Author Topic: Hi  (Read 3162 times) 11 replies

Offline Trekfan

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Hi
« on: May 20, 2017, 11:43:08 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi
I have returned to the Realm of fish keeping after a 5 year gap so I am a blank canvas
The tank will be a lido 120
The substrate small gravel
The fish probably community
Any help suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 01:14:21 PM »
Welcome, Trekfan!  :wave:

The best 3 courses of action which you could take at this stage would be:
(i) have a read through this https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fishtank-filtration-and-cycling/fishless-cycling-how-to-do-it/ which will help you get the tank, and especially the filter, prepared for the fish
(ii) buy a good quality, liquid-based water testing kit, measuring ammonia, nitrite and nitrate
(iii) check your local water supplier's website to find out what water hardness you have in actual measurements (not just "moderately hard" or "very soft") - this may be in degrees Clark/French/German or other units of measurement - and let us know what it states as this will help us provide suggestions on suitable fish to suit your water.

Looking forward to being able to help further.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 02:07:44 PM »
A peaceful community tank is a rewarding way of getting back into the hobby and can make a good visual statement.  With the Lido 120 you'll be looking to make use of the height so a top/mid group (11 members) of 3 - 4 cm fish would look good.  Depends on your water parameters.

Possible fish (not a complete list):
Tetras, Guppies, Rasboras, Mollies, Pencilfish, Glassfish, Platies, Minnows, Danios, Small Barbs

Sometimes the best place to start is with what fish you want to be the tank boss.  Usually this would be larger species that could be kept in pairs of small groups and up to around 6 cm for your tank.  Then build the tank and small fish and deco around it.  Many of these would dominate the lower level of the tank.

Possible fish:
Gouramies, Apistogrammas, Rams

Then you can add a bit more with snails or shrimp.  I only usually add these to serve a purpose.  For example, if I want to keep algae in check I'd throw in some Amano shrimp or I have a fish that eats high protein food and I want some help keeping the substrate clear some Assassin snails.

Have a think about if you want a more natural looking aquarium with lots of live plants, wood, and rock or if you want something more decorative with ornaments.  Think about what you're putting in and why.  A tank full of mixed male guppies and skittle shrimp (a mix of neocardinia davidi of all shiny colours) is one eye catching way to go and makes a bright and bold statement.  A shoaling species of fish can be equally as much fun as they zoom around together.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 04:26:20 PM »
Hi there @Trekfan and welcome to the forum  :wave:

Glad you've come back to fish keeping, and planning a new tank is an exciting time.
As @fcmf has mentioned, if you check what water you have with your supplier and let us know we will be more than happy to offer suggestions.  :)

Offline Trekfan

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 04:48:18 PM »
Thanks I will, I have a large aquatic centre 10 mins from my house so I will ask them about the water, never thought to do that in the past, 1st great tip,I'm sure there will be many more.  Thanks

Offline Trekfan

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 05:15:45 PM »
I live in a Hard water area

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 06:39:01 PM »
Me too.
My Cambridgeshire water is 17dH, which ruled out a lot of the fish I originally wanted. I found this article quite useful.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/fwhardness.htm
I have also found that a lot of the commercially farmed fish are more tolerant of hard water than the wild caught ones, and there are a lot of lovely fish suitable for hard water.  ;D

Offline TrenchyLs

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 12:49:28 PM »
I have also found that a lot of the commercially farmed fish are more tolerant of hard water than the wild caught ones.  ;D
This is true.  Also, ask your LFS what water they are using.  All of the shops in my area are using local water (Lincolnshire, so fairly-to-very hard and pH of 7+) and their stocks are flourishing.  So far all the fish I've bought are doing just fine with minimal acclimatisation before going into my tank.

I would be more wary if shopping on-line though as there's a greater risk of them being raised in drastically different water.

Hard water also seems to be a little more forgiving for newbies like me thanks to the increased buffering  8)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 02:09:25 PM »
Just to add to this... hard water wont kill a soft water fish whilst its in the store for a short period... Being kept in hard water for extended periods will eventually lead to kidney failure in soft water fish, so please don't assume all fish in your local store will be fine in your water. Also, use the local water suppliers website to find out if your store has the same water as you using the postcode of your home and the store in their water quality section. Same town doesn't necessarily mean same water.

Offline TrenchyLs

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 02:25:03 PM »
Just to add to this... hard water wont kill a soft water fish whilst its in the store for a short period... Being kept in hard water for extended periods will eventually lead to kidney failure in soft water fish, so please don't assume all fish in your local store will be fine in your water.

Oh. That's a sobering thought.  :-\

Frantically checked Seriouslyfish and everything is OK although the Panda Corys are right on the limit.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 03:01:16 PM »
And to add that some shops in hard water areas use tap/RO mixed water in their tanks to reduce the hardness.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 04:30:33 PM »
I agree that soft water fish shouldn't be kept in hard water long term, and I've avoided fish for very soft water. However, I am keeping fish that are for water outside of my water parameters. I did get some advice before doing so, and the experienced keepers on this forum provided a lot of information.
My water supplier quotes figures of 17dH german, 322 ppm. I have bristlenose plecs that seriously fish say are 18 - 268ppm, some of my tetras are for water around 215 ppm or lower, and I wouldn't be without my panda cories.
The majority of my fish are for harder water though.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: