Amano Shrimp Acting Odd

Author Topic: Amano Shrimp acting odd  (Read 6249 times) 15 replies

Offline Flaree123

• Fishy Contributor
  • Betta Betta Betta!!
Amano Shrimp acting odd
« on: July 23, 2014, 08:53:05 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Just bought 2 Amano Shrimp 5 hours ago, and about 2 hours ago the larger one started swimming to the top of the tank and sinking as though it was dead and repeating the process, this happened before with my neon tetra and it died, but I put that down to swim bladder, so what could be up with my new members

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
Re: Amano Shrimp acting odd
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:26:28 PM »
could you provide a bit more information 

do you have a water test kit  if so what do the results show for ammonia nitrite and nitrate ,
what is the tank temp at and what alse is currently in the tank.

Offline Flaree123

• Fishy Contributor
  • Betta Betta Betta!!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 11:48:06 PM »
I Don't have a test at the moment, but i'll sort one out tomorrow, I assumed it was fine as my other fish; Betta, Tetra and Shadow catfish were fine, the temp is about 26/27 degrees

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 07:41:40 AM »
shrimp are alot more sensitive to ammonia etc that the fish and generally if there is something wrong there the first to show symptoms.i have a healthy colony of 8 in my tank now for about 3 months 26/27 is ok for them althow its at the top end of the scale so it is possible that they may of came from a much colder tank and found your tank a shock.mine tend to start to get a little upset when things get to warm (when treating a case of white spot at 30 degrees they even moved out of the tank and into the external filter ).
how are the shrimp this morning.

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 09:29:20 AM »
I Don't have a test at the moment, but i'll sort one out tomorrow, I assumed it was fine as my other fish; Betta, Tetra and Shadow catfish were fine, the temp is about 26/27 degrees

Why so warm? The betta and the Shadow Catfish would be happier cooler, and my Lemon and Neon Tetras are happy with 22ºC. There is a very good article on Amano Shrimp here. This is an extract: It is not uncommon for the Amano Shrimp to die shortly after introduction to the aquarium. Virtually all Amano Shrimp are wild caught and are not used to captive conditions. Also, a lack of feeding can cause death as well. Most first timers keeping these shrimp think that they are solely algae eaters and can live off of the tank and require no food. You must feed this shrimp.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Flaree123

• Fishy Contributor
  • Betta Betta Betta!!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 02:57:52 PM »
Yeah I did read up on their sensitivity, but i'd been thinking all is well in the tank :p, going off for my test soon, they appear fine this morning actually, haven't actually managed to find the smaller of the 2 so im a bit worried about him and I think you both may be right about the temperature, when they were acting fine they kept trying to climb the filter till they were half out the tank :/, the only problem is is that my water heater has been on 24 degrees but i cant turn the dial down to 22 so I may even need to buy a new one if the shrimp cant handle it

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 03:16:37 PM »
The odd uk summer being so warm ( assuming your in the uk ) could be having a affect on your tank to raiseing the temp i am currently fighting the heat battle with my heaters turned right down the tank still is getting far to warm so i am currently fighting a never ending battle with frozen water bottles which led to the frozen veg being sacraficed from the freezer to make room  :raspberries who needs healthy eating  ::)

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 03:31:23 PM »
You should try living in the northeast of Scotland Chris213. The weather here is beautiful and sunny, but not too hot. Of course, the rest of the time it's cold, damp and mirky, so I'm not being too smug!  ;D

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 03:36:43 PM »
Meant to add that I do hope your shrimp and heater problems settle soon Flaree123. You're in the right place for advice at least. I'm a newbie myself and, though I do fancy trying shrimp in my tank at some point, I'm a bit nervous of getting them. Will watch your story with interest :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 04:43:25 PM »
Why so warm? The betta ........... would be happier cooler

Betta's do need warmer water than most fish. 26 to 30oC is the recommended temp for them. But yes, all the other fish need it cooler, weather permitting.

Offline Flaree123

• Fishy Contributor
  • Betta Betta Betta!!
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
Yeah i'm the oddly boiling hot uk :p, i did think it was down to that, why cant it be horrible and cold like normal, might give that a go though see if it makes it more comfortable for my new residents :3

ColinB, the tank i bought it from was the same temp so he is fine with it like that and my others don't show any signs of being uncomfortable with the heat :)
Wasn't able to even get a ph test kit today as my shop has shut down the whole aquarium area :(
Just hope my little shrimpy shows up soon :(, the bigger guy seems to be fine now, no more sinking he is just wandering about munching on all the tid bits he can find :) thanks for all your help, will keep you informed :)   

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 05:41:09 PM »
its not uncommon for shrimp to hide away when first added and even then they can be tricky to find i rarely see all 8 of mine at the same time last time i counted all 8 was a week ago but i do have a tank with a lot of hidey holes for them but i can always find a few around especialy at feeding time they love to try and steel the pellets from the fish ( normaly with a cheeky little grin ).As soon as this heat  wave passes i cant wait to add to my little colony.

The api liquid master test is a good one to buy and online from ebay/amazon will normally give the best price
that will allow you to test for ph , high ph ammonia nitrite and nitrate.

Offline Flaree123

• Fishy Contributor
  • Betta Betta Betta!!
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 06:37:52 PM »
When they first got in the tank they were shooting about all over the place, was great to watch :p and now the big one just sits about xD

So I rummaged about in the tank a bit as i was very concerned and i found him dead :( poor bubba, i hope the other one will be fine now though

Yeah i'll have a looky and get on of those, thanks :)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 08:23:31 AM »
Why so warm? The betta ........... would be happier cooler
Betta's do need warmer water than most fish. 26 to 30oC is the recommended temp for them. But yes, all the other fish need it cooler, weather permitting.

Seriously Fish quotes 22-30ºC and ThinkFish quotes 24-30ºC for Bettas. However; I've never kept them.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 02:12:43 PM »
I got my figure from a betta expert on another forum  ;)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 03:11:01 PM »
*gasp* I'm telling! ;)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Amano Shrimp acting odd"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2015, 09:29:09 PM
by Dominika
2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2015, 01:50:05 PM
by Sanjo
4 Replies
Last post October 19, 2015, 09:41:03 PM
by Dominika
4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2016, 12:46:38 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post May 14, 2017, 07:33:15 AM
by Matt
22 Replies
Last post April 16, 2018, 10:59:47 AM
by daveyng
4 Replies
Last post October 02, 2018, 04:58:48 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: