Review Of Seneye Home.

Author Topic: Review of seneye home.  (Read 6980 times) 1 replies

Offline Dominika

• Fishy Member
Review of seneye home.
« on: October 20, 2015, 11:18:03 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Please note it’s been a few months since I used seneye so some of this may or may not be outdated.

The seneye device offers constant monitoring of water parameters in your tank. It measures ammonia level, temperature and pH. It also indicates whether the light is on and if the water level has dropped (leak alert). You can see all the results as graphs online.

To not make it very wordy here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
•   Constant monitoring of water parameters.

•   You can set up acceptable range of any parameter and the device will send you a text and/or email if the parameter gets out of range (for example, you set temperature to 24-26 and if it goes below 24 you will get a text).

•   The device warns you if it sees a dangerous tendency, for example the ammonia rising quickly so you can react before it becomes a problem.

•   You can check all the test results online on a PC, laptop, smartphone or tablet which is handy when you’re away.

•   All results are presented as graphs so you see the tendencies etc.

•   It’s hard to determine how accurate the readings were since they’re much more detailed than my liquid tests but they seemed fit for purpose at the very least.

Cons:
•   The device is relatively big, especially if you have a small tank, and has to be stuck to the front glass or some of its functions won’t work properly.

•   It has to be constantly connected to your PC and your PC powered up for the text/email alerts to work.

•   Your tank needs to be close to your PC (USB cable limitations).

•   Instead of connecting it to your PC you can get a wifi hub, but these are about three times as expensive as the original device.

•   You need to keep buying slides, the device is programmed to flash red light at you from inside of your tank if you don’t change the slide after 30 days, which is really, really annoying and cannot be turned off. Interestingly enough, the tests work for a bit more than 30 days.

•   If you have any kind of non-standard UK date and time setting in your operating system the device will not register and will not work until you change those settings permanently.

•   The seneye software, which you need to keep running on your PC all the time, is very unstable and it kept crashing at least once a day for me. When that happened Windows would interrupt any software I was currently running with a message that seneye crashed and it needs to restart. That sometimes crashed whatever app I was running at the time.

•   Your results page is really hidden on the seneye website, also if you click on "login" instead of "seneye.me" you’ll have to log into the system twice.

•   In my experience, some parameter ranges refused to be adjusted and just stuck on the factory settings.

•   Changing language on the results page on the seneye website doesn’t work properly. Some areas on the page will display your chosen language, some areas will show whatever language your operating system originated from (no matter what language it’s actually set to, really weird).

•   At some point I realised that my device has a built-in LUX, Kelvin and PAR light meter which has been disabled. The software blocks the light meter that’s already a part of seneye home. You can buy an upgrade which means that the company will simply flip a switch somewhere on my account to turn it back on. Seneye can’t possibly justify asking for more money from me to unblock a part of the device that I already own.

After the first slide ran out I didn’t buy any more. I like the idea behind seneye but I hope there will be a better, more consumer friendly device available on the market at some point.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: Review of seneye home.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 11:41:53 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Thank you for your detailed review. I was initially interested in this device but the point you raised below was enough to put me off.

•   You need to keep buying slides, the device is programmed to flash red light at you from inside of your tank if you don’t change the slide after 30 days, which is really, really annoying and cannot be turned off. Interestingly enough, the tests work for a bit more than 30 days.

If they produced a version where you didn't need to replace the slides every 30 days, perhaps twice a year, then I might look again.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Review of seneye home."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post March 23, 2014, 02:04:59 PM
by ABOS
5 Replies
Last post April 26, 2015, 09:06:38 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2015, 07:44:10 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2018, 11:31:37 AM
by TopCookie
2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2017, 09:13:11 AM
by Robert
18 Replies
Last post January 04, 2018, 12:01:14 AM
by Helen
22 Replies
Last post January 08, 2019, 12:29:41 AM
by Helen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: