Hello From Cardiff, Wales

Author Topic: Hello from Cardiff, Wales  (Read 13791 times) 84 replies

Offline BT Bob

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Hello from Cardiff, Wales
« on: March 16, 2018, 06:02:34 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi everyone - I'm new to this Forum, and new(wish) for fish-keeping.
Quick background - Had an aquarium 20-odd years ago when my kids were little, but had to get rid of it when my then-3-y-o daughter decided it would be a hoot to try to climb into the tank!!

Fast-forward to January and I'm on honeymoon in Australia, staying with my brother who has an aquarium and we got quite enthralled with it, especially the new Mrs BTB.

So, when we got back home, we started to research getting one. After some furniture re-arrangement and lots of finger-tapping we bought a Juwel Rio 180, put some sand, a few plants and some rocks in filled it up and left it for a week. I also bought a lump of bogwood which I left soaking in the garage in a bucket of water for a week with a water-change every 2 days.

Then began adding fish: starting off with 5 Harlequin Rasboras.
A week-on, we added 5 more and a pair of Bristlenose Plecs. Around this time, we spotted a snail, despite washing, it must've sneaked in on one of the plants. Looks like there's still just the one, and he seems pretty happy - he's growing and zips about all over the tank.
About 10 days after (would've been a week, but got snowed-in ;) )we added 10 Neon Tetras and a pair of Black Corydoras.

So, this is where we are now.

Going forward, I'm thinking we should a couple more Black Corys - everywhere I've read (after the event) says they should be at least 4 of them. Then we'd like some "specimen" fish - I really like the look of Red-Tailed Black Sharks, but not sure how compatible they might be - even just a single one. we're also very taken with Electric Blue Rams - a pair would look great - and the Bolivian Rams - again a pair would be great.
If we went own the Ram-route, not sure if we could have a pair of each - I'm not certain how territorial they would be.

Anyway - that's me for now. Glad to be part of this community.

Offline TopCookie

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka: Pierre
Re: Hello from Cardiff, Wales
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 06:53:49 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Greetings Bob and welcome to the forum... 

I have family in Cardiff myself, in Llanishen there...  :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 07:08:20 PM »
And I went to university in Cardiff, many decades ago - that's where I met my husband  :)

Red tailed black sharks are difficult to build a community around http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/epalzeorhynchos-bicolor/ Personally, I would rather avoid fish that dictate what else I can have  ::)

Only one species of cichlid in this sized tank. Which type of ram will depend on your water. Unless it is soft and acidic, go for Bolivian rams. This species is hard to sex in juveniles - fish in shops are juveniles - and rams must choose their own mates. Unless their breeding tubes are visible, you will need to select a pair carefully. The recommended way is to stand in front of the shop tank, motionless. Eventually the fish will forget you are there and behave normally. The males will be pushing at each other. The females will just get on with life. Any female is allowed to stay near a male without him showing any signs of chasing her away is more likely to be a bonded pair. More likely, not guaranteed.
If you do have soft acidic water (I lived in Cardiff in the 1970's and didn't take much notice of hardness back then) rams would be OK. These are easier to sex in the standard blue form as females have a pinkish belly. Gold and electric blue are trickier.

Don't worry about snails - they are an important part of a tank eco system, unless they take over. Too much fish food is the usual cause of too many snails. I have nerites and Malaysian trumpet snails (which I paid for) and tiny ramshorns and 'pond' snails (which came on plants).

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 07:48:47 PM »
Welcome :wave:

How lovely that you and the new Mrs BTB are both enjoying this new(/ish) hobby. The tank and its inhabitants sound great and you're correct, corydoras are usually advised to be kept in numbers; as well as our own Fish Profiles section on this website, another reliable but more up-to-date source is Seriously Fish and it recommends 6+ for the particular species you have (http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/corydoras-semiaquilis/).

If you don't have one already, then I'd strongly advise buying a test kit which measures ammonia, nitrite, nitrates and PH. Monitoring these regularly helps ensure that the tank water quality is in optimum condition - this isn't visible to the eye - and will be particularly helpful at this stage as you're adding more stock to your tank and may need to monitor more regularly than usual. Once the tank is more established, then you'll be able to reduce monitoring water quality to weekly pre- scheduled water change. Any liquid-based test kits are good eg API, JBL, Waterlife, etc.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures in due course.  :fishy1:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 09:07:13 PM »
Hi there and welcome to the forum.  :wave:
I am originally from Cardiff and head back their to visit family & friends on a fairly regular basis.
I'm also looking forward to seeing pics of your tank.  :)

Offline BT Bob

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 10:02:55 PM »
Greetings Bob and welcome to the forum... 

I have family in Cardiff myself, in Llanishen there...  :)
Thanks for the welcome. I know it well - I'm in Culverhouse Cross area - nicely close the the Maidenhead Aquatics store in Wenvoe :)

Offline BT Bob

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 10:03:59 PM »
And I went to university in Cardiff, many decades ago - that's where I met my husband  :)

Red tailed black sharks are difficult to build a community around http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/epalzeorhynchos-bicolor/ Personally, I would rather avoid fish that dictate what else I can have  ::)

Only one species of cichlid in this sized tank. Which type of ram will depend on your water. Unless it is soft and acidic, go for Bolivian rams. This species is hard to sex in juveniles - fish in shops are juveniles - and rams must choose their own mates. Unless their breeding tubes are visible, you will need to select a pair carefully. The recommended way is to stand in front of the shop tank, motionless. Eventually the fish will forget you are there and behave normally. The males will be pushing at each other. The females will just get on with life. Any female is allowed to stay near a male without him showing any signs of chasing her away is more likely to be a bonded pair. More likely, not guaranteed.
If you do have soft acidic water (I lived in Cardiff in the 1970's and didn't take much notice of hardness back then) rams would be OK. These are easier to sex in the standard blue form as females have a pinkish belly. Gold and electric blue are trickier.

Don't worry about snails - they are an important part of a tank eco system, unless they take over. Too much fish food is the usual cause of too many snails. I have nerites and Malaysian trumpet snails (which I paid for) and tiny ramshorns and 'pond' snails (which came on plants).

Hi Sue - thanks for the advice - excellent.. :)

Offline BT Bob

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 10:05:50 PM »
Welcome :wave:

How lovely that you and the new Mrs BTB are both enjoying this new(/ish) hobby. The tank and its inhabitants sound great and you're correct, corydoras are usually advised to be kept in numbers; as well as our own Fish Profiles section on this website, another reliable but more up-to-date source is Seriously Fish and it recommends 6+ for the particular species you have (http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/corydoras-semiaquilis/).

If you don't have one already, then I'd strongly advise buying a test kit which measures ammonia, nitrite, nitrates and PH. Monitoring these regularly helps ensure that the tank water quality is in optimum condition - this isn't visible to the eye - and will be particularly helpful at this stage as you're adding more stock to your tank and may need to monitor more regularly than usual. Once the tank is more established, then you'll be able to reduce monitoring water quality to weekly pre- scheduled water change. Any liquid-based test kits are good eg API, JBL, Waterlife, etc.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures in due course.  :fishy1:
Thanks for the advice and link.
Yes - I have the API kit and keep a close eye as we add new fish - slow and steady is the way forward, I think.

Offline BT Bob

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 10:08:08 PM »
Hi there and welcome to the forum.  :wave:
I am originally from Cardiff and head back their to visit family & friends on a fairly regular basis.
I'm also looking forward to seeing pics of your tank.  :)
Thanks for the welcome.

Yes - I'll get some pics up over the weekend.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 10:08:45 PM »
Welcome  :cheers:

I'm also a massive fan of rams  :fishy1:

Can't recommend getting a test kit highly enough...  it sounds from your description like you may be mid way through a fish-in cycle.  The plants will be helping keep your water quality ok but I would also strongly suggest having a read of this:
https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fishtank-filtration-and-cycling/fish-in-cycling-with-fish-how-to-do-it/

Any chance we could see a photo of your setup??  (Its not like anyone has mentioned this already lol)

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 11:55:26 PM »

What were you subject(s) Sue...?  My father was a lecturer at Cardiff Uni while you were there...  :)

Any chance we could see a photo of your setup??  (Its not like anyone has mentioned this already lol)

Ditto that...!!!   :D

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 08:43:19 AM »
If your father was there in the 70s he would know that the Faculty of Science had an unusual degree structure - 3 subjects equally in Part 1, then choose your degree subject based on the end of year exam results not what you applied to study. For single subject degrees: in Part 2.1 - two subjects split two thirds (degree subject) and one third (auxiliary subject); then Part 2.2 one subject only.

Part 1 - chemistry, biochemistry, zoology
Part 2.1 - chemistry, biochemistry
Part 2.2 - chemistry

My husband was also a chemistry student  :) (but with physics & maths, then physics)

Offline BT Bob

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 01:12:37 PM »
Welcome  :cheers:

I'm also a massive fan of rams  :fishy1:

Can't recommend getting a test kit highly enough...  it sounds from your description like you may be mid way through a fish-in cycle.  The plants will be helping keep your water quality ok but I would also strongly suggest having a read of this:
https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fishtank-filtration-and-cycling/fish-in-cycling-with-fish-how-to-do-it/

Thanks for the welcome Matt.

No - I made sure the tank was cycled before I put any fish in.
I've also used Quick Start when I've added fish, and Tap Safe when I've done water changes. I've been recommended Seachem Prime going forward, as apparently it's good stuff, and great value as you only need a small amount.

I'll post some photos - got some on my phone so need to post from there. :)

Offline BT Bob

• Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 01:34:54 PM »
Some photos, as promised...

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 02:11:09 PM »
The problem with Prime is that it contains a whole ton of chemicals and Seachem won't say what's in it. While it is fine for use during a fish-in cycle to protect the fish from ammonia and nitrite poisoning, it is not something I would use afterwards. All the chemicals we add to a tank end up inside the fish, so the less we add the better.

If you want a concentrated dechlorinator, and your water company uses chlorine rather than chloramine, the best one is API Tap Water Conditioner. All this contains is a chemical to remove chlorine and another to bind metals. Nothing else. But when the water company adds chloramine, you do need a dechlorinator which also detoxifies ammonia until the filter bacteria have had chance to 'eat' the ammonia from the chloramine.
Smaller bottles of API Tap Water Conditioner(1 ml per 60 litres dose rate) need 1 drop per 3.75 litres. Larger bottles (1 ml per 76 litres dose rate) need 1 drop per 4.75 litres. I use 2 drops per bucket (I can't lift a very large bucket of water)
The only problem is that not many shops stock it so I get mine on-line.

Offline BT Bob

• Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2018, 04:16:56 PM »
The problem with Prime is that it contains a whole ton of chemicals and Seachem won't say what's in it. While it is fine for use during a fish-in cycle to protect the fish from ammonia and nitrite poisoning, it is not something I would use afterwards. All the chemicals we add to a tank end up inside the fish, so the less we add the better.

If you want a concentrated dechlorinator, and your water company uses chlorine rather than chloramine, the best one is API Tap Water Conditioner. All this contains is a chemical to remove chlorine and another to bind metals. Nothing else. But when the water company adds chloramine, you do need a dechlorinator which also detoxifies ammonia until the filter bacteria have had chance to 'eat' the ammonia from the chloramine.
Smaller bottles of API Tap Water Conditioner(1 ml per 60 litres dose rate) need 1 drop per 3.75 litres. Larger bottles (1 ml per 76 litres dose rate) need 1 drop per 4.75 litres. I use 2 drops per bucket (I can't lift a very large bucket of water)
The only problem is that not many shops stock it so I get mine on-line.

Thanks @Sue - really useful advice. :)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 05:35:26 PM »
Nice tank!  8)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2018, 06:49:26 PM »
Thanks for posting pics of your lovely tank.  :cheers:

Offline BT Bob

• Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 07:57:40 PM »

Offline BT Bob

• Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2018, 07:58:17 PM »
Thanks for posting pics of your lovely tank.  :cheers:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Hello from Cardiff, Wales"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post September 15, 2016, 07:08:19 PM
by Littlefish
16 Replies
Last post December 13, 2017, 02:31:04 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: