All My Fish Just Died

Author Topic: All my fish just died  (Read 5595 times) 13 replies

Offline Wulfy

• Fishy Contributor
All my fish just died
« on: July 20, 2014, 08:23:12 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Everything was fine yesterday morning and then in the afternoon I noticed a few of my neon tetras were dead.  By the time I got up this morning all the adult fish are dead and just a few platy fry are still alive and they are very lethargic.  It is Sunday morning so there is no where open I can go to for help.
60L tank with some live plants
4 platy with some very small fry
5 golden zebra danio
3 peppered corydora
10 neon tetra
2 bristlenose

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Penguin Tetra (6) - Glowlight Tetra (6) - Cardinal Tetra (6) - Cherry Barb (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: All my fish just died
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 10:59:12 AM »
I'm sorry to hear this.

I need to ask you a lot of questions, I'm afraid.

How long has the tank been running? If it is new, did you cycle the filter before getting any fish?
Have you bought any new fish in the last couple of weeks?
Have you sprayed anything in the same room as the tank, done any decorating, used any air fresheners, or anything like that?
How often, and how big were your water changes?
Do you know the pH of the tank water just before or after the fish had died? If you haven't emptied the tank yet, test the pH or take a sample now ready to take to a shop when they open for them to test it.
Do you know how hard your water is? Does your kettle/shower head fur up - that's hard water if they do. Or look on your water supplier's website.
Do you know your KH? KH is a type of hardness that buffers the water against pH changes. It is not the same as the hardness that furs up the kettle, but they tend to be low or high together. If you have soft water you are likely to have low KH.

If the tank was new and you didn't do a fishless cycle, they could have died from ammonia poisoning. Neons are the most susceptible of your fish, and when they died their bodies would have decomposed to make even more ammonia.

If you have bought new fish, they could have brought in a disease. There are some that could have wiped out a whole tank that fast.

If you have used air fresheners etc, they can get into the water and poison the fish.

The community creator puts you at 175% stocked (though I did have to substitute 5 smaller panda cories as peppered cories aren't in the database). This amount of fish makes a lot of waste, especially the two bristlenoses. Lots of waste means lots of ammonia which the filter turns into huge amounts of nitrate.
Around 12 years ago, I got up one morning to find every fish in the tank dead. I had no idea what happened back than as we didn't have internet access. But with hindsight, I think I know now what happened. I will explain what I suspect happened to my tank, see if it fits with yours.
I have softish water that has a low KH. My tank was overstocked so lots of nitrate, which is acidic and pushes the pH down. I didn't do big enough or often enough water changes which allowed the nitrate to build up and my low KH to get used up. I didn't have a test kit so this is my best guess - the pH dropped very low very quickly and that killed my fish.

What to do.

If the tank was new, empty the water, refill and do a fishless cycle before getting any more fish.

If it was a disease brought in by new fish, you will need to remove every trace of it before restocking the tank. Unfortunately that means sterilising the tank with bleach, then re-cycling the filter. I do know that is not a pleasant prospect; it is what I had to do when my betta got lymphocystis. It was 6 weeks before I could get another betta.

If it was something in the air, you need to empty all the water and refill the tank. The filter bacteria should be unaffected but it is worth getting a bottle of ammonia solution and adding some to check the filter can process it before getting more fish - and stop spraying, using air fresheners, whatever it was. Use the fishless cycling method for the amount of ammonia to use.

That leaves possibility number 4.
The first thing to do is test the tank water's pH to see if it has dropped very low. A shop will be able to test this if you don't have your own tester. Take a sample from the tank now ready to test when the shops open. And you need to know your KH - again a shop will test for you but for this take a sample of tap water as you need to know how much buffering capacity your tap water has. And it's KH you need to know not GH so make that clear to the shop.
If it does turn out that you have low KH in your tapwater and your tank's pH did drop very low, you can restock the tank, with precautions to avoid this happening again. First, change all the water. That will reset your KH and pH back to tapwater levels. Then you can get more fish fairly quickly before the filter bacteria go dormant though lack of food. But this time don't get as many fish! Use the community creator on this site so you know when the tank is full. Click on fish profiles in the menu at the top, click on any fish then scroll down to the bottom of the page. Just enter the tank details and add fish from the profiles. If you want to save your tank, you do have to register and log in separately from the forum.
I would not get more bristlenoses for this tank as it isn't really big enough and they do produce a huge amount of waste for their size. And if you want cories, choose 6 of one of the dwarf species. The most common one in shops is pygmy cories but that isn't in the fish profiles. Use salt & pepper cories (which aren't the same as your peppered cories) in the CC.

Sorry for the essay, but I do know what it is like to lose a whole tank of fish. See which of the possibilities is the most likely for you - and any others that other members can think of.

Offline Wulfy

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 11:57:24 AM »
Hi, thanks for your detailed reply.  I have just got back from the pet shop in the next town.  They said the ammonia was high in my water but not exceptionally.  I did do a 20% change yesterday after the first deaths so it may have been higher then.  The last fry was dead when I got home so I am now going to empty and either scrub or throw away everything and start again.

I have had the tank about 4 months so it was cycled and I have been building up the stock gradually but I think I overdid it.  I was using the calculator on this site but not all my fish were on it and I think the addition of the fry has pushed it over the top. 

The peppered corys were about 5cm long (and my favourites :() they may have been salt and pepper actually, the fish shop called them checkerboard but I havent seen that name anywhere else. 

I had already swapped the male platys for females to stop the breeding but they were already pregnant, these were the last new fish about 3 weeks ago.

I was using test strips and the NO2 and NO3 was always low but they don't test ammonia.  I have now bought a liquid testing kit.  I live on the chalky white cliffs of Dover so water is very hard and PH is very high but it has always been and there was no change. 

Can you advise should I chuck out the ornaments and gravel or just wash thoroughly?  What about the filter, should I minimise risk of disease by just starting again?

Penguin Tetra (6) - Glowlight Tetra (6) - Cardinal Tetra (6) - Cherry Barb (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Wulfy

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 12:44:42 PM »
Can I use just standard household bleach, I have parazone citrus, or do I need to go buy something different?

Offline Richard W

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 01:00:24 PM »
Not sure how good your pet shop is for giving advice, they're often bad. To say that the ammonia was high, but not exceptionally, is strange as ammonia should be essentially zero. Any measurable level is a danger sign.
I was wondering if you have done anything with your filter recently, or alternatively not done anything. Your filter needs regular but careful, cleaning using tank water, not tap water and not being too enthusiastic. If you have left it for too long, or cleaned it in tap water or replaced the sponge, then that could cause a dangerous spike in ammonia. I very much doubt if a disease could wipe out all of the fish that suddenly and quickly, it sounds much more like a chemical problem to me, especially as the tank was rather overstocked.

Offline Wulfy

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 01:12:40 PM »
They did say that the ammonia was high and that is probably what killed the fish.  I probably didn't explain too well, they did just say that they had seen higher levels in samples.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 01:13:52 PM »
Sorry to hear about this. Have you tested the water with your new test kit, or have you emptied everything already? If not it might be useful to post test results in here. That way people can help you work out what happened and how much you have to do to get things up and running again. (See Sue's scenarios above)

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 01:16:39 PM »
Sorry you posted at same time as me.
Looks like you have your answer and people with more experience than me will be able to help you...

Offline Richard W

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 01:18:52 PM »
Assuming it was the ammonia that killed the fish, highly probable, then sterilising your tank with bleach will be a waste of time. You need to start again, using the ammonia method to be sure the tank is properly cycled (someone here will tell you how to do this, if you don't know) then restock at a lower level and make sure you follow the correct routine for cleaning your filter.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 02:44:07 PM »
I agree. The only time sterilising a tank is necessary is if the fish died of some disease. I had to sterilise my betta's tank as lymphocystis is a contagious viral disease and I couldn't risk there being any trace of it left.

Three weeks is too long for one of those diseases that spreads fast and can wipe out a tank. It would have happened within a week in this scenario. This rules out option2.

Your water type does rule out option 4, ie low KH and a pH crash.

That leaves airborne contaminant (option 3) but you haven't mentioned anything along those lines; and option 1.

I'm going to assume you don't know about cycling, please ignore all this if you do know.
Fish make ammonia as part of their waste. Ammonia burns the fish's skin and gills making it hard to breathe. In a cycled tank, a colony of bacteria livesin the filter which uses ammonia as food, and they turn it into nitrite. Nitrite is also toxic as it binds to the fish's blood so it can't carry enough oxygen. A cycled filter contains a second bacteria colony which uses nitrite as food and turns it into nitrate, which is much less toxic than the other two. In most tanks, there are no bacteria that eat nitrate, and we remove it by doing water changes.

Unless you do a fishless cycle before getting fish, when you first put fish in the tank there are no bacteria to eat the ammonia made by the fish. You have to monitor the level and do water changes to keep it low until enough bacteria have grown. Once the ammonia eaters start to grow, they make nitrite and you have to do water changes to keep that low as well. Keeping the levels low does not stop the bacteria growing; as long as there is a trace more than the current numbers can eat, they will  multiply.
There is an added problem for you. Ammonia exists in two forms, ammonia and ammonium. There is always some of both in a tank but it is the ammonia form which is the toxic one. The amount in each form is pH dependent. The higher the pH the more ammonia, so with your pH you will have a higher proportion of the toxic form than someone with low pH. It is more important for you to keep your ammonia level low.

Since you didn't have an ammonia tester, it is possible that you had quite high levels when you first got fish. This does affect the fish, even if they don't die. It shortens their lives and makes them more prone to infections. Neon tetras are fish that don't do well in tanks less than six months old. It is thought they need some micro-organisms in the water to do well, and they commonly just die for no apparent reason in tanks too young to have grown all these micro-organisms. And your hard water and high pH would have put extra stress on them as they prefer soft acidic water.
I suspect you had some ammonia in the tank to start with, then the neons died and would have made even more as they started to decompose. The fact that you did a 20% water change and still had ammonia means that it was indeed likely to have been higher before the water change.
Re your shop's comments, it is always best to get them to write down the actual readings. Them saying things like 'fine' or a 'bit high' is just their interpretation. The only 'fine' reading is zero!

You will already have some bacteria in your filter, quite possibly enough for a smaller number of fish. The simplest thing to do is get some ammonia solution. I think Homebase still sells it, in their cleaning section. Failing that, Ebay or Amazon. Read the desciption carefully as you don't want any other chemicals in there. Then follow these instructions. If you do have a lot of bacteria there, you will get zero ammonia and nitrite 24 hours after adding a dose of ammonia. This means the filter has enough bacteria for a suitable number of fish. If either/both are not zero after 24 hours, just carry on with the instructions until they are.

The cories wouldn't have been salt & pepper as they only grow to 3cm at adult size, yours were already bigger than that. I'm afraid I have no idea which species they were, google doesn't come up with any results. It could well be a common name the shop or their wholesaler made up. And salt & pepper cories (Corydoras habrosus) are not very common. I'm trying to get some but I haven't yet found a shop that has any  :-\
Platy females usually arrive in your tank pregnant. They can store sperm, so if they've ever been in a tank with a male for longer than about 10 seconds, they will be able to have fry for about six months.

When using the Community Creator I try to substitute a similar fish, adjusting the numbers if the substitute is bigger or smaller. When I entered your fish I used the smaller panda cories but 5 of them instead of 3. Your gold zebra danios are a colour morph of regular zebra danios, so that's what should be entered in the CC.

Another long essay (sorry   ;D ) but there is something I do need to check. Have you done anything to your filter?
A lot of manufacturer's instructions say to change the media every so-many weeks. If you do this, you throw away the majority of your bacteria. Have you been doing this? Have you washed the filter media, and if so what in? Plain tapwater contains chlorine or chloramine which is there to kill bacteria in drinking water and will also kill your filter bacteria. Media should be washed in old tank water taken out during a water change.

Offline Wulfy

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 02:54:58 PM »
I am allergic to most sprays myself so there is very little of that around my home so it must be the ammonia levels.  The careful language by the shop assistants may have been because I may have looked a bit like I was about to start crying.

I have a Marina filter that came with the tank which takes cartridges.  I later checked the internet and saw that opinion isn't very high for these.  After a thorough cleaning I have just put my tank back together and the filter pump isn't working (definitely was before), I did drop it on the kitchen floor.  Probably a good time to just buy a new filter and start again from scratch.  Any recommendations?

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 03:03:30 PM »
I have a personal preference for Eheim filters, but they are not cheap  :-\

For 60 litres, look at Eheim Aquaball 130 (type 2104). I know the 60 model is rated for up to 60 litre tanks, but I prefer to use filters rated for slightly bigger tanks and the 130 is only a few pounds more. They do have a flow adjuster. Fluval is another good make.

Offline Wulfy

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 03:07:08 PM »
Just found the missing part on the kitchen floor, working again.  The instructions say change the cartridges every 2 weeks but I have been ignoring that and just rinsing them out and then changing one of the three cartridges about every month.

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 04:43:45 PM »
Would this be a marina s (number) filter? We've recently had someone else with a Marina tank and this filter. The cartridges are either biocarb or bioclear according to the manual for their filter. The biocarb ones contain a biological medium plus carbon. Carbon gets full quickly, that's why they tell you to change those. But you don't actually need carbon, it's a hangover from decades ago. The bioclear cartridges contain a biological medium and zeolite - and zeolite's sole use is to remove ammonia. Until it gets full when it stops. Because it removes ammonia, the ammonia eating bacteria don't grow well and when the cartridge stops removing ammonia there won't be enough bacteria so ammonia builds up.
In my opinion, the best thing to do is stop using bioclear cartridges (the zeolite ones) and add sponge to the filter instead. Any make filter sponge will do, just cut it up to make it fit. Then just wash the sponge, don't change it.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "All my fish just died"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
Fat Fish

Started by Chucklett « 1 2 » Fish Health

34 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 06:56:08 PM
by Chucklett
3 Replies
Last post July 11, 2013, 07:09:56 PM
by hobo
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
12 Replies
Last post June 24, 2015, 03:16:23 PM
by fruitbat
2 Replies
Last post June 17, 2015, 01:28:37 PM
by Fiona
3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2019, 04:17:48 PM
by dwindstr

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: