Hello From Aberdeenshire

Author Topic: Hello from Aberdeenshire  (Read 3064 times) 6 replies

Offline Garvie92

• Tropical Fish Forum User
Hello from Aberdeenshire
« on: October 22, 2018, 01:34:51 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello

Currently have a few goldfish and weather loaches.  Looking to get into tropical fish so have bought a 150l tank to see the goldfish out(they are about 6 years old) after reading up think I might start with a few tetra and Molly's and dwarf rainbow fish but need to do more research. 

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Hello from Aberdeenshire
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 08:03:38 PM »
Hi, welcome to the forum  :wave:

It is definitely worth researching before buying - saves a lot of stress later  :)

Just to warn you that mollies and most rainbows need hard water while most tetras need soft water. Hardness and minimum tank size are the first things to check up on.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 08:23:14 PM »
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 10:36:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum  :wave:

Oh, goldfish - I'm envious as I have a huge soft spot for them. How many do you have and what type? You might find this website http://injaf.org/aquarium-fish/the-goldfish-section/ useful for goldfish care and hopefully you'll have them for many years to come.

In terms of tropicals, what size of tank are you planning for them? As for your water hardness which Sue mentions, and which should help determine types of fish will most suit your water, you should be able to find this out from the hardness data link at
https://www.scottishwater.co.uk/you-and-your-home/water-quality/waterqualitysearch

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 08:34:00 AM »
Welcome  :wave:

Are you putting the goldfish in the 150 litre for now? Let us know if you want some tips for ensuring the move goes successfully... most important thing is to transfer the biological media in your filter with them...

My childhood goldfish passed away last week. :'(  I can't quite recall how many years it lived but it was probably getting on for 20 years! That said Google tells me the average is 5 to 10 years in the aquarium. (They live longer in the wild which is interesting!) And apparently they can live over 40 years!!

If you want to start the transition to tropical fish early there are many fish which could go with the goldfish in a cool tank and then be transitioned to tropical... quite a bit of research required if you want to do this but I'm happy to help if you want... again just let me know!!  ;D

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 09:04:24 PM »
My childhood goldfish passed away last week. :'(  I can't quite recall how many years it lived but it was probably getting on for 20 years!
Very sorry indeed to learn of this, @Matt; I remember you mentioning him at the beginning and I was wondering a while back if he was still going strong. Sincere condolences.  :'(

If you want to start the transition to tropical fish early there are many fish which could go with the goldfish in a cool tank and then be transitioned to tropical... quite a bit of research required if you want to do this but I'm happy to help if you want... again just let me know!!  ;D
A good rule of thumb, @Garvie92, though, is that if a fish fits in a fish's mouth at all, then it will probably at least attempt to eat/snack on it, and with goldfish being large and having voracious appetites, you need to be particularly careful.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 12:12:29 PM »
@Matt  so sorry to hear about your goldfish.  :(
He'd been with you for such a long time.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: