Author Topic: Hello Everyone  (Read 3071 times) 11 replies

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Hello Everyone
« on: July 25, 2017, 07:54:47 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Hi Everyone my name is Russ and i am a total novice at fish keeping. I am learning the hard way at the moment as we went out and brought a smallish tank which has 6 harlequin Rasboras in that are doing fine.

We then decided we wanted more so have brought a Juwel Rio 180 which is going through a fish less cycle. photo Attached

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Hello Everyone
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 08:08:47 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Russ and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

Nice tank, and great to see that you are already aware that we love to see pictures of tanks, and added one to the first post.  :cheers:

What fish are you planning for the new tank?

Wishing you a rapid fishless cycle and I hope that you keep us updated with lots of posts and pictures.  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 08:10:13 AM »
Welcome, Russ :wave:

Glad that the harlequin rasbora are doing fine; assuming from what you write that you didn't do a fishless cycle with them, then keep monitoring water quality (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) regularly, and that should keep you/them right. I have harlies too - lovely fish.

Great re the larger tank - it is very impressive, so you must be a natural aquascaper. :) That larger tank will indeed give you more options. All the best with the fishless cycle - the guide on this website should keep you right. Any thoughts yet on what fish to have in it?

:fishy1:

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 08:28:12 AM »
Me and the wife have some idea what we want to keep.

12 to 15 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Cherry Barbs
6 Peppered Cory Cats

Maybe some kind of centre piece fish or  another small school of something advice welcome.

Bristlenose Pleco or Ottos

We did do a fish less cycle on the small tank for about 2 weeks have since read we should have left it a lot longer but petsathome said give it a week would be fine and we took what they said on trust. On the small tank Nitrate 0  Ammonia 0 Nitrate 0.

We tested the big tank yesterday and the Nitrite was 0.25  Ammonia 0  Nitrate 0

Did not buy the fish from Petsathome we went to Watermarque which have been really helpful. 

Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 11:33:36 AM »
When you say you did a fishless cycle on the small tank for 2 weeks, did you just let it run or did you add ammonia? And are you adding ammonia to the new 180 litre? Pets@Home would never have mentioned cycling  :(

Something you could consider, if you can source them, is 6 standard cherry barbs and 6 albinos (orange males, yellow females, both with red eyes) That would give you a big shoal of cherry barbs that looks like 2 shoals of different fish. Fish behave more naturally in bigger numbers  :)
I am a covert to the 'lots of individuals of few species' rather than the 'minimum numbers of lots of species' method of stocking  ;D

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 12:49:49 PM »
Hi yes i ran it fishless for 2 weeks and added API quickstart before adding 6 harlequins  I have also added it to the new tank 2 out of the last 3 days.

I love the cherry barb idea thank you.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 02:19:15 PM »
Ahhh, that is not fishless cycling, I'm afraid. Even if it contained the right species of bacteria, without adding ammonia the bacteria won't multiply. You need to add ammonia either made by fish (technically that is still fish-in cycling) or from a bottle. Using bottled bacteria without ammonia doesn't cycle the tank.

The most highly recommended bottled bacteria products are Dr Tim's One & Only (which is hard to come by in the UK) and Tetra Safe Start. Both of these contain the right species of nitrite eaters, and the use of this species is copyrighted so no other product contains them. But even they do not cycle a tank instantly and the bacteria need to be fed ammonia.

However, your tank looks to be fairly well planted, and plants use ammonia as fertiliser. Provided you take it slowly and monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels daily - and do water changes if you see either above zero - you might get away without cycling the tank.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 03:01:55 PM »
Thank you very much sue i just managed to order some of that doctor tims one and all . i will add that and then monitor the tank levels over the the next few days. I guess i got lucky with the smaller tank. I should of joined this forum before i even thought about setting up the tank.

Live and learn i guess thankfully the fish are fine in the small tank.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 03:49:16 PM »
You will need to add ammonia with Dr Tims. The company recommends ammonium chloride rather than ammonia but ammonia will work just as well.
Or add fish a few at a time.

Here is the method for fishless cycling https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fishtank-filtration-and-cycling/fishless-cycling-how-to-do-it/ but with live plants in the tank the first dose should be 2 ppm not 3 as a lot of plants don't like it that high.

What are your plans for the small tank? If you don't intend keeping any fish in it in the short term, you could move the fish and all the filter media into the 180 litre, add Dr Tims and stock slowly. Since you don't actually need the carbon pad (the black one) you could replace it with the media from the smaller tank. Then once the 180 was fully stocked, you could always move the media back into the smaller tank if you do want to keep fish in that one.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 04:32:08 PM »
Yes i am closing down the small tank when the 180 is ready. So do i move the fish and old media the same time ? Or do i move the media first . i am not sure how to go about what to move and when. I already removed the carbon sponge. A week or so ago.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 04:44:04 PM »
Think of the fish and filter media as paired. They should move together, within a few hours of each other. Move both across and wait a few days for the fish to settle. Then I would get a few more harlequins, test every day for ammonia and nitrite and if they stay at zero for a week, get a few more, and so on till you have all the harlequins you want. Then add cherry barbs the same way. Add the Dr Tim's when you get it, that should help (provided it hasn't got too hot or too cold on its journey to your house).
Once you have enough barbs, get the cories; by now there should be enough fish in the tank = enough bacteria to get all the cories at once.
Once you have the cories you'll need to add a meat (fish or shrimp) based sinking pellet to the food as they won't do well on flake. Cherry barbs are very good at picking over the floor of the tank looking for bits of food so they'll clear any left over flake. I used to have some  :)

Leave the otos until the tank has been running long enough to grow some algae. Bns will eat other things besides algae so that could be added sooner.
It is common for otos to just die shortly after being added to a tank. There are two reasons - not enough food in the tank, and they way they are treated before you buy them. Always wait until they've been in the shop for at least 2 weeks so the weak ones will already have died, and choose the individuals with rounded bellies as that shows they are eating properly.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 05:08:14 PM »
Thank you very much for that detailed advice Sue you have been very kind and informative. It's very much appreciated. I will keep you posted and pictures as i progress.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: