Filter Confusion.

Author Topic: Filter confusion.  (Read 3176 times) 7 replies

Offline TheCannyScot

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Filter confusion.
« on: June 27, 2019, 11:36:13 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi folks, my name is Alan, but prefer to be known as Snoops. I'm 66 years young and although I live in North Wales, I am a proud Scot. I am a newbie to the group but not to keeping fish. Twenty years ago I kept a variety of central american cichlids in a 72x24x30in tank. Back then I was fully fit but am now disabled due to a serious m/c accident. Because of my restricted mobility, I have bought a second hand Aquastyle 620 and I am somewhat confused by its filtration system.
Looking down on the system, it seems that the spray bar only feeds onto the first and larger of the two filtration areas. I managed to find a video on YT which showed this. It explained that the water then flowed under the plastic partition into the second area and from there over a lip and back into the tank. My confusion lies in the fact that after flowing under the central partition, it would seem that it then has to flow in a reverse route through the different media before returning to the tank. Also, as the lip over which it flows before returning to the tank is lower than the carbon/floss cartridge, does it only pass through the ceramic noodles, and black carbon mesh before going over the lip??
Sorry about the description, but it's the easiest way for me to describe the issue.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Filter confusion.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 12:46:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum Snoops!

Sounds like a fairly standard setup from what I can understand (could you attach a picture?). The water is directed in the way through the media to ensure that all the flow passes through it laminally (not sure if that words quite right) meaning in a straight line through it, so the treatment is as effective as possible.  What does sound odd is the carbon cartridge - good news is that this not really needed long term!

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 01:22:45 PM »
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

I'm not familiar with those tanks, I think I might have to spend some time later today having a look for them.

What are your plans for the tank?

Offline TheCannyScot

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 04:18:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum Snoops!

Sounds like a fairly standard setup from what I can understand (could you attach a picture?). The water is directed in the way through the media to ensure that all the flow passes through it laminally (not sure if that words quite right) meaning in a straight line through it, so the treatment is as effective as possible.  What does sound odd is the carbon cartridge - good news is that this not really needed long term!

There is a short video on YT which shows a very similar filter set up to mine. The only difference is that the floss on mine is contained alongside some carbon pellets in two cartridges, but the same principles apply. My confusion lies in the fact that the water flows downward through the first cartridge and then in a reverse direction through the second. I fail to see how the floss on top of the second one can be having much effect of the filtration process.
As external links are prohibited the video is entitled "How to stop aqua one aquarium top filters from leaking!"
Hopefully you will be able to see why I am confused.

Offline TheCannyScot

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 04:24:14 PM »
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

I'm not familiar with those tanks, I think I might have to spend some time later today having a look for them.

What are your plans for the tank?

Hi there, I only intend to set up a small community tank, so perhaps some neons, danios, corydoras, pencilfish, zebra danio, cherry barbs.
Here is the title of a YT video which will show you the lid filter set-up.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 06:27:08 PM »
You're welcome to provide links but I've watched the video now and completely agree that the floss in the second chamber is having limited impact on the filtration process. I hadn't envisaged it horizontally as it is... I would get rid!!

Offline TheCannyScot

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 08:57:13 PM »
You're welcome to provide links but I've watched the video now and completely agree that the floss in the second chamber is having limited impact on the filtration process. I hadn't envisaged it horizontally as it is... I would get rid!!
Thanks Matt, I did copy/paste the YT video web address but I got a pop-up telling me I couldn't attach a link to an outside site. Maybe that was my error, trying to attach it as an attachment.
Regardless of that, yes I think I will dispose of the floss.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 08:40:24 AM »
No worries, for reference for next time, or if anyone else is struggling, hyperlinks can be added here:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Filter confusion."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
66 Replies
Last post March 04, 2013, 03:31:33 PM
by Mervyn
5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 02:54:44 PM
by suep
1 Replies
Last post July 29, 2014, 01:46:23 PM
by ColinB
2 Replies
Last post November 19, 2014, 10:27:05 PM
by biffster
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2015, 07:07:22 PM
by bferg4
9 Replies
Last post May 23, 2017, 12:14:22 AM
by TrenchyLs
8 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 08:41:16 AM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: