Greetings From NZ

Author Topic: Greetings from NZ  (Read 2679 times) 7 replies

Offline Millso111

• Tropical Fish Forum User
Greetings from NZ
« on: September 27, 2016, 11:46:25 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Guys...

I used this site previously when looking to stock my first tank a 68-litre hexagonal tank I inherited from work when the business moved.

Hard tank as a first one, hexagonal high tank with poor lighting.

Have now secured a 240-litre 1.2m long tank which is much more conducive to decent fish environment and good natural plants.

Have CO2, going for South American community species, glow lights, harlequins, maybe panda corys or chain loaches, would like to try hatchet fish but don't think I can get them in NZ.

Want natural plants, have 2 X T5 White and pink (that is standard fit-out on this tank), hopefully that's sufficient to provide medium light at least - not sure if that will enable carpeting plants...

Soul substrate or similar under combo of gravel and silica sand through the centre...

Knowledge here seems pretty awesome, so happy to take any feedback and advice going forward.

Cheers  ;)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (6) - Serpae Tetra (10) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Penguin Tetra (20) - Blue Tetra (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline AndreaCC

• Fishy Member
Re: Greetings from NZ
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 11:52:29 AM »
Hi Milso :) where abouts in nz do you live? I'm from Auckland and would highly recommend Hollywood in Albany if you're there. I'm pretty sure they sell hatchet fish as well. Your tank sounds fantastic though :)

Offline Millso111

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 11:59:20 AM »
Hi Andrea...

I'm in Timaru, so Albany a bridge too far, but thanks for the thought.

Redwood Aquatics in Chrustchurch could be my go-to-store...

Just hope I can successfully get natural plants going well in this tank - hopefully learnt some lessons the hard way in my previous tank...

Cheers and all the best...  :cheers:

Panda Cory (6) - Serpae Tetra (10) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Penguin Tetra (20) - Blue Tetra (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 12:16:58 PM »
Hello, Millso, and welcome to the forum.

I'm not too sure what's meant by a soul substrate - it sounds kinda spooky! :))

There's a lot of love for Panda cories on this forum... and,errr..., chain loaches and harlequins are both Asian, not S.American. ;)

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Millso111

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 12:20:19 PM »
Hey Colin....

Should have been soil, not soul Lolol

And thanks re fish origins - learning already  :)

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 05:52:27 PM »
Hi there Millso and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

Yes, lots of love for the little panda cories here. I have a group in with my betta.
I also love my silver hatchet fish, which I have with penguin tetras, glass bloodfin tetras, and amano shrimp.
I had a very panicky moment a few months back, which turned out to be quite entertaining when I was moving them to a different tank. The hatchets are known for jumping. I was down to trying to catch my last one when I heard a splash. Couldn't see him in the tank, and it had sounded as if he had jumped out of the water. I checked the floor around the tank several times and was getting a little upset, then I realised he'd jumped into the net.  ::) All fine now in their re-planted tank.

I'm looking forward to seeing your 1.2m 240L tank progress. Please post lots of pictures.  ;D

Offline Millso111

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 08:05:15 AM »
Hey Little-Fish...

Enjoyed your story re the Hatchets, had read they're jumpers...

Will try to progressive photos and post.

All the best...

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 08:06:30 PM »
Welcome, Millso!  :wave:

Looking forward to reading how the tank progresses and helping if I can.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: