Am I Giving Up To Soon?

Author Topic: Am I giving up to soon?  (Read 3531 times) 7 replies

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Am I giving up to soon?
« on: November 27, 2014, 02:17:52 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,

I have decided to sell my tanks and fish as I just don't have the health, money and know how to keep fish.

Stanley has lost more of his tail and is really depressed. His tank is covered in white stuff, bacterial bloom, if that's what it is.

I don't want to make a rash decision but i've had enough of the worry and the constant feeling that I don't know what I'm doing! And it's the poor fish that suffer.

I'm really depressed.

Where is the best place to sell whole set ups, so you know they are going to people who know what they are doing??

FC76

:'( :'( :(

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
Re: Am I giving up to soon?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 02:48:27 PM »
Hi Fishcake,
Sorry to hear about your ill health and constant worry about your fish. Fishkeeping should bring you joy not depression, so if you aren't enjoying being an aquarist then maybe it is time to call it a day.

That being said, I'm sure you have all the tools and ability to adequately look after fish. It may be too late for Stanley, but you might want to consider keeping hardier fish. Although Bettas are beautiful fish, they must be pretty weakened after so many years of industrial breeding. Unfortunately many of the most popular (and attractive) fish are.

The tank is a bit too small for more hardy species, however have you thought about keeping shrimp in the tank instead? You could make a beautiful planted tank relatively cheaply and many shrimp are very easy to maintain. I have some beautiful Red Cherry Shrimp and while they are very sensitive to chlorine and copper, provided you avoid these chemicals you'll probably be fine. If you get an established colony set up you could even make some cash selling the babies!

I have no idea about where to sell the tank. I got mine on ebay and Gumtree always has many for sale. Unfortunately, unless you know the purchaser you really have no way of knowing how good a fishkeeper they are.

I hope your fortunes pick up soon!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • a clean looking tank is not always a safe tank
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 02:53:18 PM »
i feel like giving up all the time but if you did give up
you would be at a lose end and also your stress would rise
i am also in ill health and in 43 years have threatened to give
up loads of time the last time was yesterday lol yeah yesterday
we all have our up and downs .how long have you been keeping
you have to give it five years look at me i started when i was about seven
there about it was in the early 70s stick in read as much as you can on fish keeping
dont be afraid to ask questions i am old school but i keep borrowing bits from the new school
of thinking go and find a fish keeping book from the early 70s and read that might put your
mind at rest its a lot easier to keep fish today than it was back then i tell you lol dont give
up you will not know what to do with yourself i keep fish i paint watercolors in fact i sit paint
and watch my fish where i have my painters desk i have a roma 125 and the neon's in there
are some that amanda rescued and i tell you the color of them now is amazing that is one of the
reasons i can give this hobby up beside that i am a fishkeepingholic there i have admitted it  :rotfl:
dont give up

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 03:12:23 PM »
Oh fishcake, i am so sorry to hear your fishkeeping experiencs has not been a happy one  :'( i must admit as a newbie and a born worrier, i am concerned i may have taken on more that i can cope with, and that's without the health probs you've had. I have started small with platies and now hoping to add some, minnows, not outstanding fish, but tough little guys that are a bit more forgiving of an amature. I wish you well with whatever you decide, and hey, if that nagging feelin gets the better of you, you can always try again at a later date. Take care  :wave:

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »
Hi Fishcake,

It's a real shame to hear that your fish-keeping experience has brought you so much anxiety and stress, especially with your health being not as good as you'd like it to be.

I think that whatever you decide to do, you shouldn't beat yourself up too much about things that have gone wrong. I'm sure that there are thousands of people who buy pets of all sorts without having the slightest intention of ever trying to keep them happy and well, and you definately don't fall into that category!!

I wish I could take your fish myself, but I'm right up in the northeast of Scotland, so that would be impossible. Two suggestions spring to  mind about rehoming your fish, if that's what you definately decide to do:

1. Find if you have a local aquarist society – get the main contact's details and ask him/her for help re: rehoming (or, if they were happy to do so, and you felt you wanted to try, helping you get over your tank/fish issues). They may be able to put the word out to knowledgeable people who could step in.

2.  Try Gumtree, that way you could ask the relevant questions about experience if anyone responds to your ad.

If your fish and tanks are making you miserable, then giving up for now and trying again, perhaps, at a later date
is not such a bad (or permanent) option. No doubt when you come back to the hobby we'll all still be here moaning, fretting and talking about poo!  :)

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 05:57:13 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear this FC   :( Do whatever you think is best, I know when I lost Mr Betta I was considering pulling the plug too but I'm so glad I stuck with it. I hope you too decide to stick with it but do look after yourself too

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 06:57:48 PM »
I don't know if your on Facebook fishcake, i am and i typed in Grimsby aquatics and came up with not only local shops, but groups of people (mad, bad, sad and some good) who buy ans sell in my area, it's worth a look. Hope your stress free for Christmas  :)

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 09:06:40 PM »
FC

I think that this would be a 'not so good' thing to do. Perhaps accept the loss and roll with it. Everyday for you and me can be extra hard work, but it is also extra hard for many others on here too, and they don't have our energy problems!

I've learned tons through being on here, and it has led me to learn more elsewhere too. How about making life as simple as possible, turn a tank in to a little plant palace? You could put a few extra small fish in too. I really love th elittle fish like Embers etc. Just a few, easy maintenance, a few hardy plants, a bit of a water change etc etc.

I'll PM you in a moment.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Am I giving up to soon?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post October 20, 2013, 09:07:24 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post December 01, 2013, 12:43:09 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 05:24:14 PM
by deano79

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: