Compatibility Question

Author Topic: compatibility question  (Read 4267 times) 7 replies

Offline Lellynelly

• Fishy Member
compatibility question
« on: October 26, 2016, 11:59:04 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Can I put my lone torpedo barb in a tank with 3 rosy barbs?
the torpedo currently shares a small (50L) tank with 2 angel fish but I feel it would be better off in a slightly bigger tank. I have a slightly larger one (60L) containing 3 rosy barbs so was wondering if it would be compatible, or whether is would upset the rosys as it is so much bigger

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: compatibility question
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 01:40:33 PM »
Hi Lellynelly,

Seriously Fish is a bit more up-to-date than Thinkfish's Fish Profiles - we do intend to resume updating them soon, though.

Looking at this http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/sahyadria-denisonii/, it seems that a torpedo barb actually needs a tank twice the length of your bigger tank. It also seems that the rosy barbs http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pethia-conchonius/and the angel fish http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pterophyllum-scalare/need a bigger tank than they're in too.  How old are each of the fish currently?  They might be alright while very young but you may find problems (health, territorialism) start to set in later on down the line.  If they're very old and the remnants of existing shoals, then it's possible that they may see out their final days where they are if somehow it's not been causing too much of a problem that you've noticed.

You have a few options:
* getting a bigger tank, if you can make the space for it [and provided that all these fish would be compatible with one another - only have a short lunchbreak so unfortunately can't check this up for you just now] - you may pick up a good bargain second-hand
* selling / giving away the fish via a site such as Aquarist Classifieds (which increases the likelihood of them going to a good home with an experienced fishkeeper than selling through generic websites) and re-stocking your tanks with fish more suitable to their current size/capacity

Are either of these a possibility at all? If not, we'll collectively try to figure out what might be for the best, or someone else on here may be able to suggest an alternative.
 :fishy1:

Offline Lellynelly

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 05:43:45 PM »
Hi fcmf. the 2 angels and the torpedo were given to me along with the 50L tank 18 months ago. There was also a foot long Pleco in there! I put the pleco in my 120L community tank where it was happier but it has since died. in the 120L community I have 2 small adult plecs, 2 yoyo loaches, some harlequins, some tetras, and a few mollies. I don't want to put a large lively torpedo in there now they have all settled after George the Giant's death and are enjoying their peace and tranquility again.
I realise the 60L isn't much better than the 50 but I thought that it would be preferable for the torpedo, especially as the 3 rosys take up less space than the 2 angels.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 06:58:47 PM »
Hi Lellynelly,

I can understand not wanting to interrupt peace and tranquillity once it's been restored.

Great that you have a 120-litre tank - that would be a more suitable home in line with the requirements of the angelfish, the torpedo barb and the rosy barbs. How would you feel about some swapping around? For example, the harlequins and tetras (depending on the type) might fare very well together in the 60-litre tank without any other tankmates, leaving the remainder of the fish in the 120-litre tank along with these new tankmates.

@Littlefish is an expert on swapping fish around between tanks, while @Sue and others have more experience of the other fish and whether they might all get on together. It might just be that a little experimentation is required.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 08:29:54 PM »
I have to admit that neither tank is really suitable for the torpedo barb, also known as Denison's barbs and redline torpedo barbs. They are big, fast swimming fish. And they should really be in a shoal. Personally, the ideal for this fish would be to find someone who has a shoal and give it to them.
Until then, it needs to be in the longest tank you have, which is probably the 120 litre.
The rosy barbs could also do with a bigger tank as they usually grow up to 75 mm with some occasionally reaching 100 mm. Again they need to be in the longest tank you have.

The good news is that the two species are compatible, especially as regards temperature - they both need slightly cooler water than most fish, with 25 deg C being the upper limit. As their range goes down to 16 deg, somewhere around 20 deg would by ideal for both.

I agree with fcmf, you could move the tetras and harlequins to a smaller tank, but again they would fare better in the 120. But not with all those fish in there.

I would give serious thought to rehoming both barb species.

Angels also need a bigger tank than 120, one at least 100cm long and more importantly, 50cm tall. They are tall fish and unless they have that tank height they can end up doing a Jaws imitation.

Sorry to say this, but I'd also rehome the angels  :-\

Offline Lellynelly

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 06:39:10 AM »
Hi people thanks for your replies. I think I have a solution. I have a 200 litre (4 ft) tank that I bought 18 months ago with the intention of setting up as a marine. But after lots of research I have been in 2 minds as to whether I have the time, finances, or skill to do it, which is why it still stands empty. So my current situation has led me to make the decision to set it up as a tropical. I bought the necessary equipment yesterday and set it running, so it is now happily cycling. Once cycled I will put the angels in there and probably the torpedo.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 11:35:33 AM »
That does sound the best course of action.

Don't forget you can use some of your old media to speed up the cycle.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 07:05:35 PM »
Good idea.  :cheers:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "compatibility question"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post August 04, 2013, 05:40:56 PM
by Gaynor
5 Replies
Last post January 13, 2014, 06:56:04 PM
by dbaggie
2 Replies
Last post May 10, 2014, 07:53:57 PM
by dbaggie
23 Replies
Last post September 17, 2014, 08:37:36 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post August 21, 2015, 05:05:52 PM
by KieranWD
1 Replies
Last post January 17, 2016, 04:57:57 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post October 26, 2017, 08:32:00 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: