NT Labs Aquarium Lab Multi-test Kit

Author Topic: NT Labs Aquarium Lab Multi-test Kit  (Read 9640 times) 3 replies

Offline adenann

• Fishy Member
NT Labs Aquarium Lab Multi-test Kit
« on: May 21, 2017, 07:55:17 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
After a lot of research, I eventually decided on this test kit from NT Labs.

The pros:-
  • The kit covers 6 tests, NH3 (3 reagents), NO2 (1 reagent), NO3  (2 reagents), pH (1 reagent), KH (1 reagent) & GH (2 Reagents).  10 reagents in total
  • All the tests are liquid tests, including NO3, which in some kits are a combination of liquid and tablets.
  • The pH test is a broad range test covering 4-10.
  • The instructions are very easy to follow.
  • It comes with a syringe.  Maybe earlier versions didn't as the one with the 2 kits I've bought both had one that didn't really have a proper place in the packaging.  Quite likely added now following feedback.
  • The packaging doubles as a test tube rack whilst doing the tests.
  • Its made in Britain.
The big plus for me is the broad range pH test.  Most other kits have two tests for pH, low range and high range.  My level around 7.5 would mean I would need to use both or just one and waste one.

The cons:-
  • The colour charts for NH3, NO2, NO3 and pH only cover 7 values
  • The tests for KH & GH require a number of drops of the reagents depending on water hardness.  For NH3, NO2 & pH, you need 5 drops of each reagent whilst for NO3 its 6 drops.  Would have been nicer if the non-hardness tests were all same number of drops.
  • The packaging says "200 Tests".  This is a bit like your ISP quoting an "up to" download speed.  The amount of reagent you use for KH and GH depend entirely on the hardness of your water so it's actually impossible to state an exact number of tests.

I'm not too bothered about the granularity of the colour charts for NH3 and NO2.  If they're not zero you've got a problem so the fact that other values are marked with exclamation marks or skull-and-crossbones doesn't add anything.

For pH, the colour scale is in units for 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10.  My tests show a colour a bit greener than the yellow of 7 but paler than the green of 8, so we record this as 7.5.

Only the NO3 chart is a problem.  The colours go from clear to a deep pink shade in steps from 0,2.5, 5, 10,20,40 to 80.  This, therefore offers two possibilities.  If the test result is darker than one value but lighter than the next, you can either record it as the higher or, like we do, put it mid-way between the two.  Either way, IMO consistency is more important than actual value.  Provided its not off the chart at more than 50ppm above tap supply.

The reagent seem to last a long time.  I bought our first one in mid-December last year for <£21 from Amazon.  I've just run out of Reagent-B for the GH test.  This is to be expected as we have GH of 15 so need to use 18 drops every time.  We only test GH around once every couple of months.  We're also just about to run out of Reagent-1 of the two reagent NO3 test.  I've just taken delivery of a second kit, also from Amazon, for <£24.  OK, its gone up £3 in 5 months but its still cheaper to buy as a kit since, for some reason, to buy the components separately costs a lot more than the complete kit.  You do though get another set of test tubes and a syringe which is a bit of a waste.  I haven't, as yet, found a way to just replace individual reagents without all the other unnecessary bits.

Offline Fishywishy

• Fishy Member
Re: NT Labs Aquarium Lab Multi-test Kit
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 06:13:22 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Anybody got thoughts on this. Just used the NTLabs Nitrate Kit and readings of:
Straight from tap  circa 1ppm
From tank 5ppm
but Severn Trents figure for tapwater in month to June 2020 1s 13.66ppm.
So question is whether the kit reading is reliable?
Not overly worried as even if I had to 'gross' things up would still be in'safe' perameters but just begs the question of the reliability of these kits.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 01:33:05 PM »
That particular brand of testing kit is as good as any other liquid-based home testing kit in the aquatic hobby. (Test strips are much less accurate.)  However, all these test kits are much less accurate than the testing ones used professionally - see the first line of the second post in this thread https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/new-fishkeepers/should-i-test-for-nitrate/msg13453/#msg13453.

Offline Fishywishy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 04:05:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply which basically suggests doing what I said about 'grossing'up. Pity the people who market the product don't say so!!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "NT Labs Aquarium Lab Multi-test Kit"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 06:43:04 PM
by Naomi12345
10 Replies
Last post November 22, 2017, 09:01:50 AM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post October 28, 2014, 01:34:43 PM
by Aquamaid
10 Replies
Last post January 13, 2017, 07:26:29 PM
by Andys101
144 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 08:47:30 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2019, 08:18:42 PM
by jaypeecee
5 Replies
Last post June 13, 2019, 05:03:41 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: