Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Newbie Hello
« on: August 25, 2017, 12:50:24 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello  everyone
My name is Barbara I live in Consett County Durham Uk.
I have been pondering for years about setting up an aquarium, I have always like fish though only ever had goldfish, as a child at home the family had them and I was always the one that ended up caring for them even if they weren't mine, then as a wife and mother again ended up caring for them even though they were hubby's and kids.. but I always felt I would like some tropical/marine fish, so now that kids are up and gone (Hubby Still Here  :D  His name is Alan by the way)  I have decided to take action and set up an aquarium.

So hoping to learn lots from this forum and hopefully gain some knowledge in the next few weeks while I buy and set up the tank.

I would love some help on what is the best reading material to help me along the way and if members could kindly point out any good posts to read on the forum for setting up a tank.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Newbie Hello
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 09:18:36 AM »
Hi,

I am not far from you, just over the border in Cleveland (in the part that used to be Yorkshire). So I know that you have fairly soft water with low KH - I'll explain more on this later.

What size tank do you have? This is important for choosing fish - they need to be able to fit. All the fish in shops are babies or juveniles and still have a lot fo growing to do.

Rather than books, you are better reading articles on here, and about fish on the website Seriously Fish, which is written by fish experts, unlike some other sites.

To get you started I should explain that the first thing you need to do is grow some bacteria, which I know sounds a bit odd  :)
Fish excrete ammonia, it is their version of urine. In the wild, this would get washed away but in a tank it just builds up. And ammonia in the water burns the fish's skin and gills. But there are bacteria that live in an aquarium which use this ammonia as food and their waste product is nitrite. This is also poisonous to the fish as it binds to their blood in the same way that carbon monoxide does to us. But another species of bacteria uses nitrite as food and turns it into nitrate. This is much less toxic and we remove it by doing water changes.
There are very very few of these bacteria in our tap water because the water company adds chlorine or chloramine to kill bacteria. So we have to take the few we do have and grow more. This process of growing bacteria is called cycling.
There are two ways to cycle a tank; or to be precise there are two ways of putting ammonia into the tank to feed the bacteria and get them to grow. The first is called fish-in cycling where a few fish are put in the tank and their waste feeds the bacteria. This is the old way of doing things and is now frowned on as it puts these fish at risk of harm or even death. The second is fishless cycling, and we use ammonia from a bottle to grow the bacteria before any fish are put in the tank.

I have two links for you, one for each method of cycling.
Fishless cycling
Fish-in cycling
Whichever method you choose you will need a test kit. Liquid reagent ones with test tubes are more accurate than strip testers. A shop may say that they'll test for you but you need to be able to test daily especially if you choose fish-in cycling.

I strongly recommend doing a fishless cycle. Ammonia can be found in some branches of Homebase. My local DIY shop stocks Jeyes Kleen Off Household Ammonia which is a good brand. Failing that you will need to look on Amazon or Ebay.
Fish shops do not stock ammonia as they do not believe in fishless cycling. They will try to sell you a bottled bacteria product instead and probably say that you must get fish at the same time even though all these products say they don't cycle a tank instantly. If you want to try one of these products get Tetra Safe Start as that one contains the right species of nitrite eaters, though even that won't do much if it has been stored incorrectly at any point since manufacture.
I mentioned low KH above. I won't go into details now as this post already contains enough to confuse most people but I will say that with low KH you are in danger of a pH crash during cycling. I know, it happened to me. There is a very simple remedy, so if you decide to do fishless cycling after reading those two links, I'll tell you what to do.

While you are cycling, that is the time to research fish. Visit all your local shops to see what they stock and make a note of those fish that catch your eye. Do not tell them you are doing a fishless cycle!!! Then come home and look up the fish on Seriously Fish. You need fish that like soft water, are suitable for the tank you have and will get on with each other.

I've given you a lot to think about here. Ask any questions you need. The only silly questions are those you don't ask  :)

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 02:09:27 PM »
Hello Sue,  I am just heading out to visit the first of 3 shops in the Durham area, just on a reccy to see what the have etc I have made a note of the 3 questions to ask to see what they say. I will let you know how I get on, I do not have a tank etc, still looking for one trying to buy a good second-hand one hoping to get a good bargain but might end up with a new one.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 03:37:13 PM »
In that case, you have the perfect excuse for not buying fish  ;D

The bigger the tank, the easier it is to look after because more water makes the build up of anything nasty a bit slower giving you more time to rectify things.
If you find a second hand tank that is still in use, ask them not to clean it - or at least ask them to keep the filter media in some dechlorinated water. The bacteria will stay alive if the media is kept wet, and although they may have gone dormant they will speed up a cycle.

Offline mizuti

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 08:52:30 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum, I am a newbie too - the best advice I can give is this - listen to sue! Sue is incredibly knowledgeable and helpful, really can't sing her praises enough.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 01:56:14 AM »
Hi Barbara, welcome to the forum.  I'm not too far away either in, Morpeth.  Cycling a tank is a good start to learning about how we control water quality.  However, when you're ready to get started, and if you wish too, you're welcome to message me.  I have loads of already cycled filter material you can take advantage of.  Bring whatever filter you decide on with you and we can stuff it full of already cycled media so you can get started quicker.

Which shops have you visited?  You're very lucky with many good local fish stores in your area.  Fish Alive is one I've visited in Durham and has a good range of fish and equipment as well as a lady there who catches fish like a master.  She successfully picked out individually selected guppies in seconds.  Peterlee Aquatics has a facebook page and looks well stocked.  Tropical Supplies North East in Durham is another shop I want to take a peek at in person.

For second hand tanks I'd recommend (if you use facebook) the Tyne and Wear Scales page.  The www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk website also has many used tanks listed as well as many other things (most likely got that site from Sue).  Best bit of advice I can give for used aquariums is to look out for the lighting.  Everything is switching to much cheaper to run LED lights so bargains on tanks with T5 tube lights may not be so good as they require expensive yearly replacing while an LED will last many years.  Another piece of advice would be to buy a good thermostat heater for your tank new.  The heater is one bit of kit you shouldn't take risks with.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 08:00:57 AM »
Hi Barbara  :wave:
Any update on your tank purchase possibilities or thoughts on what fish you like?

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 02:33:42 PM »
Hi, Sorry I have not been back sooner had a bit of an emergency with a friend's Mam ended up doing a few trip to the hospital a day for last few days, got the weekend off so catching up.

Anyway, I have chickened out a bit a really worried I would not get all this right so even though I have bought a secondhand 200lt tank which needs a good clean, new light etc. I have just last night bought an Aquanano 55lt tank, which came with a used skimmer,( not read up on what they are) a used heater, new thermometer, and new Light. I do like the look of the tank and feel a bit calmer about having a go at setting up a smaller tank until I can learn and understand more. so my next job is to get the electric bits. been on Amazon and looking at these items. My hubby thinks an under-gravel filter system is better (thoughts would be welcome)

. Aqua One Maxi Internal Filter 300L/hr
. Hailea 200w Glass Heater
. Tetra APS50 Air Pump

I have just been reading a post where they were debating about gravel or sand, I think I like the sand it sound a thought it is easier and I don't like the idea of the fish getting it in their gills.
over the next week, I will be buying the equipment and a stand of some sort as I do not have a unit big enough.
Bx

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 02:41:06 PM »
At the moment I am not looking at the fish learning more about setting up the tank first, then will look at what I can have. also what kind of filter is best and what kind of air pump, I saw an air pump in the Fish Alive shop I liked with an acrylic what looked like a river that the air came out of the end it looked like liquid silver coming down the river, then a bubble of air came out. might have that totally wrong but going to ask about it when I go back later in the week.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 02:50:04 PM »
I would go with an internal filter something from the fluval u series as these are highly thought of rather than an under gravel they dont work with sand anyway.

You dont need an airstone so you can save on this for the time being.  You wont also need the slimmer, I'd leave this out for the time being as they tend to be quite bulky and unsightly.  :cheers:

The debate over sand or gravel rages on... but what I can say is more aquarists switch to sand from gravel.  ;) personally though i prefer gravel as it's easier and less time consuming to clean and doesn't show the waste on the surface so much.

Inspect the heaters you have and if they dont have condensation inside I would say they are ok to use.

It's actually easier to have a larger volume tank as illogical as this may sound as it means that you have a larger buffer volume of water in case anything goes wrong.  This will mean that anything that shouldn't be in the tank for whatever reason is affecting a larger volume of water and is therefore more dilute.
Another option would be to use the 55ltr as a sump for the 200ltr which would mean you could have a 250ltr system... even more water volume.  ;D

Hope that helps, I'm sure others will offer further advice also.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 02:59:18 PM »
Matt posted while I was typing but I'll let my post stand as it is  ;D

A few points to ponder -

A protein skimmer is mainly used in marine tanks. They can be used on freshwater tanks but this is not common.

Under gravel filters are a bit old fashioned. They can be good filters but they do have drawbacks.
They have to be used with gravel not sand, which cuts down the species of fish that can be kept.
Live plants and decor can cause problems. Plant roots can block the water flow, and some plants don't like water flowing past their roots; big pieces of decor cause dead spots underneath them.
The space under the plates gets full of fish poo, uneaten food etc. It is possible to siphon this out with a long piece of air tubing passed down the uplift tube, but it is common to tear down the whole tank every year to clean it. The way round this is to use a reverse flow pump so that instead of water being sucked down through the gravel, up the tube and back into the tank, water is pumped down through the tube and passes upwards through the gravel. A sponge pre-filter is attached to the pump to stop debris getting down the tube.
Modern UG plates are not as substantial as the older ones when UG filters were first invented; they crack easily.

Personally I would use an internal filter in the 55 litre and a large internal/external for the 200 litre.

Sand won't harm the fish's gills. Some, such as cories and dwarf cichlids, sift the sand looking for food. I had a bolivian rams that got a piece of gravel stuck in its throat doing this, which is why all my tanks now have sand.

You don't need an air pump unless you like the looks of bubbles when an air pump is connected to an air stone. Or you intend using an air powered sponge filter.

Of all the equipment, don't go for a cheap heater. It has been known for heaters to fail in the on position, more likely with cheap imports from the Far East. get a good brand even if it costs more.

The best thing for cleaning a tank is plenty of elbow grease. Those pan scourers made of what looks like knitted brightly coloured plastic yarn are ideal as they don't scratch; a cheap brand new toothbrush is good for corners.
To clean any possible bugs, supermarket basic range bleach (the thin stuff that is very cheap) or babies' bottle sterilising liquid. Dilute bleach 1 part bleach to 9 parts water; make up babies' bottle sterilising liquid as the instructions. After cleaning rinse, rinse and rinse again. Then rinse with water overdosed with dechlorinator (water conditioner) as bleach is chlorine. Then rinse and rinse with plain water again.

Make sure the unit is big enough to fit all the tank base on it; there must not be any tank overhanging the stand.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 03:32:16 PM »
Matt posted while I was typing but I'll let my post stand as it is  ;D

Great minds think alike @Sue  :raspberries

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 04:14:22 PM »
Wow, that was a lot to read, I have printed off the fishless cycle you did. I do have a few questions as I am a totally numty when it comes to PH, KH, Nitrate, Ammonia etc.

. Do I plant live plants before I start the cycle?
. What make of test strips do you use as they don't say much about them in the sales pitch on Amazon/eBay?
. Is there a post that has recommendations for equipment?
. Does the cycle differ depending on the size of your tank?

I am sure there will be loads more question yet, I am trying to set my self a to do list in order of what to do, using the information I am gathering from this forum. Bx

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 04:38:07 PM »
To answer your questions:

Plants. It is up to you. But some species don't do well in 3 ppm ammonia and can die. Plants also use ammonia as fertiliser so the cycle doesn't follow a nice simple pattern. It is easier to plant the tank while you are setting it up so if you decide to plant straight away I suggest using just 2 ppm ammonia. Post your test results if you need help.

Test kits. I don't use strips. They are regarded as less accurate than the kind with bottles of reagents and test tubes. I have the API testers which come as a set of pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. If you get a liquid reagent kit, follow the nitrate test instructions carefully - one bottle will need to be shaken very well because it contains a chemical which settles out on the bottom of the bottle.
Most test strips do not test for ammonia, so if you decide to go with strips you'll need two - one for ammonia and one for everything else.

There isn't a thread that has recommendations for all types of equipment. There some  reviews in this section https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/tank-equipment-reviews/ but it is far from comprehensive. If you start new threads in this section https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-tanks-and-equipment/ titled something like recommendations for new filter/heater wanted, we will give our opinions on which ones we like. Don't forget to give the tank size  :)

The cycle is the same regardless of tank volume. All that differs is that it takes more mls of the ammonia solution to get 3 ppm in a bigger tank than in a smaller one.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 04:48:02 PM »
I have a test strip set which test for ammonia using a separate strip but again I wouldn't recommend. I can get fairly reliable results but I have to use tissue paper carefully to remove water from between the coloured test pads on the strip else if the water is joining them one pad affects the next. The tissue paper also affects the result if it goes near the pad... faff!!

I'm only testing now and then though now I have an established tank. You'll be doing lots of tests and will need accurate results for your cycle.

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 05:05:44 PM »
 :wave: Thank You for the information I will have a look on Amazon/ebay for the liquid reagent kit.looking forward to going shopping tomorrow.  :fishy1: :fishy1:

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 07:16:06 PM »
Ah, the joys of fishkeeping!  While I chose not to use under gravel filtration (because I don't fully understand it) I know may experienced fishkeepers who do use it.  There are many filtration options and many will work. And this is the thing with the hobby - there's usually more than one way to skin the filet. 

. Do I plant live plants before I start the cycle?
I have always fully planted the tank and let it stand for a few days before starting the cycle.  I feel that this has aided the speed of the cycle as there is already something live happening in the tank.

. What make of test strips do you use as they don't say much about them in the sales pitch on Amazon/eBay?
I agree that the API master test kit for tropical aquariums is the way forward.

. Is there a post that has recommendations for equipment?
You'll need the following and everything else is optional:
* a tank (matter of your choice),
* a heater.  I use the Fluval E series for small tanks as they have an outer casing to stop fish being accidently burnt, a clear temperature display, and easy to set thermostat.  For larger tanks I'd use the Eheim Aquarium Thermostat Heater range.
* a filter.  Various different options but I'd agree with what Sue and Matt have said.  For larger tanks I'd go for one of the external Fluval options.  Smaller tanks I'd go an internal filter and sponge filter.  Personally I like sponge filters and bubbles because it helps gas exchange, is extremely easy, and does what's needed.  I use Interpet Nano Aquamini Aquarium air pumps with Aquacadabra Corner Bio sponge filters in two tanks and an Eheim air pump (comes fully equipped) in one.  One thing you need to know is the flow that the fish you want like and make sure the filter provides it.
* lights.  Usually come with the tank.  Almost any light will do for low-medium light plants.  However, lights that can be adjusted will be invaluable for helping get rid of algae.  For serious planting I use the Hagen Fluval LED Fresh & Plant 2.0 range as they give clear details about par ratings and depth penetration but really most basic plants don't need that.

. Does the cycle differ depending on the size of your tank?
Nope.  My 400+ l cycled at the same speed as my 40 l.

Ideally you need to select your desired fish first (which seems a bit backwards) but remember you're setting up a home for them so you have to know what they like before you furnish it.

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 10:12:03 PM »
Thank you that info marquismirage  I will now go look at fish and decide which I like as I know that there is a lot to consider as to which fish are compatible etc. Bx

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 11:18:49 PM »
Hello @AquariusBarbara and welcome! You will find lots of fish once you start looking, maybe too many (ask Littlefish about that)
Perhaps a good starting point is to find out what water you have with a google search to your water company, but Sue and Marquismirage will probably be able to tell you. Once you know the water hardness and pH you can narrow down the possibilities a bit. I like to stay with fish that are naturally at home in my tap water. In many cases they will have been bred in different conditions and will cope with a larger range that wild caught fish, but my feeling is that evolution will have been working for millions of years to get them where they are, and a few generations in a breeding tank wont completely unwind that.
You can stretch the natural boundaries but don't want to go for something completely different to your natural conditions or perhaps worse mix fish with different requirements as it will more than likely stress one or all of them.
Next look at the adult size and the minimum number of fish that are recommended, you will often see references to 6 or more then make sure the tank can cope with that many (as Matt said, big tank better) The general guide is a cm of adult fish length per liter of tank water.
Try using this as an initial filter on you search and then pop them in a post and the others with experience of the particular fish can help refine further.
So many fish...exciting times. Good luck :)

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 11:23:10 PM »
After a bit of a no use struggle with the community calculator, I have a 55L tank with internal filter, sand,  there will be a few plants as well.

My thinking for a first time go just these fish

2 Round Banded Barb Puntius 
3 Cherry Barb Puntius
6 Cardinal Tetra
4 White Cloud Mountain Minnow

Thoughts Please. Bx

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Newbie Hello"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2015, 03:44:20 PM
by Robert
Newbie!!!

Started by Silver633 « 1 2 ... 6 7 » New Fishkeepers

132 Replies
Last post March 22, 2016, 09:27:41 PM
by Fiona
16 Replies
Last post June 28, 2016, 08:18:30 AM
by Mascol
4 Replies
Last post December 20, 2017, 07:53:48 PM
by Fishbeard
19 Replies
Last post September 01, 2018, 05:45:43 PM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post September 20, 2019, 05:33:16 PM
by fcmf
28 Replies
Last post November 24, 2019, 06:19:29 PM
by Bristlenose

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: