Author Topic: Newbie Hello  (Read 12983 times) 86 replies

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
Re: Newbie Hello
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2017, 07:01:09 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have a PF1 I've used but is currently a spare.  Replaced by a sponge filter when the shrimp tank was converted to a betta tank.  It has a built in venturi system on the top if you want the extra bubbles. :)  The instructions will tell you how to set it up as I can't recall off the top of my head.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2017, 07:20:22 PM »
I use an air pump primarily after feeding to get rid of any protein scum /oil on the waters surface.

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2017, 09:33:28 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Do you think that filter will be enough to aerate the tank or should I add an air stone in line as well?

I have now set my stand up with the tank on just so I can get the feel of having it in the living room.
hope it does not end up being too noisy as I am deaf on my right side and that is going to be on my left when I sit watching tv. Might have a play tomorrow and just see if it will fit in opposite corner. not sure about space.

Starting to get a little bit anxious and excited together, going to start reading up on the water testing. 

Thanks, All Bxx

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2017, 09:55:36 PM »
I agree with Sue that the filter will be enough to aerate the tank on its own

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2017, 10:02:44 PM »
The flow rate of the Interpet PF1 is rated at 380 litres/hour. The minimum usually recommended is 5 times the tank volume per hour so for your 55 litres you need around 275 litres per hour. The PF1 should be plenty.

However, the manual says it has a white foam and a black, carbon impregnated, black foam. The on-line manual appears to have been photocopied from a creased sheet of paper. It ends the bottom of one column with "The foams can be washed in a bucket containing aquarium water. The carbon" and that sentence is supposed to continue at the top of the next column, only it's missing in this poor copy. If it says it should be replaced regularly, don't. Carbon gets full which is why they probably say to replace it, but carbon isn't actually needed. Since this carbon is in a sponge, just treat it like a white foam.

http://www.interpet.co.uk/Media/InterpetUK/Skoo/2201/2201_7.pdf

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2017, 10:20:31 PM »
Great to see that you have the tank and stand set up.....and the stand looks as if it could even take a bigger tank, you know, if necessary, in the future.  ;)

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2017, 10:59:40 PM »
I agree the PF1 alone will be enough.  I see you went with the same aquarium stand as I use for my betta tank and volcano tank. :D  So much störage.

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2017, 11:03:10 PM »
The stand is just an Ikea kallax unit with the cupboard inserts. it states in the blurb that it supposedly only takes a weight of 13 kg but not sure if that is the weight of unit or weight it can take ???. we are going to get 2 baskets for the bottom as I hate seeing all the wires. but I certainly think it looks better than the one that comes with the tank, that one was far to plain for me, a picture below.

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2017, 11:07:47 PM »
Hi Mark,
 I was a bit wary about what to use as a stand, I did not want anything too big or too small. Weight bearing is a problem with some of the high street cupboards/storage unit as they can be rather flimsy I have the larger 6 hole unit in my dining room as a book case so thought this should be ok for my tank which will be 55kg + once fully set up.  What size and approx weight are your tanks if you don't mind me asking.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2017, 11:25:49 PM »
The volcano tank is 60 l and the betta tank is 30 l.   I see what you mean about the weight thing on the Ikea website (I hadn't considered it may be an issue) as it says 13 kg per shelf.  I take that to mean the thinner shelves on the inside rather than the top.  The tops seem sturdy enough to me and I don't think it will become a problem.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2017, 05:54:20 AM »
It has been known for me and my wife to both sit on a cupboard to test its weight bearing capacity!  :rotfl:

I wonder if it might be worth changing the carbon sponge for some ordinary filter sponge. I have read about carbon releasing the nasties it's taken in when it becomes full... agree with Sue that it should not be replaced regularly though as you would loose all the beneficial bacteria within it.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2017, 07:12:24 AM »
@Aquarius Barbara I like that cabinet.

As for thinks like Ikea cabinets, I have used brackets like those in the link below to reinforce cabinets and bookcases to allow for fish tank storage. I have repurposed/rebuilt a few items, and added extra panels and brackets, to make sure that the units can take the weight.
http://www.diy.com/departments/silver-effect-steel-angle-bracket/243264_BQ.prd

I have also been known to test the load bearing capacity of a unit in much the same way as Matt has described, and so far so good. You would be amazed at what you can do if you are determined to make space for some extra fish tanks (my tv stand houses a Fluval Roma 125).  :)

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2017, 09:39:58 AM »
I have a larger tank that is a meter long it fits great into an alcove opposite corner to the one I showed last night. So I will be looking for something similar to put that on. The cabinet that came with it (second hand) on closer inspection is a bit damaged, we have flat packed it and keeping it for now as we might use it as a template to build a new one ourselves if we can get a similar coloured board or wood.

Offline Ian1962

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2017, 07:15:14 AM »
Hi Barbara
Sorry for this late reply. If you like Aquarium snails, you might consider Nitre snails. There are a few different types, with different colours and markings. Also another advantage with them, is they can't breed in freshwater. They need salt water to breed, but live happily in fresh water. I have subscribed to Practical Fish Keeping for many years. It an excellent magazine, full of information and articals. If you subscribe by direct debit, you can get freebies when your renewal is due. We all love a freebie don't we. I've had free filters, fish food, over the years. It's a no loose situation. I hope you find this useful.
     :fishy1:

[Nerite snails - just fixing the spelling to allay any potential confusion.  :) Moderator  C:-).]

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2017, 09:00:48 AM »
Which version do you get Ian? Print or digital?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2017, 09:11:18 AM »
Just read through the diploma stuff... I'm getting confused by something...

To set the scene, it states that "water movement is vital in bringing deoxygenated water from the bottom of the tank to the top of the tank, where it can be replenished with oxygen."
This all makes sense.
But I'm struggling with "Increasing the surface area through water movement will increase the rate at which gas can be absorbed or released."
Whilst I can't deny that a less smooth water surface will have a greater surface area than a perfectly flat surface area... but surely it is the water movement around the tank (as in the first quote) that is the overriding factor??

Thoughts please!!...

Offline Sue

« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2017, 10:30:34 AM »
My understanding is that with no water movement, the same bit of water stays at the top all the time. But moving that top layer down and the bottom layer up effectively creates a larger water surface because it is not the same bit of water at the surface all the time.

I could be wrong though  ;D

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2017, 11:44:48 AM »
effectively creates

I think this is the key word!!

Offline Ian1962

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2017, 03:44:25 PM »
Hi Matt
I get the print version of Practical Fish keeping. It's my understanding that it's both the surface aggertation and the water movement, around the whole tank that helps with the re oxygenation of the water. I hope that make sense. :)

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2017, 06:40:02 PM »
Yay science!  At 25 degrees Celsius and 1 bar of pressure oxygen solubility is at 40 mg/L water.  With normal air composition oxygen partial pressure is 0.2 standard atmospheres.  Dissolution equals 40 x 0.2 = 8 mg O (subscript) 2/L in water that comes in contact with air.

So they meant surface contact instead of 'surface area'.  Which is what everyone else has said already.  So...  er...  yeah.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Newbie Hello"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2015, 03:44:20 PM
by Robert
Newbie!!!

Started by Silver633 « 1 2 ... 6 7 » New Fishkeepers

132 Replies
Last post March 22, 2016, 09:27:41 PM
by Fiona
16 Replies
Last post June 28, 2016, 08:18:30 AM
by Mascol
4 Replies
Last post December 20, 2017, 07:53:48 PM
by Fishbeard
19 Replies
Last post September 01, 2018, 05:45:43 PM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post September 20, 2019, 05:33:16 PM
by fcmf
28 Replies
Last post November 24, 2019, 06:19:29 PM
by Bristlenose

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: