Electronic PH Measurement

Author Topic: Electronic pH measurement  (Read 4377 times) 2 replies

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Electronic pH measurement
« on: January 25, 2019, 10:46:44 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Can anyone recommend an electronic pH meter? When discussing Seneye, it has been mentioned that it reads high. It does have an ability to "trim" measurements so I'm starting to wonder whether a second device for calibrating might be useful.

Normally when I replace the slide on my Seneye, the pH appears to drop. This time it jumped up significantly (see step change in the image below)

If it isn't lying to me, the pH is too high for my fish.

The only change at that time was the slide. After a day or two when the pH didn't come down (which it generally does if I've not soaked the slide long enough), I added a large cattapa leaf. And again this evening. They are marked by the little green annotation symbols and you can see that it dropped the pH a little.

What I don't want to do is drop the pH too much and it be too low for the comfort of my fish.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Electronic pH measurement
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 06:50:42 AM »
Partly depends how much you are willing to spend!... Hanna as a brand is well recognised as producing good quality instruments. They have a pH pen designed for hydroponics use which would work well for you here https://www.hannainstruments.co.uk/hi-98115-groline-hydroponics-ph-tester.html which can be dual point calibrated etc etc. and is around £50 depending on where you get it...

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
Re: Electronic pH measurement
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 10:53:49 PM »
Hi Helen,

I use an electronic pH meter but be aware that you will also need buffer solutions against which to calibrate the meter from time to time. And there are other considerations to take into account. In the first instance, have you considered a low range test kit? JBL do one that covers the range from 6.0 to 7.6. They do other pH test kits covering different ranges. I note that Swell UK are currently offering the 6.0 - 7.6 kit for £8.54.

JPC

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: