Ammonia And Nitrite In Tank

Author Topic: Ammonia and Nitrite in tank  (Read 5413 times) 11 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Ammonia and Nitrite in tank
« on: July 12, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have a horrible feeling I might have been over feeding my fish as I just did a water test and its showing ammonia between 0 and .25ppm and nitrite of .25 ppm although the nitrates are pretty stable.

Will a water change and a gravel clean solve the problem?

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
Re: Ammonia and Nitrite in tank
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 01:48:12 PM »
This isn't too unusual when you change anything in your tank. You have just added a fair-few fish, the filter needs time to catch-up; Until then it goes into a mini cycle. When the bacteria readjust to the altered  bioload, your readings should return to normal. Until then, proceed as if you were doing a fish-in cycle. To summarise, greatly, if ammonia and/or nitrite rise above 0.25 ppm do a large enough water change to bring them down below these values. In a few days, everything should be back to normal.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 02:12:37 PM »
And feeding a bit less will help too.

As a very rough guide, you should be feeding the amount of food equal to one eye per fish. I know that's impossible to work out  ;D If that's the amount you are already feeding, cut down till the mini cycle is over then build back up.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 08:47:28 PM »
We lost 1 more of the glass fish late last night and another is gasping its last in the bottom of the tank, ammonia between 0 and .25ppm and nitrate .25ppm nitrate between 40-80 ppm. I've done a 50% water change and I'm going to hold off feeding them today and tomorrow, apart from the ottos who will have their algae stones to chomp on.

This is becoming very distressing :(

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 10:08:24 PM »
Just noticed that one of my little Ottos has damage on one of its side fins.

There is a particularly aggressive Indian Glass cat in the tank, its a small male and apart from the hideous dye he looks very healthy. I've just realised all the glass fish that have died have been males, there's 2 males and 1 female left.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 09:56:38 AM »
Given what the glass cats have been through, it is unlikely to be anything you are doing. Put it down to experience, albeit expensive experience  :(

You wouldn't know if that oto always looked like that? It is possible it's been damaged in transit; some shop workers have been known to squash fish or drop them on the floor while netting them. Keep an eye on it. Lots of fresh water is usually all that's needed - though that does mean plenty of water changes.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 12:27:05 PM »
I seem to be doing a water change once a day atm, hohum

Offline ColinB

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 08:10:36 AM »
I seem to be doing a water change once a day atm, hohum

eeee lass, when I were a lad I were doin' three a day at times. You tell kids that these days an' they wouldn't believe you! :))

We've all been there. It gets a lot easier...... soon!

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 08:23:39 PM »
hehehehe yeah lets hope so :)

I bought myself a better filter yesterday a fluval U2 110l and thats in the tank as well as the old one atm, minus its carbon pads because of the fungal treatment and I'll run both until the new one has got itself organised bacteria wise.

I'm posting another question here as I'm sure its probably water quality related, I hope you guys dont mind me bashing your brains, I really do appreciate the help :)

I seem to have a grey/white fluffy algae growing on my dwarf grass and on the java moss I'm trying to grow. Any ideas? I have googled it but couldnt find anything like it

Offline IainA

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 08:47:41 PM »
Hi Fiona, this is...

"I seem to have a grey/white fluffy algae growing on my dwarf grass and on the java moss I'm trying to grow. Any ideas? I have googled it but couldnt find anything like it"

...an excellent question, perhaps you will get a better response if you post it as a new question.

Hope this helps

Iain

Boeseman's Rainbowfish (3) - Neon Tetra (11) - Scissor-Tail (7) - Rainbow Shark (1) - Celebes Rainbow (1) - Giant Danio (2) - Black Molly (1) - Bulldog Catfish (1) - Panda Cory (5) - Rummy Nose Tetra (6) -

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 10:39:24 AM »
An update to this thread, I'm pleased to say the filter bacteria has finally managed to catch up and ammonia and nitrites are both 0 and my nitrate has dropped to 20-40. WOOT!!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 11:24:48 AM »
An update to this thread, I'm pleased to say the filter bacteria has finally managed to catch up and ammonia and nitrites are both 0 and my nitrate has dropped to 20-40. WOOT!!

great news!! :cheers:

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Ammonia and Nitrite in tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
16 Replies
Last post March 07, 2014, 02:38:33 PM
by fishcake76
18 Replies
Last post July 10, 2014, 06:39:43 AM
by Annie
18 Replies
Last post March 16, 2016, 10:17:54 AM
by Fiona
11 Replies
Last post May 24, 2016, 03:04:41 PM
by Cora
7 Replies
Last post December 11, 2016, 11:21:40 AM
by fcmf
9 Replies
Last post September 09, 2017, 10:30:03 AM
by Sue
21 Replies
Last post December 04, 2018, 07:55:47 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: