Author Topic: Hello Folks...  (Read 11062 times) 58 replies

Offline TopCookie

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka: Pierre
Hello Folks...
« on: March 07, 2018, 09:49:33 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Greetings folks...

My name is Pierre and am new to the forum and new to the hobby of fish keeping...  Started out in January of this year and have an AquaVogue 170 with Pristella, Red Phantom & Cardinal Tetras, a single Lemon BN Plec and four Corydoras Ornatus...  Keeping them company are a dozen Amano shrimp and three Rabbit snails... 

Getting a lot of enjoyment from the hobby and an almost equal measure of frustration at times, but I guess the two go hand in hand with fish keeping...  :)

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Hello Folks...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 01:14:51 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Welcome, Pierre  :wave:

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your tank (and I'll keep them hidden from my own fish, as my own pristella tetras will be very envious of the larger size of your tank  :) ).

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 02:03:49 PM »
Hi Pierre, welcome to the forum.

We are a nosey bunch, we love photos  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 06:43:00 PM »
Hi there and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 10:37:27 PM »
Thank you for the welcome folks...  :) 

Please excuse the phone pic Sue, but this is about as good as my photography skills get... 

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 10:41:53 PM »
The Pristellas have a canny knack of knowing you're trying to photograph them, the little blighters...!!!  No sooner do you put the phone away, out they all come again...   :vcross:

Probably my favourite fish so far actually, and can't help thinking they are probably underrated far too much, with being a cheap and widely available Tetra etc...  Fantastic character they have and love to "play" in the filter outflow current sometimes...  Great fun to sit and watch when they do that...  Then at other times, they will all randomly school up with the Cardinal Tetras...  that doesn't happen especially often, but it's lovely to see when it does...  :)   Great little fish...

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 10:45:07 PM »
Here's a slightly better peep at the rather handsome (imo) Ornatus Corys...

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 09:05:18 AM »
I love your tank  :) (and we don't mind how technically good a photo is as long as we can see the fish and plants etc  ;D ) My gouramis are just the same when I get the camera out.

Those cories are gorgeous!

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 09:48:16 AM »
Thank you Sue...   :D 

Fascinating hobby this, and feels like no two days are the same...  That tank shot is a week or so ago and has had water changes and plant trimming since then, so looks quite different now...  One thing that really had me going is the appearance of micro-critters, such as those diddy little swimmy/darty things, little white round worms and freshwater limpets...  all of which the fish will eat when they spot them...  You don't see many, but was a shock to notice them for the first time...  For a moment, I thought I had managed to get the awful planaria, but the micro-worms are definitely not planaria, thankfully...  I've calmed down after that initial shock and realise that basically it's best to just think of them as part of the clean up crew, provided their numbers remain in check... 

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 10:56:29 AM »
A lot of people worry when they spot something they didn't put in the tank - snails are the usual things and it can take a lot of convincing that they are actually good for a tank. The way to stop these "invaders" taking over is to be careful not to overfeed the fish. Population control is much better than chemical eradication  :)

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 03:09:56 PM »
I did get some pest snails, which I suspect came from the Java Fern log, a later addition to the tank...  I just picked 'em out as they appeared, none were very big at all...  Over time, I kept seeing less and less of them...  The last one I saw must have been at least a full week - maybe a tad more - since seeing the last before that...  I'm fairly confident that there's not likely to be an explosion of them, for now at least, and will keep taking them out if/when I see another...  At the rate of appearance, I don't actually mind them so much to be honest, it's just the notion that taking your eye off the ball could result in dozens of the little blighters... 

Talking of snails, I do have the three Rabbit snails, one a little bambina, and would like to add another snail but this time not another Rabbit...  The one that sounds ideal as a good solid detritivore would be the Black Helmet Nerite, but I am so put off by the sesame seed eggs you tend to get with Nerites...  Other options include Faunus snails, I especially like the Cappuccino variety, but can't seem to find much info on these great looking snails, beyond some basics... 

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 04:20:39 PM »
Good detrivores are Malaysian trumpet snails  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 07:14:22 PM »
Your tank is stunning - and the pic itself is good quality, so no cause for concern - and the cories adorable.

As for nerites' sesame seed eggs, that only seems to come with the females. There is a way of working out males .v. females (I'll have to dig out the detail but will add it into this post when I find it), if you were able to buy them from a shop and investigate. Pro-Shrimp is an extremely helpful company and where I got my nerite from - it might be that they'd be able to identify a male for you to circumvent the issue of ending up with a female.

[Edited to add: found the picture I was thinking of but it doesn't credit the source and therefore I'm not sure how 'bona fide' it is, so best not to add - sorry.]

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 12:54:26 AM »
Thank you too fcmf... 

I have actually been in touch with Sebastian at Pro-Shrimp to ask the same question...  His reply was frank and honest too...  It's an LFS that's definitely doable from where I live, in Belper, so I may well go for a visit sometime soon, especially when over on a vist to the closer Wharf Aquatics there...  Blimey, I would love to be guaranteed a male Nerite, but understand that it's very tricky indeed to identify genders with Nerites...  Pro-Shrimp are actually out of stock with many of the snail varieties that appeal to me at the moment, which is a pity, but there will be new stock soon enough no doubt...  I can see me ending up with more Rabbit snails in the end, and while they do reproduce in FW aquariums, I believe the rate is pretty slow and is one bairn at a time... 

MTS snails almost do it for me, but I believe they can reproduce at a fair old rate of knots, under the right circumstances...  Loads of pros for them, but that's a sizeable con at the same time...  A single MTS might be a plan though...?

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 12:40:49 PM »
A single MTS will soon be a lot of MTS I'm afraid. They reproduce by parthenogenesis, ie they don't need a male. One female can populate a tank all by herself. They are also viviparous, so you won't see any eggs to remove.

I have black MTS in my tanks, just because I prefer the looks of them to brown MTS.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 07:16:36 PM »
I like your tank, and your fish are lovely.  :)

I have a small magnifying glass to look at tiny critters in my tanks.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 09:34:45 PM »
Your tank is stunning

Couldn't agree more...  ;D
I like how you have mixed the different substrates. And the plants look very healthy.

By the way what is the black and white plastic thing in the bottom of the first photo??

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 11:29:26 PM »
Thank you Littlefish & Matt...  :)

I like the idea of a magnifying glass, maybe one of those reader lenses type affair, for looking more closely at what's going on in the tank...   :cheers:

The plastic widget there is a "seaweed clip", from eBay, for holding down veg stuff for the Lemon BN Plec...  although, the Amano shrimp and the Rabbit snails usually get there long before the BN even realises she's been given a treat, especially if there's a piece of red pepper on the go...   ;D

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 12:01:08 AM »
Here's hoping my 10th post means I can start hitting you guys with "Likes" for the nice welcome you've given me here on the forum...  :)

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2018, 09:56:47 PM »
Picked up two more Rabbit snails today, juvenile ones of around 10mm and 12mm, from my LFS (Wharf Aquatics) for the princely sum of £2 for the pair...   ;D

Got a total of five Rabbit snails now, one huge Black Spotted, a medium sized Golden, a baby Black Spotted which must have been born in the tank shortly after the biggun' was introduced, then the two new ones are hard to tell colour precisely - one looks to be another Golden but the smallest one looks to be black fleshed but with yellow/golden antennae... 

The two new ones went straight to work seeking out summat to eat, bless 'em...  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Hello Folks... "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post March 19, 2014, 05:16:12 PM
by jesnon
6 Replies
Last post October 10, 2014, 07:48:51 AM
by ColinB

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: