Author Topic: New member seeking advice  (Read 4302 times) 23 replies

Offline animal_freeride

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
New member seeking advice
« on: December 29, 2016, 02:13:49 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,

We recently purchased a Leddy 60 (54 litre) tank and we have caught the Tropical Fish bug!

As a result, we have just ordered an Aqua Oak 220 litre tank along with a Fluval 406 external filter and a Eheim Jager 300w heater. The aquarium was on offer so didn't want to miss out on a good deal. The only trouble is, it will be in our lounge for the next 4 months with nothing in it as we are going to decorate the room once winter is out of the way! At least this will give us time to do lots of homework regarding fish stock and to source aquarium ornaments etc.

We are looking to stock the following;

Zebra Loach
Yo Yo Loach
Gold Nugget Plec
Denisoni Barb
Congo Tetra
Leopard Climbing Perch
Pearl Gourami
Golden Gourami
Blue Acara
Angel Fish

We plan to have a rock effect 3D background, white sand and a selection of live plants.

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: New member seeking advice
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 02:35:20 PM »
Hi there. :wave:

This fish malarky can be quite addictive. I'm right there with you.  :-[   ;D

I've got a funny feeling that the tank and filter are the same as I've got for my dwarf puffer tank, and I've been very happy with them. The fish seem quite happy as well.  :)

Do you know what the water is like in your area? Hard, soft? You should be able to find out on your water suppliers website, which will help with the fish stock questions.

Offline animal_freeride

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 02:52:37 PM »
The water comes from Dartmoor and is definitely soft (I have lived in London) which is the opposite end of the scale!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 03:10:10 PM »
Lucky you. I'm in Cambridgeshire and the water here is hard (17dH) and I've had to change a lot of my plans to account for it. Do you know how soft your water is?
Have you had a look at the community creator? Along with the fish profiles (and a look at the information on Seriously Fish http://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ ) it should help you to start putting together your community.
Do you like lots of different fish, or large numbers of fewer species?
I'm not very experienced, but a lot of the other forum users are and will be able to offer good advice.
In the mean time I'll have a rummage around for information of the fish you've listed.
 ;D

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 03:10:55 PM »
Welcome  :wave: and well done for picking up such a good deal and for being wise in terms of waiting until after the room is decorated before filling the tank with water, doing your fishless cycle http://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fishtank-filtration-and-cycling/fishless-cycling-how-to-do-it/ and stocking the tank.

Following Littlefish's point, if you check your water supplier's website, it should be able to give you a specific level of softness/hardness in degrees French/German/Clark which can then be converted into other units of measurement if need be; make a note of the precise measure and unit of measurement for your postcode. As well as the useful fish profiles here http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-profiles, www.seriouslyfish.com gives more specific details in terms of different species' requirements and exact range of hardness which suits them, so it's worth checking your proposed preferences against those for temperature, water hardness, minimum shoal size, etc. http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/calculators/calculators should also be useful for converting whatever the unit of measurement for your water hardness into whatever unit of measurement is for the particular fish species on seriouslyfish.

[Edited to add: oops - a bit of duplication with Littlefish as our posts overlapped. :)]

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 03:14:33 PM »
@fcmf  there is a sale on Aqua Oak tanks at the moment, just in case you might be considering finding enough space for one.  ;)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 03:23:27 PM »
A quick look at the infor on the fish list you provided indicates that they are all good in soft - medium water as part of their comfortable range, which will be good.
As fcmf has mentioned, check on minimum numbers for each species (the more the merrier as it usually makes for more natural shoals and behaviour), and check the temperature reqirements to make sure they are all happy with similar ranges.
I'm looking forward to hearing about your new project.  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 03:51:43 PM »
@fcmf  there is a sale on Aqua Oak tanks at the moment, just in case you might be considering finding enough space for one.  ;)

Thanks for the tip-off; I was looking for an excuse to nip down to the LFS... hmmm, looking around me, perhaps I'd better progress the paper clearout first of all in order to create space for one!
 :fishy1:

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 05:10:35 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Another stunning Aqua Oak tank bought.  :D

For your fish at a glance I'd think the loaches won't get on with each other and will nip the fins on the angel fish.  The blue acara may decide to lunch on the congo tetra.  I think your tank may be 100 cm long by 50 cm wide?  If this is the case many of the fish will be too large for the tank length.  But don't despair!  There are so many pretty fishes out there that will fit. :)

Offline animal_freeride

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 05:17:31 PM »

Yes just ordered from them. I essentially got the Fluval external filter worth £150 for free.

I've already done a fair amount of research and was looking eventually to stock the following numbers;

Zebra Loach x3
Yo Yo Loach X1
Gold Nugget Plec x1
Denisoni Barb x6
Congo Tetra x10
Giant Danio x6
Swordtail x6
Leopard Climbing Perch x1
Pearl Gourami x1
Golden Gourami x1
Banded Gourami x1
Blue Acari x1
Angel Fish x5

This is showing at 98% capacity so may lose the Swordtails to prevent overcrowding. I was initially going to stock with Tetras (already learnt the hard way with our current tank!). Once the tank appears 'stable' I will then start to slowly add the other species.

On that note I was told by the local aquatic centre that stocking the Acara could be problematic but the compatibility checker doesn't show this as a problem?

On a separate matter, I have been mulling over how to carry out water changes for a much larger tank without causing a mess on a new carpet. This may sound odd but I was going to buy a 100 litre aquarium purely as a holding tank to de-chlorinate and heat the water overnight. Then using a 10 litre watering can that we use to top up our current tank, I was going to siphon from the holding tank before pouring into the new tank. I reckon 5 or 6 trips (i.e. 50 to 60 litres) should be sufficient. The use of the watering can sounds bizarre I know but it's so easy to control! I was thinking that the already heated/de-chlorinated water would surely place less stress on the fish?

In terms of emptying 25% water from the tank, as our lounge is on the first floor, I was simply going to use a siphon and empty out of the window onto the pitch roof which is a short distance below.

I am crazy or does this sound like a good idea?!!!

Offline animal_freeride

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 05:21:21 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Another stunning Aqua Oak tank bought.  :D

For your fish at a glance I'd think the loaches won't get on with each other and will nip the fins on the angel fish.  The blue acara may decide to lunch on the congo tetra.  I think your tank may be 100 cm long by 50 cm wide?  If this is the case many of the fish will be too large for the tank length.  But don't despair!  There are so many pretty fishes out there that will fit. :)

Thanks for your reply. Just saw your post after I replied to another member! Yes I may have to lose the Acara as suggested by the aquatic centre. The other species, such as the Angel fish, we were looking to buy as 'tiddlers' so we can watch them grow so to speak and there would be less chance they would munch away at the others! As you say, I may need to reduce numbers to allow for growth.

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 06:59:46 PM »
I'm about to knock holes in your list as well I'm afraid.

The loaches are both shoaling species; you need at least six of just one species, not both.
Denisons barbs are large, fast swimming fish and need a minimum tank length of 120 cm.
Giant danios also need at least 120 cm.
Mixing anabatid species is not a good idea. Choose one of the gouramis or the perch and get 1 male, 2 or 3 females.
Since you have soft water, definitely lose the hard water swordtails.
Angelfish minimum number is 5. They grow big and if a pair form and they spawn, they'll take over at least 3/4 of the tank leaving the rest of the fish huddled in what's left. Angels shouldn't be kept alone; with 2 you might get away with a bonded pair (but see above) or two females; with 2 males one will kill the other; and with a male and female, unless they are bonded one will kill the other. If a shop worker says they can tell which are males and females they are lying (the only way to be 100% certain is when they are mature and their breeding tubes are showing). With 3 or 4, there will be one dominant fish which could kill the subordinate ones. They may be called angels but they are not, they are cichlids.

Finally I would say - don't listed to anything the shop says. Do your own research. The best place to look at the needs of any species is http://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ as Littlefish said. That site gives the size of the fish, the minimum sized tank they need, the water requirements and which other fish they can be mixed with.

Emptying the water out of the window is not a problem provided you keep control of the tube. And you can fill the tank with a watering can if that's how you prefer to do it. With my 180 litre I just fill an 8 litre bucket with a mix of cold tap water and boiling water from the kettle*, add enough dechlorinator to treat 8 litres and decant the water into the tank with a jug. I do cover the floor with an old curtain first, one of those that has a rubber thermal layer on the back which makes it waterproof.

* I use a kettle to boil water because we have a hot water cylinder with a header tank in the attic. With a combi boiler you can use hot tap water to warm the new water. Using hot water from a cylinder has the problem of just what could be inside the header tank.......

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 08:03:49 PM »
@animal_freeride
I think I can see an AquaOak owners club starting up.... I hope you will allow guest memberships :)

I have two growing Blue Acara, at present 8cm exc tail. Nice looking active but tolerant fish at the moment, in with other similarly sized large Cichlids. I also have a dozen small dither fish (3cm Taillight tetra) in the tank. It's all very peaceful, the Tetras are in an open shoal and are comparatively fast so could easily avoid trouble... but I also had a backup tank if there were problems.
I have stocked allowing for them to get to 18cm when adult, and as with the others I would advise caution. I'm really not sure what would happen if there were competition for space and more dinner swimming around.

I also have Zebra loaches in with Altum Angels in a community tank, I have never seen any interaction between the two. They occupy different areas of the tank and don't seem the least interested in each other. The four angels are of course always squabbling between themselves but that's just Angels for you, so a larger number is better to average out the stroppiness. Check which Angels you get because they can also get very large and need both space and a deep tank.
I had swordtails when I first set this tank up, but while they did breed they didn't last beyond 2 years and I was not sure if the soft water really suited them.

I don't know the other fish so I couldn't comment, other then to say I consider fish from the same geographic location when listing potentials, then the swim areas, size and minimum stocking numbers - 45 fish all on the bottom is very different from a mixture of bottom, mid and if you can find them surface.

Oh and where are my manors, welcome to the community :)

Offline animal_freeride

• Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 08:43:25 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. You have provided some really good advice which is exactly why I subscribed to this forum :) As I say, although I've ordered the tank it's not going to be stocked until late spring so gives me plenty of time to decide on my eventual set up.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 10:53:26 PM »
On a separate matter, I have been mulling over how to carry out water changes for a much larger tank without causing a mess on a new carpet. This may sound odd but I was going to buy a 100 litre aquarium purely as a holding tank to de-chlorinate and heat the water overnight. Then using a 10 litre watering can that we use to top up our current tank, I was going to siphon from the holding tank before pouring into the new tank. I reckon 5 or 6 trips (i.e. 50 to 60 litres) should be sufficient. The use of the watering can sounds bizarre I know but it's so easy to control! I was thinking that the already heated/de-chlorinated water would surely place less stress on the fish?

In terms of emptying 25% water from the tank, as our lounge is on the first floor, I was simply going to use a siphon and empty out of the window onto the pitch roof which is a short distance below.

I am crazy or does this sound like a good idea?!!!

I knew there was something I forgot to comment on, note the evil glint in my eye....
You favour the Elizabethan approach to waste disposal - tipping it out the window? If it helps "Gardy Loo" is the correct Scottish phrase to use when, or better just before flinging :)

In addition to a conditioning tank - In my case a plastic rubbish bin with heater and airstone fitted I have a two stage system for filling and water changes.
I have tried a long syphon line but in practice they are not very easy, your mouth is a long way from the tank and it takes a lot of suck to get it going (think before you reply @Littlefish), plus the window sill will be quite high so the hose will take an indirect route.
I now use a 30litre brewing bucket with a submersible sump/pond pump fitted and two separate lengths of garden hose with quick connectors on them. The first short length goes in the tank to syphon water out. I put a bit of water in the bucket to start with and then pump it into the tank for a few seconds - this primes the syphon, then I disconnect the hose and let it drain into the bucket.
Once its started I connect the second longer length that goes to a sink and pump the water out of the bucket. I also vacuum the substrate into this bucket.
To fill, I like to know the volume I have changed so I hand fill the 25litre bucket with a 10 litre buckets and reattach the short hose and pump it up into the tank. The end of the hose is inside a 6" length of 2" PVC waste pipe with a coarse foam filling both ends and some weight in it. This makes it sink, prevents fish getting sucked in when syphoning, keeps it in the tank plus the water doesn't squirt and scare the occupants or disturb the substrate.
The method minimises the bucket miles and keeps all the buckets at low level to reduce the risk of spillages. I refill my rubbish bin using the same method with the big bucket at the sink.

You could also squirt the water out the window if you prefer... :)

Edit. I wish I could find how everybody else adds quotes into replies, maybe its a Microsoft Edge thing, but it just shows up as normal text when I try.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 11:01:20 PM »
@animal_freeride  I've not got a huge amount to add about the stocking plans over and above what already been mentioned but thought I would pick up on the issue of water changes you mentioned. 

You're absolutely right to consider this with a tank of this size. My personal plans in this space when I upgrade are to buy a 'water change pump' to assist with the 'lugging around of water from one place to another' and you may wish to consider how to get the water from you water source to the tank (including your smaller tank).  An alternative that a lot of people swear by are "pythons" which attach to your tap and can be used to both put water into the tank or to remove it as per a gravel cleaner.  This may be a good purchase for you.  If you have a combi boiler and a mixer tap you could use water straight from the tap adding the dechlorinator at the beginning.  If you are on a hot water cylinder you would need to find another way to heat the water such as via a kettle; your smaller aquarium would obviously achieve this goal too.  Be interested to see what else you find out on this topic as it's one I probably need to do a bit more research on myself.

Added: Oops crossover with Andy's post..

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 11:55:44 PM »
A bit of detail on the issue of water from a hot water cylinder.

@Sue and I agree on the risks but for different reasons. Sue's concerns are around dead pigeons (or in Littlefish's case, murdered Squirrels) in the cold water header tank. I worry about copper contamination (and the Zinc/Aluminium sacrificial anode they used to be fitted with) while storing water at high temperature for long periods in the cylinder itself killing tank invertebrates.

To minimise the risks the header tank can (in fact must) be sealed against rodents, and if you don't keep shrimp or snails the water might be okay to use.
Combi boilers don't suffer from either of these problems, often the heat exchangers are stainless steel and the water comes straight from the mains so it is just chlorine that has to be dealt with as with the cold supply.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 08:01:40 AM »
I've been using a syphon and bucket to remove water, and 5L water bottles to replace the water.
It takes a lot of time and effort (and towels), so will be seriously considering changing this now I've got the larger tanks.
Luckily I do have a combi boiler though.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 09:30:09 AM »
A bit of detail on the issue of water from a hot water cylinder.

@Sue and I agree on the risks but for different reasons. Sue's concerns are around dead pigeons (or in Littlefish's case, murdered Squirrels) in the cold water header tank. I worry about copper contamination (and the Zinc/Aluminium sacrificial anode they used to be fitted with) while storing water at high temperature for long periods in the cylinder itself killing tank invertebrates.

To minimise the risks the header tank can (in fact must) be sealed against rodents, and if you don't keep shrimp or snails the water might be okay to use.
Combi boilers don't suffer from either of these problems, often the heat exchangers are stainless steel and the water comes straight from the mains so it is just chlorine that has to be dealt with as with the cold supply.

Hmmmm, our header tank just has a layer of some sort of padding covered in black plastic resting on the top of the tank, nothing else. Anything could get into it.
When did the requirement to rodent-proof the tank come in? Our house was built in 1991.

As for quoting posts, I can't type here exactly what to do or it'll turn into a quote, so replace {} with [] and try this.
{quote} text you want to quote {/quote} It won't give the person's name but you can always type that in yourself. This works for emoticons with MS Edge so it might work for quotes.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 10:23:44 AM »
@Sue
Thanks, I tried this with just the square brackets and copy paste the text in as a test, it previews as everything in the message is a quote so I have probably made a mess of it again - lets see what happens when I post
I have been trying the Insert Quote but it doesn't seem to do anything

[As for quoting posts, I can't type here exactly what to do or it'll turn into a quote, so replace {} with [] and try this.]

The plastic covered padding is for insulation only. Poor insulation at that, so tanks are uninsulated on the base to allow heat to leak from the ceiling below and prevent freezing. Tisk - our building practices!
The protection should be mechanical - a solid lid that snaps on tight and has no openings other than the flanged pipe entries, I think overflow pipe (the one that runs to the eaves should also have a mesh bung to prevent wasps. I don't know when this was written into building regs but there will be no inspection at this level so of course corners will be cut. Tisk - our building practices !

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New member seeking advice"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post February 24, 2014, 09:12:01 AM
by Robert
5 Replies
Last post October 25, 2016, 05:33:16 AM
by Wil7985
3 Replies
Last post March 06, 2017, 07:36:11 PM
by fcmf
6 Replies
Last post March 22, 2018, 01:01:41 AM
by brush439
12 Replies
Last post July 22, 2018, 06:55:47 PM
by norie_uk
17 Replies
Last post August 23, 2019, 10:18:58 PM
by dwindstr
18 Replies
Last post August 31, 2019, 06:20:12 PM
by MDW

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: