• Likes On This Users Post 2

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Hello Folks...
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 06:55:53 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Wow - that looks fantastic. Definitely keeping this hidden from my fish or they'll get envious! Is that some gravel/pebbles/small stones you have near the foreground/shorter plants? If so, it creates a lovely natural effect.

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2018, 10:37:57 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Yes, but normally it wouldn't be there...  There's a thin "bar" of sand only along the front of the tank, which bulges deeper just in a little from the left hand front corner...  The rest is gravel...  The Corydoras are little sods for managing to routinely rearrange numbers of gravel pieces onto the sand area and I have to manually put them back - a real nuisance of a job tbh as I have to do it one piece at a time with the long tweezers...  Looks great when it has been just done - just doesn't last long before those Corys are nose deep and rearranging everything again, lol...  I suspect the Amano shrimp also play a role in this, but to a lesser degree...  :)

When I origionally planted the tank, the back edge from around the half way point and up to the rh corner were all some random Echinodorus species and one of them in particular was really not doing well...  I had wanted the classic Amazon Swords, but could only get these other fellas...  Eventually, I got a proper Bleheri and replaced one of the too slow to grow random Echinodrus...  Only problem now is that the Sword is growing like bonkers, lol...!!!  There's something to be said for the slower growing plants, eh...    ;D

Photo was taken earlier today in daylight and isn't a good one really - will try to get a better shot posted up some time soon...  All the same, thank you fcmf...  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 08:13:12 AM »
Your tank looks fantastic.  8)
You just can't trust corys when it comes to sand/gravel. The constant rummaging around for food always takes priority over tank aquascaping. I'm impressed by your dedication to moving it back piece by piece.  :)

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 11:22:39 AM »
I have a confession to make now...  which is that I don't know how long I can maintain that dedication, lol, as it is a losing battle...   ::)   Does look great though when it has just been done, and the Corys do love that sand area for sure...  I have toyed with the idea of literally "fencing" it off with the use of long flat pieces of slate, just to try and slow the process of the two substrates getting jumbled up - perhaps I ought to do that sooner rather than later...

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2018, 11:49:39 AM »
There, it's done...  Slate pieces ordered...   ;D

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2018, 06:23:56 PM »
Afternoon of tank maintenance & planting today, including approx 33% water change...

Removed Java Fern log, which was looking a bit sorry for itself - never really did look very happy tbh, reckon I picked a duffer at the shop plus it looked like it had some uninvited Java Moss starting to get a foothold...!!!  Also completely ripped out all the Elodea pond weed - a truly invasive fcuker that stuff...!!!  Bit of a shame about the Elodea as I do like the look of that plant, but blimey it grows turbo fast indeed...!!!  Probably an amazing plant for folks struggling with cycling their new tanks though, I'd bet...!!! (just set it as a floating plant - don't let it get a root foothold, ffs, lol)

In the space vacated by the dodgy JF log;  a pot of Echinodorus Amazonicus, split into three nice clumps/plants...  Hope these do well and they should take the place nicely of the miserable Java Fern and do a nice job of blocking too much daylight from the living room window getting into the bulk of the tank, once they get established etc...  Next to these but nearer the front where it is more actively visible has gone a nice looking Ludwigia repens Rubin, to complete that l/h side of the tank and where it should get plenty of natural light to supplement that from the LED lighting etc...  Hoping that helps with the red colouration - fingers crossed...    :afro

In the space where the Elodea was, I have finally planted the Aponogeton Capuronii which I have been dithering about for weeks - just hope and pray that I haven't taken out one turbo fast grower and replaced it with another, although it should be a lot easier to maintain and keep reasonably under control even if it is a spritely thing...!!!

Lastly, towards the front of the tank I have popped in a Bucephalandra "Brownie" and a Bucephalandra "Mini Needle Leaf"...  Can't really call it planting in the conventional sense as these have basically just been placed on small pieces of slate with a bit more slate on top to pin 'em down while they become established...  Really excited about these little Bucephalandras and hope they do well - not to mention avoid the attentions of the snails at their roots...  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2018, 06:36:54 PM »
All sounds very interesting - you've clearly had a busy afternoon. Now we just need to see a pic to accompany your helpful description.  ;D

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2018, 06:40:57 PM »
It's gonna take a l'il while for the clarity to settle back down first as the flippin' Elodea was well rooted and pulled up a fair bit of dirt with it, instantly clouding the tank...!!!  Needless to say, a good old dose of Prime has added with the WC to help with any potential for ammonia spikes as a resulted of the dirt cloud...  As soon as it all settles back down and clears up fully, I shall indeed take some pics and get 'em posted up...  :)

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2018, 06:42:59 PM »
lol, you're right about the busy afternoon...  took ages doing all that, including stuff such as cleaning & sterilising new bits of slate etc and the big clean up afterwards, so as not to get into trouble with Mrs Cookie   ;D    Ready for a nice big glass of wine now, or three, of course...   :cheers:

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2018, 10:07:10 PM »
Sounds good... can't wait for the pics!

Just a note of caution though as I think you have mentioned struggling with a green algae in your tank (green spot algae on the glass?) - this is likely to be being caused by the natural light hitting the tank. It is best avoided if you can through closing the curtains at the right times. I have a short half hour period where the setting Sun gets to the tank and always close the curtains at this point to avoid the Sun getting to the tank.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2018, 11:25:46 PM »
I mostly mean daylight through the window, but as the spring is coming along, there is indeed some sunlight hitting the end/side of the tank...  This is when the sun is fairly low to be fair and has literally only started recently as the year has progressed and the currant bun has started reaching further around the house etc...  As it happens, we are taking measures to get blinds up asap, with an appointment booked for this Friday with some fitters...  :)

At the moment, no problems with algae at all, but I do appreciate that this can turn on a sixpence under the right conditions...  In fact, I may even erect some cover temporarily until the blinds get installed... 

We only moved into the house in late summer last year, so are still not used to the sun patterns here fully yet... 

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2018, 11:34:43 PM »
Thinking about it a little more, I will indeed Matt...  pop something up to block the sun until the blinds are installed...  Thank you muchly for the nudge, as I probably would have waited but on reflection after reading you post now think that's it worth blocking that sun straight away...   :)

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2018, 05:02:11 PM »
Some pics: 

The smaller Amazon Sword; "Amazonicus" and the Ludwigia repens Rubin...

Bucephalandra "Brownie"

Bucephalandra "Mini Needle Leaf" plus some Rabbit snails...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2018, 05:19:54 PM »
Looking good.  8)

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2018, 05:52:55 PM »
Water is still a little on the murky side after yesterday's antics but is getting there now...  Really pleased with the two little Bucephalandra plants...  They're only diddy little things and expensive for what they are, but really kinda pretty to see...  The "Brownie" in the middle pic is flowering too, which is a bonus...   :D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2018, 07:03:50 PM »
The two bucephalandra that you have are more rare than the standard ones, which was probably why they were a bit more pricey.
I have lots of the standard wavy green leaf ones and the deep purple ones in my river tank, and they have also flowered. I'm fairly certain @Sue had some that flowered too. Pretty little flowers, only last a day or so after they have opened, but will flower again.

Offline Sue

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2018, 07:13:41 PM »
Yes mine did flower, in August last year. I have Bucephalandra maia.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2018, 10:36:27 PM »
That gives me the idea for a new thread...   :D

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2018, 11:49:55 AM »
I've had buces, Amazon swords, anubias, and aponogeton flower! Shame no babies ever come of it!...

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Hello Folks... "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post March 19, 2014, 05:16:12 PM
by jesnon
6 Replies
Last post October 10, 2014, 07:48:51 AM
by ColinB

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: