Author Topic: Hey from Manchester area  (Read 3265 times) 9 replies

Offline shakyj

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Hey from Manchester area
« on: January 16, 2017, 03:03:48 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hey,

I'm still fairly new to the tropical fishkeeping game but I'm on my second tank already. We had a 94L one and have a 300L one now.
Fish List:
1 x Spotted Hoplo - fully grown from the size of him
5 x Tiger Barbs - More to come
5 Mollys - 2 black, 2 orange ones, 1 sailfin
1 x Featherfin Synodontis - 6 months old but massive
1 x bristlenose plec
5 Ruby Barbs
1 Assassin Snail - I keep thinking he's gone then he pops up again

I have one question I started posting for I might as well put in here. We got a used 300L tank with a filter that the seller had new media for so I cycled with that but the filter is on it's way out by the sound of it(still running for now).
What's the best way to switch over to a new filter? Keep them both in till the bacteria settles on the new one?

On the same note too. Any opinions on the Fluval 406 Canister Filter?

Cheers

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Spotted Hoplo (1) - Tiger Barb (7) - Black Molly (5) - Sailfin Molly (2) - Featherfin Catfish (1) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Ruby Barb (5) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Hey from Manchester area
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 04:33:43 PM »
Hi shaky, welcome to the forum  :wave:

Fluval 406 is quite highly regarded as a cannister (external).

When swapping filters the easiest thing is to put all the older, mature media into the new filter. You will lose a few bacteria in the biofilm on the old filter's casing but that would only be a very small proportion of the total bacteria in the tank. Old sponges can be cut up to make them fit, if necessary.

Are you thinking of the 406 to replace the old filter? What is the failing one? I'm sure you can 'persuade' the old media to fit, especially if you leave out the carbon (which isn't necessary) and put some old media in its place if you need more room for the old media.

The problem with running 2 filters for a few weeks is that the bacteria are quite happy where they are, they won't move into the new filter just because it is there.

Offline shakyj

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 05:05:54 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.

I couldn't tell you what the old one is. It looks off brand and old with no markings. So the 406 would replace it as I don't plan on stocking the tank to a high level enough to need something hefty and the 406 is rated to 400L

That could probably work if I can get the old media to replace what I can of the the 406 media then just add the 406 media in bit by bit every month.

I have a few weeks now as I don't plan on replacing the old one till payday unless it completely dies and needs must. Would it be a good idea to put some filter sponges in the tank for now to give me more to work with?

Spotted Hoplo (1) - Tiger Barb (7) - Black Molly (5) - Sailfin Molly (2) - Featherfin Catfish (1) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Ruby Barb (5) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 05:10:22 PM »
Unless you put in sponges that you intend putting in the new filter when you get it, I wouldn't bother to be honest. Using old media is by far the most effective way.

Offline shakyj

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 05:17:24 PM »
My local doesn't stock filters for larger tanks so I would have to travel to Stockport where I will get the 406 from to get some 406 filters for it to do that so I will probably just stick the media I have in now.

Thanks for the advice

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 08:54:57 PM »
Hi there and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

Multiple tanks already - you'll fit in well here.  ;D

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 09:29:59 PM »
Welcome, Shakyj!  :wave:

Offline ColinB

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 07:25:32 AM »
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 05:40:23 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline shakyj

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 11:45:17 AM »
So I ended up just getting this and buying some new foams for it as the ones with it are all floss and one on each basket which is just weird. Nothing could even compete at that price when you are just looking at the hardware alone and not the media

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Hey from Manchester area"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post January 05, 2013, 05:23:10 PM
by ColR1948
19 Replies
Last post August 31, 2016, 04:15:42 PM
by Fiona
12 Replies
Last post June 15, 2017, 06:28:51 AM
by Littlefish
17 Replies
Last post February 06, 2018, 10:28:32 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: