Author Topic: Greetings from Sweden  (Read 3071 times) 8 replies

Offline Wilwa

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Greetings from Sweden
« on: October 31, 2016, 05:54:33 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all!

I'm Emelie - nice too meet you. I'm from Stockholm, Sweden, and have just bought myself a tank after a long period of thinking. Feels so thrilling to finally get this going.

I've opted to go for a Juwel Rio 125 litres (81x36x123). Decorated it some days ago and looking at it is already so soothing even though the aquarium is lacking of the fish.

I'm so looking forward to fish keeping and having a solid hobby to busy myself with. The past couple of days I've been reading about fish here and fish there and fish everywhere, looking at aquascaping on Youtube and what not, making lists of interesting fish and putting all kind of information down. Still deciding on what fish to really go for, but it feels like it's ever so slowly coming along nicely.

Best wishes,

Emelie

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Neon Tetra (9) - Zebra Danio (2) - Glowlight Tetra (3) - Panda Cory (8) - Swordtail (female) (7) - Swordtail (male) (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Greetings from Sweden
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 06:59:28 PM »
Hi Emelie, welcome to the forum  :wave:

The Rio 125 is a nice starter tank - I used to have one till I upgraded to 180 litres.

Do you know how hard your water is? In the UK, our water suppliers' websites usually have that information but I don't know about Swedish water companies. It would be worth checking to see. The hardness of your water will affect the fish you can keep.

Have you read about fishless cycling yet? There is a thread on how to do this here

And finally, one of the best resources for information on the differing species of fish is Seriously Fish. This site has information on the water requirements, tank size and compatibility with other species.

Offline Wilwa

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 07:15:59 PM »
Hi Emelie, welcome to the forum  :wave:

The Rio 125 is a nice starter tank - I used to have one till I upgraded to 180 litres.

Do you know how hard your water is? In the UK, our water suppliers' websites usually have that information but I don't know about Swedish water companies. It would be worth checking to see. The hardness of your water will affect the fish you can keep.

Have you read about fishless cycling yet? There is a thread on how to do this here

And finally, one of the best resources for information on the differing species of fish is Seriously Fish. This site has information on the water requirements, tank size and compatibility with other species.

Hi Sue,

thank you!

Yes, I'm very pleased with it this far. Looks so much bigger than I had thought, in a good way of course, and very pleasing and well fitted in my flat.

I do, yes. The water is soft, bordering on medium hard during the summer. Up until know I've just checked all the fish that I could be interested in, going to filter through it looking at parameters such as water hardness and temp now.

Yes, although I'm running it after what my local fish store said to me. They said that buying testing kits and such wasn't necessary at the moment and that it was just fine for me just letting it run whilst adding Easystart (bacterial combs system) from Easylife once a week for 3 weeks.

Oh, another site - that's great. I'm going to take a look at that one as well. I've used Think fish's information and a Swedish fish guide site, but the more the better. Also, I just love doing research so, the more material I can shift through, the happier I get, haha.

Neon Tetra (9) - Zebra Danio (2) - Glowlight Tetra (3) - Panda Cory (8) - Swordtail (female) (7) - Swordtail (male) (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 07:25:17 PM »
Lesson number 1 in fishkeeping - don't listen to the shop. They usually give bad advice.

Just letting the tank run and adding a bottled bacteria product is not fishless cycling. Most of these products don't cycle a tank properly as most of them contain the wrong species of nitrite eating bacteria.
A lot of shops will ask you to bring a sample of water in for them to test before you get fish. This will show that your water is perfect. This is because you have not yet added anything to make ammonia. As soon as fish are put in the tank they excrete ammonia and the level starts to rise.

Please take a few minutes to read through the fishless cycling link I gave you. It explains what fishless cycling is and how to do it.

If your cousin is giving you some fish, could she also give you some media from the filter in the tank that the neons are in? This would seed your tank and make the cycle faster.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 07:36:01 PM »
Välkommen, Wilwa/Emelie!  :wave:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 08:48:20 PM »
Hello Emelie and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

Offline ColinB

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 07:45:39 AM »
Hello Emelie, and welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place to get lots of friendly help and advice about starting your new hobby.

My advice; in the wise words of a little green latex gnome.... "patience, you must".

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 09:12:40 PM »
Welcome, Emelie, looking forward to hearing about your progress  8)

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 10:20:39 PM »
Welcome to the forum. :)

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: