Author Topic: Newbie Hello  (Read 12873 times) 86 replies

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: Newbie Hello
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2017, 01:41:13 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Looks like I have ordered the wrong API kit I will look into that. I will order the correct one and return the saltwater one, that's what you get for being too enthusiastic.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2017, 04:20:03 PM »
I have had a reply from API

Yes, you can use the Saltwater master kit for freshwater, however you would require the freshwater master test kit color chart because it will produce a different colors than freshwater.

I think I would return it if possible. Although you may be able to get a set of freshwater colour charts from API if you ask them.
http://www.apifishcare.co.uk/help-resource-center.php

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2017, 04:24:44 PM »
Thanks Sue, I have ordered Tetra Safe Start Water Conditioner and API Aquarium Freshwater Master Test Kit, 800-Piece. so once they are here I can get started, just got to pop out and get some sand and plants.

Thank You to everyone for all your help. B xx  :fishy1: :fishy1:

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2017, 06:19:21 PM »

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2017, 08:30:28 PM »
@Aquarius Barbara and @Dr Um
I have these colour card images saved on a tablet and use them instead of the cards.
My issue was that the cards can have a worrying variation between packs, these were 'sensible looking' ie they do actually progress through the colours and each shade is noticeably different which is more than can be said for some of my actual cards.
It is not uncommon for people to report "I'm not sure if its 40 or 80ppm" and this to me sounds just daft - with this level of uncertainty it makes a mockery of testing. The test themselves will easily produce results that repeat between test of the same water better than 3ppm for Nitrate (it is not needed to be this accurate for Nitrate, but from experience I know it is possible) Ammonia I think can be read repeatably down to 0.05ppm rather than the 0.25ppm initial step on the card, so the actual test chemistry I believe to be very good.

Ed, More trouble with attachments, take 8 now with just one file more to follow, grrrr.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2017, 08:36:45 PM »
Take 11.
Nope, I cant even attach a 39k jpeg this is annoying!  >:(
If you would like the images IM me and I will send them to you directly

Ed.
I have just seen that the Nitrate that did get through wasn't the correct file... I give up, as above if anybody wants the images IM me GRRRR!

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2017, 11:39:18 AM »
My Lovely Hubby came home with the PFK mag and in there is an article about acquiring a diploma, the first thing they are doing is all about water testing gives you all the whats and where for's, of all the KH, PH's etc. so that is going to be great help when my kit gets here, the salt water one arrived today  :-[ but the other is on its way, my air pump arrived as well, so nearly ready to go. I purchased some sand and gravel on Saturday.

Which leads me to a question, in the shop the owner mention to be careful of gases building up under the sand as they can kill the fish, not wanting to look dumb in the shop I thought I would ask the members if they can explain what she was meaning please as I have not come across this in my research so far.??

I do not like the stand that goes with the aspire tank so I am looking for an alternative but not having any luck so far, due to the weight bearing that a unit will have to take. anyone got any ideas (other than building one myself)  ::)

Re: a check valve I don't have to go with the same manufacturer of the air pump for it can I but another make as the one that they say is £7.11 but others are as little as 49p.?

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2017, 01:12:18 PM »
Yippee Hubby Taking me to Maidenhead aquariums in Gosforth see you soon he, he.

Offline Sue

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2017, 01:56:08 PM »
It depends how deep the sand is. Over 5 cm there is a possibility. Most of the bacteria in our tanks need to use oxygen, like we and fish do. But some don't use oxygen, and these are called anaerobic bacteria. Right at the bottom of a deep layer of sand there is no oxygen making it a perfect home for these anaerobic bacteria. Some of them make a gas called hydrogen sulphide as their waste product - better known as the bad egg smell. This is actually quite poisonous and if a lot of it collects together to form a large pocket of gas, this has been blamed for fish deaths. If it comes out in bits and pieces, it is OK.
There are two things you can do to prevent the formation of a pocket of gas. Stir the sand with a stick every time you do a water change. Or get some Malaysian trumpet snails. These snails live in the sand and tunnel their way through it looking for food, so they stir up the sand for you.

Check valve - do you mean a one way valve to stop water creeping back up the air line tubing and into the air pump? I managed to break mine so I bought a pack of 2 from Ebay and that cost just under £3 including postage. I decided against the really cheap ones as I had already managed to break one.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2017, 08:53:41 PM »
My Lovely Hubby came home with the PFK mag and in there is an article about acquiring a diploma

I'm signed up  :cheers:

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2017, 10:07:00 PM »
Hi, Matt, I bought 2 none return valves for £3.99 when I was at Maidenhead Aquatics along with a few other bits.

But I did fall in love with some  Endlers Guppies they are beautiful and so tiny so going to look them up to see if it is worth while having them.
Will I be able to have some Malaysian Trumpets snails in my tank, with it just being a small 55lt I don't want to over crowd it.?

I am considering subscribing to PFK mag as they are doing 2 years for the price of 1. at the moment. I have enjoyed reading this one so looks like it might be a go'er.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2017, 10:22:28 PM »
Snails don't add much bioload to a tank. Not something you need to worry about as they will probably do more harm than good  :)

However, Endlers need hard water,as do most livebearing fish I'm afraid...

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2017, 09:20:22 AM »
Sorry Matt I don't understand, the snails do "more harm than good"??  :-\

Offline Sue

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2017, 10:01:31 AM »
I think Matt might have written that backwards  ;D

Snails are a useful part of the ecosystem of a tank, as long as they don't multiply out of control. The way to stop that is by not overfeeding the fish once you have them.
Malaysian trumpet snails spend the day in the substrate looking for bits of food, though they do come out in the dark, and they turn stir up sand. They are also a useful early warning system - if you ever see them climbing the tank walls in daylight, test your tank water. Snails don't like ammonia and nitrite so if that appears in the water they try to get away from it by climbing out of the tank.

I have MTS as well as other snails in my tanks. Some I have bought, other's came with live plants.

Once, decades ago, fishkeepers killed every snail they saw. The out of date books I got from the library in the 1990s said snail were bad because they brought diseases into the tank. We now know different. I suppose if we went and collected snails from the local pond, that wouldn't be a good idea, but then using anything else from the local pond is not recommended.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2017, 10:42:46 AM »
Have you bought any of the trumpet snails yet?  If you haven't let me hook you up with some for free.  PM me your address and I'll get them out to you.

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2017, 11:44:40 AM »
I have not set tank up yet will be in the next week waiting for the water testing kit to arrive, slight delay due to me ordering wrong kit. But should be here by the end of the week. But I will contact you as soon as I am ready for them if that is still ok. Thank You. Bx

Offline Sue

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2017, 12:53:36 PM »
It would be best to wait until the tank has cycled. I know it is said that Malaysian trumpet snails and cockroaches will be only survivors of a nuclear holocaust, but better safe than sorry. The species of snails we buy (nerite snails, apple snails if the EU hadn't banned them, etc ) are more sensitive to ammonia and nitrite than fish, though pest snails seem to be able to survive them.

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2017, 03:47:58 PM »
Yes I was going to wait until I was ready to stock, just watching some you tube videos which are helping a lot as I can see what they are doing and making notes as I go. Thanks.

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2017, 06:19:51 PM »
Progress report:
Bought stand sorting that tonight,
Everything other than fish and plants bought so once all arrives I will be getting started.
Could well be this weekend. Fingers crossed everyone.  :fishy1:

::)
Made another mistake I have just bought the interpet internal aquarium power filter PF1. then on reading more it is a pump as well so don't need the air pump I bought unless it does not aerate the water enough, then it will come in handy.

Offline Sue

« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2017, 06:45:29 PM »
Most filters do aerate the water properly

Gas exchange takes place at the surface of the water. Oxygen dissolves in the water to replace that taken up by the fish. Carbon dioxide which is made by fish respiring leaves the water (live plants do make things more complex, but that's the basic idea). If the water did not move around, the same water would be at the surface all the time so that oxygen would have to diffuse down into the water before more could dissolve and carbon dioxide would have to diffuse to the surface for more to leave. If the water is churned up, carbon dioxide rich water from lower down in the tank is brought to the surface so carbon dioxide can be lost faster than still water; oxygen rich oxygenated waster is pushed down in the tank faster than it can can diffuse down.
Filters churn the water up by 'blowing' water through the tank. With air pumps, the bubbles churn up the water.

But the air pump is not a waste.

There are two occasions when using both a filter and an air pump can be useful, and these are when the water is warmer than usual. The warmer the water the less oxygen it can hold, so the more it is churned up the better. If your fish ever get whitespot part of the treatment is to turn the heater up, so air filters help get more oxygen into the water. And during a heatwave, they also help.

And should you ever develop multiple tank syndrome you may decide to get fish that like less water flow, and for this type of fish a sponge filter powered by an air pump is ideal. This is what I use in my betta's tank.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Newbie Hello"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2015, 03:44:20 PM
by Robert
Newbie!!!

Started by Silver633 « 1 2 ... 6 7 » New Fishkeepers

132 Replies
Last post March 22, 2016, 09:27:41 PM
by Fiona
16 Replies
Last post June 28, 2016, 08:18:30 AM
by Mascol
4 Replies
Last post December 20, 2017, 07:53:48 PM
by Fishbeard
19 Replies
Last post September 01, 2018, 05:45:43 PM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post September 20, 2019, 05:33:16 PM
by fcmf
28 Replies
Last post November 24, 2019, 06:19:29 PM
by Bristlenose

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: