Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
Re: Beginner help please
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2020, 08:14:57 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi @Orientnut

It's always wise to ensure that your tank water is well-oxygenated/aerated. You don't necessarily need an air pump/air stone to do this. Just ensure that the water surface is mildly agitated. You don't want it like a mirror, if you see what I mean. Careful positioning of your internal filter or external filter outlet pipe should take care of this. I would also advise against adding any plant fertilizers at this stage.

What do you intend to do about the Tetra SafeStart? It really is worth adding some to your tank.

JPC

I second this good advice, I currently run a internal filter and a sponge filter with air pump

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2020, 10:37:31 AM »
It is important to keep nitrite down. Nitrite binds to the oxygen receptors in the fish's blood and stops oxygen binding. The blood turns brown and nitrite poisoning is sometimes referred to as brown blood disease. Basically, it does to fish what carbon monoxide does to us.

Offline Orientnut

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2020, 01:47:23 PM »
Thanks all. I added the 50ml tetra startsafe earlier today as well. How often (if at all) do you add more startsafe? Nitrite has come down by 0.5 since yesterday.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2020, 01:50:49 PM »
I’m not familiar with that product but the instructions on the bottle should be followed to avoid unnecessary wastage or pollution of the water.

Good news it is on the right track and we’re working towards a 0 reading.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2020, 02:39:15 PM »
I think that Safestart is one of those products that say they contain all the bacteria required for a tank. If that is the case then you shouldn't need to add any more after the first time, even though the bottle says to add some after every water change.
@Sue  is our tank cycling expert, so I'll leave it to her to explain whether the product contains the correct bacteria as she is far more knowledgeable with regards to these things.
As for having to use it again, especially with water changes, I wouldn't have though there was any need to. Once you have grown your bacteria & finished cycling your tank you shouldn't need the product, unless you do something like rinse the filter media in tap water rather than old tank water, or do something else that may disturb the bacteria.
Glad to hear that your nitrites have come down.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2020, 06:49:35 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
What Littlefish is referring to is that when bottled bacteria products were first brought out they contained what they thought was the right species of nitrite eaters but we now know is the wrong species. Dr Tim Hovanec did research into this while working for Marineland and discovered which the right species was. Marineland and Tim Havonec copyrighted the use of this species. Marineland was taken over by Tetra who rebranded Marineland's product as Safe Start. Tim Hovanec left the company,and set up his own, which makes Dr Tim's One and Only (which is harder to get in the UK). For years only these two companies had the rights to use the correct species.
These two products Tetra Safe Start and Dr Tim's One & Only, are known to contain the correct species of both bacteria. It may be that other brands are also using the correct species now under some agreement, but we don't know which they are.

You may as well use all the Safe Start that you have to cycle the tank, but once cycled you don't need to use it unless you do something to kill the bacteria (some medications do this, and not dechlorinating the new water at a water change during the first year or so can also kill them)
The product instructions will tell you to use it routinely but then they want your money.

Offline Orientnut

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2020, 09:07:57 AM »
Would I be right in thinking my aqua one PFI100 filter isn't very good? I'd be happy to upgrade to something better. This is the one that came with my tank when I bought it.

Offline Sue

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2020, 09:59:55 AM »
I can't find that filter by googling it. What is the name of the tank? Aqua One's website should have the manual, which will include the filter.

What is the media inside the filter? Sponge is just about the best medium for small filters, but many contain nothing but carbon cartridges.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2020, 03:08:13 PM »
I've managed to find a picture of it at https://www.gumtree.com/p/pet-equipment-accessories/aqua-one-pfi-100-internal-aquarium-filter-brand-new-unused-/1303852360 and its 'service pack' at https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/aqua-one-service-pack-for-aqua-aspire-55-aquarium 

To me, this filter seems perfectly fine - although service packs often advocate changing the filter media, I wouldn't bother ever changing the sponge part - best to keep it to retain the beneficial bacteria to process the fishes' waste (unless of course it completely falls apart). The phosphate and carbon pads might be useful, but would need regularly replaced once they become saturated.  I'd remove the carbon pads and possibly the phosphate pads too, and replace both with more filter sponge, then keep these permanently in situ. 

If you ever need to medicate the tank, then you could use the carbon to help remove the medication after the treatment course. If you ever find you've developed a lot of algae, then the phosphate pads might come in useful to see if those help remove it.

Offline Sue

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2020, 02:26:41 PM »
I can't find that filter with a description anywhere - it's not on Aqua One's website and there's no manual there either.

If the service pack is all that is inside the filter, I agree with fcmf that removing the carbon and phosphate pads and replacing them with plain sponge would improve the filter so you wouldn't need to replace the whole thing.
Any brand of filter sponge will do as long as it can be cut to the exact size of the carbon and phosphate pads. If you could find a coarse sponge and a fine sponge and put the coarse sponge first in the direction of water flow to catch the big bits, then the fine sponge last in the direction of water flow to catch the small bits that went through the other sponges, that would be the best arrangement.

Offline SusieQ

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2020, 04:28:50 PM »
I keep a product on hand called Prime (made by Seachem)

Prime is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh and saltwater. Prime removes chlorine, chloramine and detoxifies ammonia. Prime converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank's biofilter. Prime may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/ nitrite toxicity.

Is used a lot here in the states but you still have to do the water changes to get the toxins out of the water but this should save the fish in the mean time.

Have any of you used this before?

Offline Sue

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2020, 08:37:40 PM »
Prime is widely available all over the world.

It is useful during cycling, but since Seachem won't say what's in it I prefer not to use it in cycled tanks. There are other water conditioners which also detoxify ammonia, though only Prime claims to detoxify nitrite

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Beginner help please "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 12:47:48 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post September 02, 2013, 07:45:57 AM
by ColinB
5 Replies
Last post July 18, 2014, 01:27:59 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post March 11, 2015, 10:52:13 AM
by Helen
4 Replies
Last post September 09, 2015, 04:46:57 PM
by Richard W
7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2017, 06:06:22 PM
by greekgypsy
205 Replies
Last post November 16, 2019, 06:23:32 PM
by Alostangel

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: