Recommendations For A New Air Pump For My Fishtank

Author Topic: Recommendations for a new air pump for my fishtank  (Read 7200 times) 9 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Recommendations for a new air pump for my fishtank
« on: February 04, 2015, 11:01:15 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I need to buy another air pump preferably one with 2 outlets so I can use one in a tank and the other aerating a bucket of water to remove the chlorine.

Can anybody recommend one please, preferably a quiet pump. Thankee

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
Re: Recommendations for a new air pump.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 02:43:36 PM »
I can't help you with the pump, except to point out that quiet ones seem to be hard to find.  However, you don't need to worry about multiple outputs. You can get something like this to provide as many airlines as you desire from any pump.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 03:33:45 PM »
Hi everyone, sorry to butt in on this thread Fiona, but do you mean that an air pump in a bucket of water would remove all the harmful stuff that is usually removed by adding water treatments. I use Tetra Aquasafe. Would an air pump mean that I could stop using this and how long does the air pump have to be in the bucket to remove all the harmful chemicals? ???

Offline SteveS

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 05:28:00 PM »
Sadly, it doesn't work like that.  Chlorine is dissolved in the water from your tap, just as oxygen and carbon dioxide may be. Putting an airline in the bucket agitates the surface and promotes gas exchange at the surface; Oxygen goes from air to water and carbon dioxide and chlorine go from water to air. So it will dechlorinate your water. However, the water treatments that you add also do things with heavy metal ions like lead and copper that are also dissolved in the water. It's called chelating and I don't have a clue how it works; It would take a chemist, like Sue, to explain it better.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 05:53:55 PM »
Aah well, I knew that was too good to be true Steve! Never mind, I'll keep going with the Aquasafe – never was much of a scientist anyway. Thanks for the explanation though.  :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 08:11:46 PM »
And air pumps don't get rid of chloramine for those regions where the water company uses that.

The dechlorinator I use contains the sodium salt of EDTA (ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid) which is indeed a chelating agent. This was my husband's area of work more than mine; some chemicals are very good at reacting with metal ions to form complex which effectively removes metal ions from the water where they can harm the fish. Or more usually, invertebrates. Shrimps, snails and things like corals and anemones in salt water tanks are susceptible to metal ions such as copper.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 07:44:18 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
i have found the eheim range of air pumps to be some of the most quiet i have come across althow maybe a little pricey there certainly good value for there money and there 200 and 400 range both have dual outputs.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 07:20:12 PM »
I already have a splitter Steve and it works ok if both airstones are roughly the same level but I've found it useless if one is going in water at a much lower level, the higher airstone hogs all the air..unless I'm doing it wrong.

I use aerated dechlorinated water without water conditioners in Franks tank then I can shift the nerites I have in there when I want to use meds in another tank. Assassin snails have proved to be impervious to the effects of eSHa2000 thankfully as I don't want them in the other tanks.

I checked my water supplier and they use chlorine, after 12hrs of vigorous aeration the chlorine disperses, it's faster than waiting for it to go naturally which takes roughly 3 days, hence Pets at Home advice to leave tanks running empty for 3 days before adding fish.

I shall continue the quest for a cheap quite pump, I already have an Interpet Airolution AV2 but it was quite expensive. Thanks for the input guys and gals :)

Offline SteveS

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 05:11:54 PM »
If you have the sort of splitter that has a built-in valve, you should be able to "tune" them. Closing the valve slightly to the tube that goes to the higher level stone should force more air to the lower stone. The more you close the valve, the more air goes to the lower stone.

If you don't have this sort of splitter, you could try a clip of some kind on the tube to constrict the air supply.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 11:58:19 AM »
Ahhh okey dokey, I'll get another splitter then and have a fiddle

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Recommendations for a new air pump for my fishtank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
21 Replies
Last post March 23, 2018, 02:33:19 PM
by Hampalong
9 Replies
Last post December 11, 2014, 09:14:05 PM
by bferg4
5 Replies
Last post January 08, 2017, 09:25:56 PM
by MarquisMirage
29 Replies
Last post February 16, 2017, 02:17:15 PM
by Gazzariff
5 Replies
Last post December 15, 2017, 08:47:56 PM
by Rustle
19 Replies
Last post April 08, 2018, 11:51:32 AM
by Sue
29 Replies
Last post July 06, 2018, 08:47:09 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: