Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Newbie Hello
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 07:23:42 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I've replied to your other topic about access issues to the community creator...

So far though (and I'm sure others will be able to offer further advice) I would encourage you to look at the desired temperature ranges of your chose fish. Also take a look on the Seriously Fish to get another source of information on these fish.  The white cloud minnows prefer cooler waters to the others you have selected.

Have you found our your waters hardness yet? This is a good way of determining which species are most likely to thrive in your tank as Andy has advised below. Let us know the results or again compare them to the desired ranges on Seriously Fish yourself to work out if they are suitable for your water without expensive DO water being added for example.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2017, 08:50:31 AM »
Since you live in Co Durham, you will be on Northumbrian Water.
Click on this link https://www.nwl.co.uk/your-home/your-account/your-area.aspx and enter your postcode. It is a bit slow after you click go but it will get there.
The first box on the next page is your hardness in words and mg/l Ca (mine says moderately soft at 34 mg/l as calcium), click on 'more about water hardness'.
On the next page, underneath that pretty coloured strip, you'll see 'convert to alternative measurements' - click on that. Write down 2 of the numbers, the one for mg/l as calcium carbonate and the one for o German. Those are the two units used in fishkeeping.

Tell us what those two numbers are and we can help you with your fish choice.

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 12:02:16 PM »

mg / litre as calcium 20. mg / litre as calcium carbonate 50.   ° Clarke 3.5. ° German 2.8.

Today I have ordered the testing kit so can get started with that this week. Thank you. Bx

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2017, 03:29:07 PM »
You have pretty soft water. The cardinals will be very much at home.

The water is a quite soft for the barbs technically but im pretty sure they will be absolutely fine... ill let @Sue confirm this...

It's better to have too soft water than too hard i believe.

Offline Sue

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2017, 04:57:13 PM »
It's better to have too soft water than too hard i believe.

Except for fish that must have hard water eg the common livebearers, Rift Lake cichlids etc  ;)

Yes Barbara you have soft water, softer than mine.

Those two figures I asked for, fish sites tend to use different names for them. So mg/l calcium carbonate is the same as ppm in fish profiles; german degrees is the same as just plain degrees or dH in fish profiles.
Seriously Fish http://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ is the best place to look up fish. Some of the profiles give hardness as ppm, some as degrees or dH. Your hardness is 50 ppm and 2.8 degrees/dH

If you look up cardinal tetra you'll find they need water hardness 18 to 215 ppm, pH 3.5 to 7.5 and temperature 23 to 29 deg C.
White clouds need hardness 90 to 537 ppm, pH 6.0 to 8.5 and temperature 14 to 22 deg C

The pH can be a bit outside the fish's range as that is not as important as hardness.

So straight away we can see that your water is perfect for cardinals but a bit too soft for white clouds.  And their temperature ranges do not overlap.

Then we need to look at minimum tank size. For cardinals it is 60cm wide x 30 cm front to back; and the same for white clouds. Is your tank that size?

If it is smaller, look at ember tetra. This needs a tank 45 x 30 cm, hardness 18 to 179 ppm, pH 5.0 to 7.0, temp 20 to 28 deg C.

These are just examples to show how to put together a group of compatible fish that are suitable for a particular tank and water parameters. You do have plenty time during cycling to create a wish list  :)

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2017, 07:37:51 PM »
2 Round Banded Barb Puntius 
3 Cherry Barb Puntius
6 Cardinal Tetra
4 White Cloud Mountain Minnow

The banded bard (more commonly known as the tiger barb) is not a general community fish.  It's quite aggressive so should be kept species only or with larger fish.  Larger fish isn't an option but tiger barbs do come in three different flavours that all look good: green, normal (orange and black), and albino.  A mixed shoal could look good.  To get the most out of them the larger group the better.  They can get quite big for a nano tank so I think around 8 will fully stock your tank.  They'll do well in your water.

Cherry barbs will do well in your water too and are peaceful so keep them.  Their diet is a bit weird as they'll try anything.  Even snails and diatoms that most fish not specifically evolved for those foods will totally ignore.

Cardinal tetras and white clouds have already been covered by others.

If you stick with your initial numbers of cardinal tetras and cherry barbs I would recommend a centre piece fish like a pair of blue rams (mikrogeophagus ramirez) as your water is ideal for them.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2017, 07:47:02 PM »
If you stick with your initial numbers of cardinal tetras and cherry barbs I would recommend a centre piece fish like a pair of blue rams (mikrogeophagus ramirez) as your water is ideal for them.
Good shout - rams are my favourite fish  :cheers: ...though the 'normal' German blue rams are meant to be the hardiest if that helps. 
I thought about suggesting centrepiece fish earlier, they are definately the way to go. That or gourami... so much character.

@AquariusBarbara Are the round banded barbs you wanted tiger barbs or Puntius Rhomboocellatus?

Offline Sue

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2017, 08:52:48 PM »
We have established in another thread that this tank is a 40cm cube. So the footprint is 40 x 40 cm  :).

For rams, Seriously Fish recommends a tank with a 60 x 30 cm floor, which is 180 sq cm. 40 x 40 cm is 160 sq cm, so just about do-able.

But SF recommends 80 x 30 cm for tiger barbs; 40 x 40 is a bit on the small side for them. I know that no-one has suggested it, but to make sure I wouldn't keep tiger barbs with rams. Rams need peaceful upper fish and tiger barbs are just too active as well as being one of the nippier species in the hobby.

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2017, 11:45:26 PM »
Thank you everyone you have given me things to think about, I am going to set to and clean the tank, then start setting it up this week. I will set a new topic on my progress so that you can dip in with help if you think/know I need it. Bx

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2017, 08:05:37 AM »
I'm looking forward to reading about your progress.  :)

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2017, 09:57:34 AM »
Me too.  :D

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2017, 06:08:24 PM »
Dont forget... We LOVE pictures!!!

:cheers:

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2017, 09:26:25 PM »
Ok I am now in a position to buy a heater and filter, BUT from information, you have all given I am not sure if I should before I choose my fish as different fish have different needs, i.e. heat and filter flow so do I choose my fish now then order them. bit confused, water testing kit will be here on the 9th sept which gives me time to get the tank clean and set up, I am itching to get started help Please. Bx

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2017, 09:45:03 PM »
You can definitely crack on and get the heater provided you get one with an adjustable temperature which the vast majority have apart from some of the very smallest.

I can see your point about filter flow.  My advice would be that provided you avoid the extremes you should be ok.  This includes both a) fish such as betta which prefer slower flow and hillstreak loaches which prefer faster flow, and b) includes filters which are significantly oversized for the tank (like more than twice) an undersized filter is never recommended of course.

Essentially I would crack on and get the equipment you want and let that guide your stocking, unless you have a specific species in mind which you are happy to constrain your other options just so you can have that species (in which case make a biotope for it).

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2017, 09:54:27 PM »
I hope you are still there matt I am trying to look on seriously fish but when I try to log in it sends me to a page that I have to type a  reCAPTCHA  below but there is nowhere to type it, this is getting frustrating as I am trying to find the fish that go together but the community creator just tells me just about all fish are no good for my tank the only one I have so far is 4 cherry barb's but can't find anything to put with them  :-\

I have just found how to register but now it won't accept my email address it says it is wrong  >:( >:( >:(

Offline Sue

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2017, 10:04:37 PM »
Hi Barbara, you don't have to log in to see the fish profiles on Seriously Fish. Just click on this http://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ then type the fish name in the Profile Search.

Because it's an American site it sometimes doesn't have the same common names as the UK, so whenever possible, use the latin name.

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2017, 10:26:24 PM »
Hi Matt, Thank You,  Think I have it sorted now.  What do you think if for starters If I stock with 4 Cherry barbs, 6 Ember Tetra's and 4 Five band barbs?

I only want to start small while I work on the larger tank as I am having a unit built for it to go on and my hubby is instaling led lighting in the hood instead of the tube lighting it came with. Then I will get the equipment I need for that, I was looking at the filter that came with the Tank (200L)  it today and it is a All ponds solutions internal filter with UV 700lf+  700 liters per hour is this ok for that size tank? 

p.s.  what do you think of maybe a couple of Sparkling Gourami as well?

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2017, 11:53:45 PM »
ok this is what I have bought so far:

API Aquarium Saltwater Master Test Kit, 550-Piece,
Interpet Aqua Air Pump Aquarium Tropical Coldwater Fish Tank Air pump mini,
HAGEN FLUVAL E 100W ADVANCED ELECTRONIC AQUARIUM HEATER,
TAP AQUARIUM DOCTOR AQUA DECHLORINATOR TREATMENT 100ML,
CLASSIC SMALL BRIDGES 5" AQUARIUM TANK ORNAMENTS,
CLASSIC CORAL GARDEN 5" FOR TANKS & SM BIORBS,
aquarium Double Sided Background Aqua Garden/stone 18".

just got to go to Ikea to get a unit to stand the tank on then I am ready to Go.   ;) ;) :D :D

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2017, 07:10:52 AM »
Slightly worried by the saltwater test kit. I'm not sure if these can be used on freshwater as well as salt as i think the chemicals react differently in freshwater. Sue will know better than me on this one.

Regarding stocking, initially looks fine I'll do a bit more research tonight for you and see if I spot anything you might need to be aware of. I've not much experience with barbs though i must admit.

3.5 times turnover per hour would be considered low to normal in my view.  With it being an external filter there will be plenty of capacity for biological filtration so it should work just fine on your tank.

Offline Sue

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2017, 12:21:03 PM »
I don't know about the test kit. So I have contacted API to ask. The auto response says they should reply within 24 hours.

Personally, I would go with ember tetras and either cherry barbs or five band barb, and more embers and whichever barb you go for. Fish always do better with more than the minimum, and 55 litres isn't really big enough for 3 good sized shoals.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Newbie Hello"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2015, 03:44:20 PM
by Robert
Newbie!!!

Started by Silver633 « 1 2 ... 6 7 » New Fishkeepers

132 Replies
Last post March 22, 2016, 09:27:41 PM
by Fiona
16 Replies
Last post June 28, 2016, 08:18:30 AM
by Mascol
4 Replies
Last post December 20, 2017, 07:53:48 PM
by Fishbeard
19 Replies
Last post September 01, 2018, 05:45:43 PM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post September 20, 2019, 05:33:16 PM
by fcmf
28 Replies
Last post November 24, 2019, 06:19:29 PM
by Bristlenose

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: