying in the substrate, its reached a point where its forming gas pockets that are erupting to the surface. At first I thought I'd just missed a few air pockets when I added water to the tank prior to planting but its definitely down to the over use of Bacter AE

Good to hear that you've discovered the source of the problem and you can now try to rectify it. I'm wondering how you intend to get the bacteria numbers down...??  :o

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
Re: Ammonia and nitrite spike in shrimpery. SOLVED.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 10:03:32 PM »
Glad to hear that you've got to the bottom of the problem, at least you can resolve the issues now.
Hope the shrimp are doing well.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 10:45:58 PM »
I'm wondering how you intend to get the bacteria numbers down...??  :o

Strip the tank down and start again, rinsing it with boiling water to kill off the bacteria (hopefully). Bacter AE creates a bio-film, its different to filter bacteria

Littlefish, bizarrely all the shrimp are absolutely fine and doing well in the quarantine tank. I was going to strip the tank down tonight but I noticed very newborn shrimp in it, I took out about 20 babies tonight, I'll double check again tomorrow after college. I have no clue as to why they've survived so far. I'm waiting to see how they do over the next few days, however the adults are all actively feeding which is a good sign.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 10:49:20 PM »
Great news and congratulations on your baby shrimp.
 :)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 05:35:23 PM »
New set up complete, I'm going to leave the shrimp where they are for now.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 05:50:25 PM »
You've done well to get the tank stripped and turned around so quickly... Have you taken the opportunity to make some changes to your setup? Pics of your progress would be good to see

#picsoritdidnthappen

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 07:41:54 PM »
I stripped it down one day and then rebuilt it the next and I've completely changed the set up :) The only thing I need to add is the bogwood but I'll do that when I move the shrimp. As its a new filter with some mature media I'm running a mini cycle first. I'll see if I can upload some pics.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 09:52:39 PM »
New and improved shrimpery. The planted bogwood will sit behind the grass at the front right and I still need to add the black background. Hopefully once everything has bushed out it'll look better

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 10:00:22 PM »
Yay, we love pics! That setup is great, love the colours! What is the reddish/brown plant at back centre? It turns out I've got a bloody pot plant in my tank but I like a splash of colour in amongst the green.... And kudos on what you've done with the old media, good luck with your mini cycle!

:cheers: :fishy1:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 10:13:00 PM »
That's a lovely looking tank  :)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 10:22:32 PM »
Ta :) I'm quite pleased, it took a stupid mount of time in the shop to find the right shaped rocks!

Paddy its called alternanthera rosaefolia. I grew it in my 200l until it got covered in brown algae and started to look really messy. I'm not sure how well it will do in the shrimpery, watch this space I guess. There are quite a few coloured plants which do quite well, a lot of echinodorus have coloured and patterned leaves. I've also got red ludwigia plant in the right corner, that's pretty easy to grow. Many hygrophylias also have coloured leaves, I bought some the other month that was plain green until it reached the light at which point its top leaves turned red striped.

A lot of red plants need iron supplements to keep them red though

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 10:32:15 PM »
Thanks Fiona, great info  :cheers:

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 10:42:36 PM »
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php

Is a good place to hunt for the types of plants you need.

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 10:41:01 PM »
Love the tank Fiona, looks like all the hard work and rearranging has paid off.

I totally understand about the problems and indecision when choosing the rocks, it took me ages to decide on the right bit of bog wood.   :))

Anne

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 10:17:54 AM »
Thanks Anne  :)

II was sorely tempted to leave out bogwood and put another stone on the right hand side to balance the look but the shrimps really like it so ....

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Ammonia and nitrite spike in shrimpery. SOLVED."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
16 Replies
Last post March 07, 2014, 02:38:33 PM
by fishcake76
18 Replies
Last post July 10, 2014, 06:39:43 AM
by Annie
11 Replies
Last post July 17, 2014, 11:24:48 AM
by jesnon
2 Replies
Last post August 11, 2014, 07:18:06 PM
by evan47
11 Replies
Last post May 24, 2016, 03:04:41 PM
by Cora
8 Replies
Last post October 22, 2016, 08:34:56 AM
by Littlefish
7 Replies
Last post December 11, 2016, 11:21:40 AM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: